Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
can withdrawal cause long term/permanent damage?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Very confused about my situation right now. Here's a bit of a backstory...I had to ct off 1.5mg of xanax a day for 3 days over labor day weekend. I didn't realize how addicted I was until I didn't get my script filled and my pharmacy was closed for the 3 day weekend. So sat-mon I experienced awful withdrawals. That scared me so I began to taper immediately after that experience. After a month of hell in september I decided I tapered way too fast as my anxiety exploded and became much worse than before I even started xanax. Now here it is 2 months later and I'm still dealing with a lot of anxiety and even worse stomach problems, no appetite, severe nausea after eating, and pain. I still have xanax for severe panic attacks and noticed that when I take it my stomach feels significantly better...not 100% but better.

I'm confused. Is this a result of tapering too quickly or did my wds damage my body somehow. I've tried to ask my doctor this question but she doesn't even believe I experienced withdrawals in the first place. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I'm really really concerned about this.
I personally don't think it causes permanent damage. Try exercising? 30 minutes of an aerobic activity does wonders for anxiety. If you really push yourself and get your heart rate up and work up a sweat it should help a lot. Try it and let me know how you feel afterwards.

What I think is going on is your increased anxiety from quitting is causing stomach problems. Which is why taking a Xanax calms you down therefore relieving stomach pains.
Anxiety can cause stomach problems.  Some people eat while others suffer stomach issues.....Maybe it is time to explore a bit deeper why you are having so much anxiety.     sara
Benzo withdrawal commonly causes what is known as "benzo belly", you have lots of neural receptors in your gut which can fire up when the blocking influence of xanax is reduced.  This is not a permanent thing & will eventually settle down when the xanax is withdrawn.

Sarah & Nad are also on to something in that nerves alone can cause an upset stomach when you have too much adrenaline rushing through your system.

There are non prescription treatments that can be as effective as xanax.   A recent review found that passionflower or kava worked as well as xanax in many cases.

Cognitive behaviour therapy, belly breathing & as Nad suggested, exercise are also established effective ways to manage anxiety, without having to rely on a substance of any kind.   They can be kind of hard to get into at first but with a good therapist & regular practice, you may find that you no longer need the pills.

Anxiety is miserable & you are likely having some rebound anxiety coming off the xanax but it's definitely worth trying some of the other options as they don't have the side effects of xanax.

Best wishes