ADDICTION: SUBSTANCE ABUSE
COMMUNITY
hangover and fast heart rate
by peaches84, Jun 07, 2009
Hey guys

I went out drinking all day and all night yesterday, and no doubt I had about a months worth of units, so of course i'm going to feel rather rough today, but, today I have a VERY fast heart rate of about 120, I feel so drained I can hardly walk or function properly whatsoever.

I wondered if I should be worried about my fast heart rate?
I've had anxiety all day also with my chest feeling tight, and feeling like my throught is being squeesed.

Had anyone else ever had these symptoms? and, what could I do to cure it? does anyone know why someones heart may race with a hangover?

Best wishes,

Laura.x
Member Comments (14)
by mom_of_two136, Jun 07, 2009
Alcohol can dehydrate you. Make sure you really hydrate yourself today. Dehydration can cause tachycardia (heart beats fast). Get some fluids in you!
Hope you feel better.
by peaches84, Jun 07, 2009
Ok thanks I shall do. how about anxiety? I have the feeling of my chest being squeezed, it feels quite tight and heavy, and it feels hard to breathe properly.. it's nasty and quite scary

by mom_of_two136, Jun 07, 2009
I would think that if you hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids your heart rate will decrease and maybe you will feel less anxiety. But I am not a doctor, just a nursing student. Try to relax while you drink some fluids. If you have any concerns, please seek medical care. Take care.
by peaches84, Jun 07, 2009
ok thanks. I've been drinking fluids, heart rate is rapid but not as fast as it was. anxiety-chest tightness, hasn't deminished however.. and now it hurts from straining to breathe.
yes if it gets worse I'll phone a doctor and ask for advice, but it's probably just my usual symptoms of anxiety making me feel like this.
by mom_of_two136, Jun 07, 2009
I am glad your heart rate is decreasing. I should get better. Keep drinking, water that is. Please be careful in the future. Best Wishes
by peaches84, Jun 07, 2009
Do you think I could have an intolerance to alcohol? because my hangovers are always very very very bad and last until middnight. My heart goes manic, I feel panicky, faint, dizzy, and ever so anxious. Usually though, I panic, and I feel awake, but now, I feel incredibly tired, energyless, so so drained, and very faint.. infact, I did faint..=(
The hangovers also, get worse, rather then better lol.... the symtoms change all the time, and I find myself on the net tapping away to find answers. I also feel incredibly low when I am hungover.

x
by mom_of_two136, Jun 07, 2009
Alcohol Intolerance is an adverse reaction to the ingestion of alcohol caused by a deficiency of the enzyme Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) that is needed to metabolise the alcohol into acetic acid (vinegar). People with an alteration in the ALDH gene should avoid consuming alcohol. Your symptoms sounds like you were dehydrated which can be dangerous if taken too far. I would suggest talking with your doctor about this. Can you stop drinking alcohol? That sounds like a good idea given your reaction to alcohol. I am not a doctor, but obviously, drinking vast amounts of alcohol is not agreeing with you. Take care of yourself and talk to someone about this. Best Wishes
by peaches84, Jun 07, 2009
I can stop drinking alcohol but I enjoy it socially, I think in moderation it'd be alot better.... not to binge drink. How do I find out if I have the ALDH gene?

Laura.
by gizzy32, Jun 07, 2009
Hi peaches. Since you have stopped the cocaine, it sounds like that was not the cause of your anxiety. You say you can stop drinking, but drinking all day and all night is not really social. I have talked to you a few times and it does sound like you have a problem with alcohol, but then again I could be wrong, only you know the answer. I would suggest trying to stop drinking since you can and see if the anxiety and heart rate gets better. If your still feeling like this call your dr. Let us know how you are ok. Good luck.