Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
hangover and fast heart rate

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

hangover and fast heart rate

Hey guys

I went out drinking all day and all night yesterday, and no doubt I had about a months worth of units, so of course i'm going to feel rather rough today, but, today I have a VERY fast heart rate of about 120, I feel so drained I can hardly walk or function properly whatsoever.

I wondered if I should be worried about my fast heart rate?
I've had anxiety all day also with my chest feeling tight, and feeling like my throught is being squeesed.

Had anyone else ever had these symptoms? and, what could I do to cure it? does anyone know why someones heart may race with a hangover?

Best wishes,

Laura.x
Alcohol can dehydrate you. Make sure you really hydrate yourself today. Dehydration can cause tachycardia (heart beats fast). Get some fluids in you!
Hope you feel better.
Ok thanks I shall do. how about anxiety? I have the feeling of my chest being squeezed, it feels quite tight and heavy, and it feels hard to breathe properly.. it's nasty and quite scary

I would think that if you hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids your heart rate will decrease and maybe you will feel less anxiety. But I am not a doctor, just a nursing student. Try to relax while you drink some fluids. If you have any concerns, please seek medical care. Take care.
ok thanks. I've been drinking fluids, heart rate is rapid but not as fast as it was. anxiety-chest tightness, hasn't deminished however.. and now it hurts from straining to breathe.
yes if it gets worse I'll phone a doctor and ask for advice, but it's probably just my usual symptoms of anxiety making me feel like this.
I am glad your heart rate is decreasing. I should get better. Keep drinking, water that is. Please be careful in the future. Best Wishes
Do you think I could have an intolerance to alcohol? because my hangovers are always very very very bad and last until middnight. My heart goes manic, I feel panicky, faint, dizzy, and ever so anxious. Usually though, I panic, and I feel awake, but now, I feel incredibly tired, energyless, so so drained, and very faint.. infact, I did faint..=(
The hangovers also, get worse, rather then better lol.... the symtoms (symptoms) change all the time, and I find myself on the net tapping away to find answers. I also feel incredibly low when I am hungover.

x
Alcohol Intolerance is an adverse reaction to the ingestion of alcohol caused by a deficiency of the enzyme Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) that is needed to metabolise the alcohol into acetic acid (vinegar). People with an alteration in the ALDH gene should avoid consuming alcohol. Your symptoms sounds like you were dehydrated which can be dangerous if taken too far. I would suggest talking with your doctor about this. Can you stop drinking alcohol? That sounds like a good idea given your reaction to alcohol. I am not a doctor, but obviously, drinking vast amounts of alcohol is not agreeing with you. Take care of yourself and talk to someone about this. Best Wishes
I can stop drinking alcohol but I enjoy it socially, I think in moderation it'd be alot better.... not to binge drink. How do I find out if I have the ALDH gene?

Laura.
Hi peaches. Since you have stopped the cocaine, it sounds like that was not the cause of your anxiety. You say you can stop drinking, but drinking all day and all night is not really social. I have talked to you a few times and it does sound like you have a problem with alcohol, but then again I could be wrong, only you know the answer. I would suggest trying to stop drinking since you can and see if the anxiety and heart rate gets better. If your still feeling like this call your dr. Let us know how you are ok. Good luck.
oh it was only yesterday lol, I don't drink like that everyday or every weekend. I was at an event during the day, then a bbq, then out at night.. lol... was a longggggg day. I do suffer from really bad hangovers however, and they seem to last all day, evening, and night from heavy drinking. I feel so weak and dizzy, i've fainted, and my glands have some up also in my neck.
Any drug, drink, or illicit, has an effect on my anxiety it seems, and it's frustrating feeling like this, i'm sick and try everything, but nothing makes the hangover go away, literally nothing. I am worried i've got some kind of intolerance to it, as this is not normal?
You drink for that long and that much you are bound to have some lasting effects.....doesnt sound very social to me if you can do it all day long.....be careful.  That is a lonely road also..........sara
I had the same symptoms after a night of hard partying.  It became bothersome to the point of having massive panic attacks.  I quit drinking as it was just too uncomfortable.  I'm happy being sober.  It's not fun hanging out with the party gang anymore, but I have other interests now.  Don't mess with your health, I was also falling down and hurting myself.  I used to go to the ER on hangovers.  I sometimes had irregualr heart rhythm that I never had without the alcohol in my system.  I joined AA as I believe my monthly BINGE drinking was a probelm.  I have friends from AA and we have FUN!!
Hi Hun, I don't know how much more experience you've had since this discussion or if you've learned the reasons for your discomforts. If not, I had similar experiences. I could never drink alcohol without suffering massively the next day or sometimes days after drinking. The only relief I ever found was drinking more to relieve the syptoms (symptoms). Alcohol is a depressent and depending upon how much and how long you drink, the more you depress your system, the higher it goes into hyper mode after you are done. So the experiences you have are normal. It sounds like maybe you don't party all the time, but when you do, you party like a rock star. I completely understand. No judgments here whatsoever. I did the same. My body had the exact same reactions. So, think of it this way, when somebody does meth or some kind of speed, when they are done, they go into a kind of depression, low energy, etc. because they used up all of their resources in their system and their body has no choice, but to go into a depression. So, when you are drinking, you are doing the opposite of that. That is why severe alcoholics go into DT's or delerium tremons. Their body goes into such a high overdrive that they start seeing things, their heart rate goes overboard, they can't sleep, etc. It's basically an overload of the sensors as if they were on speed, but worse. Depending on how much and how long they drank, it can go so high as to kill them. I had to quit drinking. I was a party-er and found it hurt more than it was fun. Good luck
This is an old post but it was the first to pop up on google for hangover hard to breathe.  I woke up this morning with the exact same symptoms and the only solution I have found for these is to get some beer and have one or two.  It cures it every time.  Obviously, it means your body is addicted to alcohol and these are withdrawal symptoms.  So for anyone worried that its a heart attack or anything its usually just anxiety from the withdrawal so cure it by having beer.  Then never do it again!  At least drink moderating next time so you won't have to go through this again.