Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax And Grapefruit Juice?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Xanax And Grapefruit Juice?

its been 6months but im back lol. and been clean the whole 6months too..anyway,my question is about xanax. iv been on it (with a legal script) for about 3years. i recently got a new script with a dosage increase, im 0n 1mg up to four times a day. anyway i got a "leaflet" with my new script saying DO NOT drink grapefruit juice with xanax cuz it can increase the sedation effects of it..does anyone know if thats true? cuz i usualy drink that or orange juice 4the vitimin-c..im tryn 2stay healthy for once...
Avatar n tn
to your post about grapefruit juice and xanax...it IS contraindicated because it increases blood concentrations by stopping the metabolism-----meaning the levels of xanax in your blood increase because the grapefruit juice makes the body not metabolize the xanax at the normal rate....  Hope this helps!  Good Luck and Congratulations on your recovery!!!
I know that you're not supposed to take it with valium either because it has the same effect.  I take a blood pressure medicine that has that warning on it also. I've just switched drinking my grapefruit juice to lunch instead of breakfast.  
Good luck,
Yoda
Hi there,

Yeah, I have been taking Valium for a while now, and you DO NOT want to drink Grapefruit Juice.

I asked the RX about this, and it will cause the medicine to work the way it supposed to, because the Grapefruit juice does sometype of cleansing in your liver.

Hope this helps,

God Bless,

Todd
Avatar n tn
If grapefruit juice cleanses the liver, I'd better go get a case.  Good to know.