Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
help addicted to vicodin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

help addicted to vicodin

I am a 32 year old mother addicted to vicodin I have family members who have this problem and always told myself that would never be me I started takeing a few here and their for the pain in myback and I am ashamed to admit this but soon saw that not onlydid they help with the pain but they also helped block the emotional pain and anxioty I was having at the time my life is wonderfull now I have a good job and a beautifull family all but onething my addiction I am now takeing 6-8 vicodin norco 7.5 a day and want to quit despretly I have afew issues though my husband doesn't. Realize how hard it is and don't think its that hard at all so no support from him also I want to do it cold turkey I don't want to go from stopping one and becomeing hooked on another nothing against those who choose to go that way just not sure if I can do it myself I keep giving my self a quit date but that day never comes I am scared but desprate any suggestions would be highly appreciated also I want to do this on my own no treatment centers I am a verry privat person thanks for takeing the time to read this
Hi and welcome.
Well i can tell you there is a lot of help here, you have come to the right place for help with ur addition.
Look into the Thomas recipe on here.
If ct is what you are going to do. There is a lot of people here here to help you
Have you thought about doing a taper down to lower dose then jumping off?  Other's will be along soon to help you also.
I'm 25 days clean. And would not be without the people here.

You are on a somewhat low dose... Well at least in comparison to me n many others. You could taper. I can't.. if I have them I take them. If u can't either. Then my first and biggest suggestion is STOP reading about symptoms of withdrawl (withdrawal)! You will make it worse then it prob is. Otherwise it isn't that bad. If you don't let it be that bad. 5 days after 3 or 4 you will be feeling better. You will need to give someone else responsibility of your child or what not to make it easier for you. I sent mint to her ggmoms house for a week. Tell your husband to read up on narcotic dependency or addiction. Whatever you feel comfortable calling it when speaking to him. And finally music. It almost helps as much as if you saw a therapist! Good luck. Contact me if you would like.
HI and welcome!  this site is a great place for support and info....let us know if you plan to taper or do CT...we can help you get thru the symptoms of WDs....it won't be as bad as you've made it out to be in your head.....its doable....uncomfy and not fun...yes....but totally doable....if you're in good health then you should do great

just keep coming back and posting and reading posts....keep us updated...we are here for you!
Hi and welcome.  Here are your tickets to get clean and save yourself in the process:

Red flag yourself at doctor, pharmacies and dentist.  If you have a dealer change your phone and tell them to bug off.

Tell your secret to family and close friends.

Get aftercare in some form, NA, AA, therapist, religion, whatever works.

This is all done to protect you and your sobriety.  You should be able to go cold turkey at that dose, no problem.  It will be like you had the flu for a few days.  After detox, then comes the hard part.  Hang in there and keep posting.

Bryan
I suggest cold turkey. Going to suboxone or something will just switch your habit imo... Anyway, although your dose is high, in the addiction world it is not really that bad. Cold turkey would be best. Get the Thomas Recipe things and keep a positive mind> Keep telling yourself that you will be pill free, no longer a slave and your life will slowly come back to you.. Good luck on your journey. Keep posting and you will be clean and happy soon.
God Bless! Sunny
Oh, and although you were at a low dose, this will NOT be easy. You will have many challenges in the months and months ahead, but with a solid attitude and a good aftercare plan you will find your way...
I don't agree that taking suboxone is a bad idea. I had a 30 pill a day addiction for 13 years, if it wasn't for suboxone I never would have stopped taking pills. Going to a medical detox and 2 week stay in an excellent drug program was the absolute best move I have ever made. I personally had no issues coming off of suboxone and I was on a high dose, I actually took myself off of it, I didn't feel like I needed it anymore. My point is that most people here seem to be very negative about suboxone and that's their opinion, but I say thank god for it...it made the difference between failure and success for me.
Also, I totally agree with fireby29...all of those tips are spot on. Coming clean to those closest to you is so key in the start of your recovery..,you will be amazed at how free you feel and how much more strength you will have to move forward. And it is a really hard step but letting all pharmacies know not to fill scripts for you is key as well. My pharmacy of choice was CVS and they offered to call my doctor for me...I had them call to make sure it got done. There is a lot of pride swallowing to do in this process but if you are serious and ready for change ...these are things you need to do.
I dont disagree. I believe that suboxone can help many people and has. If done correctly. And jumping at a high dose of suboxone is not the correct method either. It may have worked for you but tehre is a taper schedule for subs that needs to be used. It has a long half life and jumping at a high mg can be very painful. I just meant in nikkis case, to take suboxone in exchange for a 6-8 day vic habit seems a bit high. It is no magic pill and although some manage to get off subs ok,most have a very difficult time. So imo i would do the cold turkey , but to each his own....
You are correct as well. I didn't mean for my post to sound like I know it all, I will be the first to admit that I don't  I just didn't feel like I needed suboxone anymore and decided to stop with little problems but this is my personal experience. I feel everyone's recovery is very personal and whatever works to keep you sober, keep doing it.
Some really good advice here.   I know it sounds worse than it is, but it isn't that bad.  I came off of 6 - 8 day 10mg addiction and while it was no cake walk, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.   There is no 'good' day to do this, you just have to decide you are done, make a plan, stick through it, get through the ickies, then work on the mental aspect of it afterwards.   This is the most important part, even though at the time it seems like just getting off the meds is.   The only way to arrest the addiction is to not use, detox and not use anymore.   Our minds go through some chemical rebalancing as we adjust to life without pills.   If we could all just detox and move on, then none of us would be here.   We are all here pulling for you.  
Wonderful post....well said.