Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
health care professional and addicted

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

health care professional and addicted

I've been weaning from tramadol now for almost 2 weeks.  So far so good.  It's not been easy.  Hopefully by this time next week I'll be flushing the remainder down the old toilette.

My question revolves around after care which I know I will need.  The problem is that I'm a health care professional who is somewhat known in the local community. I also don't want this issue to affect my career.

Some advice would be helpful!
There are online options for the very secretive......and there is always a Pastor that will keep things professionaly quiet............ You might want to try a neighboring town or community...  Its moderately important to be successful.   Keep asking until you receive an adequate answer...........
well aa/na are anonymous but there is always the risk of running into someone you know however if they are at a meeting they have there own demons they are dealing with.

Second is a therapist one on one its confidencial .
im in the same position as you ....im a nurse....and on day 5 of no morphine...and feel like hell.....but i have found out that ultram is addictive and not a safe drug...there are many mds out there that think that it is a safe drug....it is not....one thing you c an do is educate that it is not a safe drug.....tell them a  friend of yours or something  but let people know.....i wish i could could give u an answer about somewhere to go for support...but like you dont need to be discovered
Hi....understand the need for privacy and anonymity.  My aftercare consisted of this forum and exercise.  Exercise was in the form of health goals meaning I wanted a certain body weight/body fat %, strength level and cardio level.  Keeping focused on fitness mitigated the need to focus on the meds.  The forum has been great and I have made some wonderful connections here; believe me, you are not alone.

Guy
I'm under the impression after being int treatment many times and signing many privacy forms that your information is strictly confidential, but who knows in this information age. You could go to 12 step meetings a little out of your area, they really helped me, church , exercize. The important thing is that you have someone to talk to that is wise and stable. Tramadol is a nasty drug. It seem like it's harder to get off than real opiates and doesn't even make you high like opiates. It seems to have an antidepressant feature that really messes with your brain chemistry and mood which makes it harder to quit than a true opiate. all the best