Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Why repeat? Are there different options?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Why is it that there is constantly the question "what are you doing for aftercare?". I've had friends make it with no "aftercare". In fact, both my grandfather and my wife's grandfather have been clean over 50 years without it and think that it is ridiculous. My bro seems like he is doing ok after 3 years. Why criticize some who do what works for them?  I'm not saying that I don't need it nor do a lot of people. It seems to me that the people who stay on this site forever are preaching what worked for them as the only way to go and it seems to be predominantly women. I know that there are some guys, too....but I won't go I to that. I apologize if this sounds inflammatory-just observations from lurking and experience. I'm just tire of the constant "what are you doing for aftercare". I know that people are trying to help but some people need to quit thinking about it. And yes, there are studies that back that up.  However, it only includes certain personalities.
I am one of those people who quit and just needed to quit thinking about it.. no aftercare. You are right, some people need aftercare and others need to forget and move on.
Thank you! I appreciate someone stepping up and agreeing. This is a great site but I was scared that everyone would jump down my throat for those comments.
You just posted on two separate sites suggesting aftercare .  Was that sarcasm?
Redundancy?Rote?   Now you have have this to say.  You are entitled to your opinion but pick a road and stay on it.     Just my observation...

V.
I am one of those that do preach and will continue to do so.  I dont think anyone is criticizing anyone here at all just by asking that question.  Feel free to join in on the forum and give your thoughts on how to stay clean.  We are always open to new suggestions.  Until then you will hear what are you doing for aftercare as addiction is bigger than we are and we cant do it alone.......sara
If you want to try it with no recovery care that's on you you will relapse but some people have to learn the hard way .That's the way I had to learn ... It seem kind of ridiculous that you would want to put down aftercare . Addicts need all of the support they can get if they want to stay sober. I have been clean 2 and a half years now with aftercare ....The time before I did 6 months without aftercare then I relapsed .... So for me the proof is in the clean time ..
I notice on your forum name the again at the end.  Enough said.
I read threw some of your other posts you already have relapsed that right there is the reason we push recovery care ...
I have gotten clean and sober a number of times - sometimes 6 to 8 months - one time for over a year.  But without some sort of aftercare - I always seem to end up back in the same cycle.  I can't forget - if I don't remind myself constantly where the drugs take me - my need for instant gratification, my amazing skill of denial - will take me to the - "just this once" place.
The other thing I notice is that without aftercare - besides being clean and sober - nothing much changes - I am still unhappy, frustrated and unable to cope well at times.  The skills I should have learned over my long history of using don't suddenly appear just because I am clean.
For me staying clean and sober is a lot of work.
I said that becaus I have been through different types of recovery care. They haven't seemed to work so I can't figure out if I need to just quit talking about it with psychologists and coming here to think about it all. Man addiction is tough with no clear solution. You know?  Those resources educate you.  
You say you have had different types of recovery care, it works if you work it......sara
what i have observed over the years, for about 80 % of ppl, u are absolutly right, and that  whole pushback against drugs, using, & the unmanageable life in an organized way with other ppl really works for them hence na/aa!
for the other 19% of ppl that live life without any substances and enjoy life (not being a "dry drunk")and what has worked for them is they seem to really, just not hear about it, not see it, not travel in those circles, (forget and move on)and it works, but sometimes by going to these meetings and events it is a trigger to want to use, and unfortuantly 99% of ppl go way overboard when they use!ent
all i know is everybody is different and there are ppl that i have seen get sober and enjoy the rest of there lives w/out substances or na/aa although it is more rare,.
it really goes to the "disease concept" if it really is a progressive disease or not, or just impulsive behaviour developed due to childhood circumstances, or other traumatic events in ones life, the science has opinions in both areas, but if one believes in the progressive dis. therory then every "addict" (however that is defined") would be in a different stage .
and then the question could be asked how long could someone be in the say,, early stages , mabe his/her whole life, if progression is different for every one.
so, there really is alot to think about, and i like to look back in history as a place to start,because the cvilizations view always changes, this might very well be looked at quite differently 150 years from now.