Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
l-theanine instead of buspar...SAM-E instead of celexa?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

i am still trying to figure out ways around taking all this medication. i am supposed to be taking celexa right now for general anxiety disorder, but still am having second thoughts about it. one thing that concerns me, is i know when i was taking my vicodin for pain issues, of course i felt somewhat numb to everything going on around me. i didn't do as much, was always thinking about how I felt, etc...to the point of feeling selfish. i want to be able to go out and help people in need, and be active and i am just afraid that if i take these kinds of medication, i will become numb to the world around me, which i do not want. but on the other hand, i do deal with a lot of stress/issues, and i know it is not safe to be repressing a bunch of stuff. so if it really is a chemical inbalance, should i/ do i need to take this stuff? like a person with high blood pressure....they are told they HAVE to take it. should i look at this the same? chemical inbalances in the brain and all that....???

thanks for any thoughts!

ps
people in OH get ready for the massive snow blast!!!!
Hey there!
I'm taking L-Tyrosine 500 right now, but not quite sure if it's the best? I know exactly what you mean when it comes to not wanting to do the things we USED to do- we'll get BACK there, but I hope it's soon! lol.. Numb- definitely Me! I haven't any desire to be around my 'better half' lately either, which isn't like me at all.. My desire to work anymore is like diminished- crazy thoughts of being away from the kids have gotten the best of me.. yada yada.. what a mess!
I have, however, discovered that we're lacking proper dopamine levels and other chemicals in the brain that release what we need to feel 'good'.. ya know, that 'ahhhh' feeling.. where drugs were taking over and controlling those before, we're no longer ON those, so our brains have yet to function correctly without them- The good news, is that YES- these herbs we're talking about WILL do the SAME thing, with less effects.. :D
If you go to your search engine and type in 'natural remedies for depression', then you'll get alot of results (this is what I did) and I found out so much about herbs and the way they work- which is alot better than any anti-depressant out there..
If anyone has additional advice, please speak because I also need to know more! :D..
God Bless!
Alli
hi!! how are you?

So are you taking the L Tyro for depression, anxiety or energy? I was taking it because it helped my energy levels a lot, i wasn't sure if it was used for other stuff too? One bad thing about all of the supplements for me, is apparantly my digestive tract or whatever does not absorb them very well! I found this out a couple of weeks ago during some blood work, and the doctor is still not sure what is causing it....so pretty much I can take these natural supp, but my body will not get the full benefit :(
I am fascinated by the brain, how it works, etc....yet i am no doctor so i do not fully understand what is going on up there! i do know that with the experiences i have gone through and stuff that has been handed to me, instead of lashing out with depression and sadness, i repress it or 'internalize' it as the doctor says....so i know all of that has to be effecting how my brain functions somewhat.
i will def google that and see what kind of stuff comes up. i think i have more of an anxiety issue; however i have heard ppl say that and depression go hand in hand...so who knows?!
thanks for the input, let me know what does/doesn't work for you and i will do the same!!! :)

Avisg just explained to me that L-Tyrosine is to be taken in the morning because it could affect your sleep if you take it any later than 11am.. I believe it because I took one of these last night and could NOT sleep for SQUAT! lol.. but it did help with the anxiety..

I heard that St. John's Wort is awesome, and the most effective? That's what I've read..

Anyway, let me know if you find out anything else, okay? Thanks so much!
Alli