Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax and fertility

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Xanax and fertility

I have been pregnant 2 times.  The first successful, the second ending in miscarraige (miscarriage).  Both times were very easy conceptions, not really even trying.  My husband has been on xanax for about a year now and we are wondering if maybe that could be interfering with conception now.  We have been activly trying for 7 months.  The miscarraige (miscarriage) was 9 months ago.  Have you ever heard of xanax having side effects involving sperm count?
Paige,

1)  What about calling a fertility specialist?  Just tell them you may be looking for a specialist and you would like to talk to a Nurse or Physician's Assistant. Then just ask them the question.  In the event you would ever need them it would also be a good way to size them up and see how they treat you.

2)  Also, what about going to the internet looking up the manufacturer for Xanax and find out all the Chinese fine print that they have on medications.

3) I have been taking Xanax off an on as needed (mostly for sleep) for quite a while and I can tell you that we had two healthy kids.  But, I did not take anything while pregnant.  And I am female so I dont know but this may change things too.

4) Did I understand that you have one child now?  Have you thought about having your husbands sperm count checked?

Paige, I am so sorry for all that you have been through and what you are going through now.  Think about some of the ideas above.  If there is something that I can do as far as helping or research let me know.  I dont know if you have every posted here if not WELCOME!!!!!!  And if you have been here before WELCOME BACK!!!!   This is a FINE group of people.  They keep me from dropping of off a bridge. I don't really mean it like that but you will find that so many people here are going through the same thing.  Sometimes so close to what you are going through Paige it is Scary!!!
Again Please Let Us Know If We Can Help You!!!!!

Sincerely,
Kimmie
Thanks for answering so quickly.  We actually just thought that the xanax could be interfering yesterday.  I get more and more anxious each month, so we're starting to look for potential problems.  I havn't thought about a specialist yet, I hate to think that there really is a problem, ya know?  I just keep thinking that it will happen next time! I have looked at the manufacturer of xanax, but can't seem to find anything.  It's such mumbo-jumbo! I'll try the fertility specialist, maybe they can answer my questions.  Hopefully there won't be any side effects!  Thanks for your help!  Oh, how the heck do I find a fertility specialist?  Are they in the yellow pages?  I've never thought about them before!
Can you ask your OB GYN to give you some names.  Have you had any girlfriends who may have been through this that you could ask.  Do you have a pharmacy that you use often?  What if you asked the pharmacist about any names that she may know.  I know that sometimes shots and meds are involved so maybe just maybe they would give you a few leads of who they might know and recommend. Remember too,  being a nervous wreck can rock your world.  How may people do you know that either got pregnant after adopting kids or after they gave up on kids.  It is so early in the game.  Please hang in there.  And PLEASE let us know what you end up doing.
Sincerely,
Kimmie
My doctor told my wife and me to never take xanax or any other benzodiazepine while trying to conceive. He said this is essential for conception and to NOT to have a baby with birth defects. Several OTC products can also cause infertility and birth defects according to my family doctor. Always check with your doctor before and during pregnancy. Frank
I just found out I'm pregnant!  Thanks so much for your info.  I'm just so cautiously optomistic right now! Wish me luck that this one goes full term and is healthy!  Thank you!
Fantastic!! Congratulations to you, and good luck.  Brian  P.S. What a nice Thanksgiving gift!
I had a question about xanax, my husband has been taking it on and off for a couple of years now and i just found out im pregnant for the first time. we are  very worried that it may have some effects on the baby.