Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Zoloft

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Zoloft

I am going to try to quit smoking.  My doctor prescribed Zoloft. Why?  I am not depressed. (I am 66 and have smoked since about 14).
Are you sure it was Zoloft and not Zyban?  I was prescribed Zyban to help me quit smoking and it worked very well.  Its generic name is Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant, but a side effect of it is that it decreases the need or craving for nicoteen.
It is Zoloft (sertraline HCI). In a blister package, 3 week supply. Maybe it works the same as Zyban?
hmmm...  I guess I don't know if it works the same or not.  If I had to guess I would say it doesn't because I have taken Zoloft in the past for depression and I tried to quit smoking while on it (I tried many different times to quit), and I don't think the Zoloft had any effect.  Like I said, the only thing that help me quit was Zyban.  Maybe you should ask your doctor about why Zoloft was prescribed and not Zyban?
Looks like I need to research this more. Know any good "quit smoking" sites.
you could try www.zyban.com  I don't really know of any others, but I would look for them on a search engine such as excite.  good luck.
Zyban is a very effective medicine to help stop smoking.  You need to take it for 10-14 days before it starts to work, so pick a date - say 2 weeks away - that you want to quit smoking, and start taking the Zyban immediately.
Zoloft is NOT used for smoking cessation - Zoloft is almost exclusively used for depression, though sometimes it can be used for chronic pain as the pain often depletes the body's ability to deal with stress.  Zoloft is typically used for long periods of time - 3-6 months or longer, and like most anti-depressenta, it takes 2-3 weeks til the benefits start to be felt.
I believe your Doctor made a mistake giving you Zoloft.  It will not work to help quit smoking.  A 3 week supply is a typical course of medicine for Zyban when prescrivbed for smoking cessation, but a 3 week supply of Zoloft would do anyone little good. You should contact him and let him know what you have found out here, and get the proper medication.

By the way - a previous posting stated "Wellbutrin" is the generic name for Zyban.  That's not accurate.  The medicine is too new to have a generic equivalent.  Both Wellbutrin and Zyban contain "Bupropion", which would be the generic name if one existed at this point.  Wellbutrin is the version of bupropion often prescribed and intended to treat depression, while Zyban is used for smoking cessation.  (Though some Docs prescribe Wellbutrin to help stop smoking too..)

Good luck stopping smoking! I'm sure you will feel better!
Thanks Bill.
"By the way - a previous posting stated "Wellbutrin" is the generic name for Zyban. That's not accurate. The medicine is too new to have a generic equivalent. Both Wellbutrin and Zyban contain "Bupropion", which would be the generic name if one existed at this point. Wellbutrin is the version of bupropion often prescribed and intended to treat depression, while Zyban is used for smoking cessation. (Though some Docs prescribe Wellbutrin to help stop smoking too..)"

Actually...zyban is wellbutrin...but in a smaller dosage, wellbutrin is for depression & they discovered it supposedly had an effect on addictive tendencies. I can't take wellbutrin, it gives me panic attacks....sigh....

I do take zoloft for depression...and no..it doesn't do a thing for the addictions...
I am quiting smoking again for the 50th time. Been off a month now. I like the sound of this zyban. Is it available in Australia . I have never heard of it??
Hello - I was on Zyban in the states (about one month).  I assumed either Zyban or Wellbutrin would be here in Au.  Alsa, that's not the case.  But I did hear that Zyban was in it's first trials here?  Is that true.  When on the drug it was very effective!  I'd say a 3 month period would do the trick.
What are the side affects of Zoloft??? I have a friend who is taking it and she says she feels better because of this medicine.   Does anyone know the side effects?????
If you return to this forum I'm sure someone will know the side effects of Zoloft.. I do not... it's an antidepressant and this is probably why your friend feels better. I am replying to let you know that you can go to any pharmacy and ask to get a printout or package leaflet on any prescription drug. You will be able to read the possible side effects from common ones to very rare ones. I have done this on occasion even when I was not there to pick up a prescription. Hope this helps.
please tell me if their is a side effect. i am currently taken this
for severe headaches.
is their any sideeffects to zoloft, i am taking for severe headache
for severe headaches.why is this being rejected
The most common side effects associated with Zoloft are: nausea; diarrhea; insomnia; tremors; dizziness; sleepiness; dry mouth; sweating and delayed orgasm.  You may not experience any of these, or your symptoms may be mild.  With most antidepressants, if your side effects do not significantly resolve in 7-14 days, your physician should probably try a course of a different antidepressant.  We are fortunate to have many excellent antidepressants available for treatment.
In my experience, Zoloft is an addiction.  The only reason I can say this honestly is because I was on it for about 2 years.  I made the mistake by quitting cold turkey.  I only went off because it stopped working for me and was causing worse side effects than ever before.  I was prescribed it for panic attack disorder and I had symptoms of tremors and dry mouth.  Tremors mostly.  The symptoms that increased over time were the tremors, as I was unable to walk or talk without shaking my arms and hands in a constant motion.  I no longer could even write a sentence.  My boyfriend was constantly worried about me since my shaking got worse and worse.  I quit and now I am nauseated ALL the time, which was never a side effect while I was on it.  Luckily, my tremors went away but I am nauseated and have hot and cold sweats.  I have been off of it for about 3 months and the side effects have still not subsided.  On top of that, I feel hungry all the time but food doesn't go down due to the nausea.  I am very thin by nature but now I look like I am anorexic.  I want to eat but cannot.  I do my best by getting soup down, mostly the broth.  Zoloft in my eyes is VERY addicting, not because you crave it, but because your body won't let you get over it.  I recommend never using this drug.  It should be classified as a narcotic in my eyes.  
it all started with 3 weeks of hardcore workouts and dieting that lead to my arm dislocating
that morning i woke up with a beating heart and numbness in my skull eye  but after  3 months the chiro fixed my c1 that  got rid of the numbness
during that time my gp stuck me on 50 mg of zoloft saying that its all stress wich it wasnt .. maybe seemed like it  
so here i am  6 months later  off zoloft after 3 months of that  clean  when i realised my pc screws up with all my documents on it .. my lower back is pulled out  chiros fixing it ... and my dads sick  
but yet no emotions ????
duno wats going on with me but i feel concerned  ...
can someone please help me ???  
i wanna fel emotions again  
someone pleasee  plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz