Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
losing weight while on methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

losing weight while on methadone

i have been trying to do some research on methadone and weight gain. i have noticed that i am not the only one out there that has gained weight while taking methadone. it would be great if anyone can help or have suggestions on losing weight and if it is easy to do. i have read alot of people asking similar questions but no replys on the subject at hand.
i to have gained a considerable amount of weight and have been searching for help ive tried water pills but didnt see much of a result.I was researching the subject and it seems the liquid form has more side effects with weight and tooth decay.But other than that no answers.
hey welcome to the forum...I was on 150mg of methadone for 6 1/2yrs put 52lb on
but as I weened off it so did the weight I went from 246 to 194 in the 8 1/2 mo it took to get off the methadone...I dont think you can prevent the weight gain but it should be at leat a little comforting to know it comes back off as you taper off and get clean
wish I had more for ya but that was my experience..good luck and god bless...Gnarly
I'm sorry I can't think of a way to soften the sound of this observation, but I recall clearly when I was going to the methadone clinic that everyone there, especially me, looked gray and bloated and had bad teeth. It got to where I was going at five in the morning, before sunrise, and I felt like I was in a zombie movie. Brrrrr!!
Methadone itself does not cause tooth decay. It decreases the amount of saliva in your mouth making it easier for bacteria to hang around and attack your teeth. Any opiate will do that. There are ways to make sure this does not happen. Chewing sugarless gum, brushing and flossing several times a day, rinsing your mouth after you eat, especially sugars. You have to have really good oral hygiene to combat the problems of dry mouth, but it can be done.  

I am also on
m'done and have
gained weight it's
a lot from sugar cause
it makes you crave it
Been on it for 2 yrs now/ 95mg.
How r u doing on it?
Hollie
I am on 70 mil and I have gained a bunch of weight also.  I never had a weight problem before I was on methadone; I HATE being over weight!  BUT I think I'd rather be over weight than addicted to heroin.  I wonder if joining weight watchers or a gym etc. would help?  I tried walking but didn't really loose any weight.  

I wish somebody had some kind of success loosing weight while on methadone....I love to hear about it.
sue
Hey everyone, I'm on methadone too for 6 years now and have gone from 115 lbs of firm, smooth muscle to 160 lbs of cellulite-covered, jiggly fat. Yum. I'm on 70 mg, just like you, Suziblues. Not a really high dose, but enough to pack on the pounds apparently. I have found that it's REALLY hard to lose weight on this stuff... but I agree that I'd rather be overweight than strung out again. I found that on heroin, I was like a skeleton, but on pills I looked good, healthy except for this faint puffiness in the face and belly. The misery that both of these habits bring is NOT worth being thin.
  I think the sugar cravings and general feeling of relaxation and complacency that m'done gives are a big part of the weight gain. But I also think that changes occur in our bodies- our metabolism slows and we retain water. Neither of those factors make for a slim, attractive shape.
  Since being on methadone, I HAVE managed to get down to 130 lbs at one point. I did it by drastically cutting back on sweets, pretty much living on wholegrain cereal, and walking A LOT. I still had a problem with cellulite though- my legs didn't look smooth like they used to so I hated wearing shorts. Maybe if I had continued my diet and lost the last 15 pounds, the cellulite would've disappeared. But I may never know cuz since then, I have steadily gained until this February. Now I'm on another weight loss regimen, and have lost 10 lbs in 2 months. Not great, being as I used to drop 5 lbs in a couple days no problem, but it's something. Bottom line, it usually takes MUCH more effort to lose weight/keep it off on methadone than off. But I suppose, with nearly inhuman amounts of discipline, it can be done. Good luck, all... I'll keep ya posted on how I do with my diet.
I'm sorry for bumping this up to the top- didn't notice this post was so old!
This is a problem with many people on methadone. When I was on methadone, I never gained weight, probably because I was so poor and didn't work much. This drug can help, but it is often overused or at dose too high and makes people lazy, constipated, sweating too much and for me on higher doses, I had bad dreams and panic attacks. I think if the right type of addicts take methadone  at a reasonable dose, it can be very helpful and help people function better. It seems to me that these days though, it over used and the sky's the limit dosing makes too many methadone pts. zombies. all the best
I gained thirty pounds on methadone!!! I was at 45 ML and am tapering off and am now at 15 ML and am hoping once I am off completely the weight will start to come off. The first few months I gained back the weight I had lost from using but then it didnt stop and I kept gaining past where I wanted to be. Does anyone who has stopped methadone know do u lose the weight once you stop????? L
hi and welcome to the forum....for me the weight came off as I was tapering off I lost over 45lb when I was finely off...its different for everyone but most lose the weight gaind from the methadone sooner or later ...hey congrads on your taper your down to 15ml now
how are you feeling?? the last little bit is the hardest but it is deffently doable I did it and I had a huge habit to break 6 1/2yrs at 150ml when I started to taper keep up the good work and keep posting for support and to encourage others good luck and God bless ....Gnarly  
i have been on methadone for 16 years with a 6 month break you might aswell say anyways i was on 100 mills a day for 11 yrs and i was quite heavy and water retained now im back on it on low dose 50 mg and i dont seem to be gaining any weight .. im 6 foot 157 pounds ..also i found out not long ago that i have hypogonadism and need testosterone therapy due to methadone can any 1 relate ?  aswell as not feeling myself  feeling depressed due to weight loss ..little to say the drs got me confused as hell with all these diagnosis and all its causing me is stress ..what do you think is causing weight loss ?
I'm a little confused, are you still on methadone????  I was on methadone for 5 years, but not anymore.  Before methadone my weight was 175, after being on methadone I balooned up to 250lbs.....after i got off the methadone which has been about 8 months I now way 190lbs.
yes i am on methadone still 50 mg a day and like i said i am loosing weight .i got off 100 mg took like almost a year had a relapse got put back on low dose maintenance and congratulations on getting off methadone its very hard like you dont already know..
I have been on methadone for almost 6 months i to have gained 40 lbs!!! I have been on 110 mg for about 2 months now. I started doing atkins 3 weeks ago religiously without any weight loss I am so depressed and frustrated i was 120lbs at 5'4 when i was a junkie...Now im 159 lbs. My dr. thinks that the methadone is  messing my thyroid up..I had blood work yesterday to confirm this and am waiting for the results. Has anyone been put on a thyroid hormone replacement medication, and did it help to lose weight???? I have been looking for weight loss sucess stories with methadone patients but have had no sucess...Can u lose weight on methadone is my question?
HI and welcome to the forum...I  was on methadone for 6 1/2yrs and also gained the weight over 50 lb but once I started to taper off it the weight came off as I tapered off
part of the problem is it slows down your metabolism the other part is most people crave sweets wile on it so its a double edged sward how long have you been on it???  and have you ever thought of getting off of it?? I know it was one of the best decisions of my life it so so worth it in the end not to be chained to the liquid handcuffs..good luck and God bless....Gnarly  
Hi there, Ihave been on methadone for almost 3 years now. Started at 80 mg per day and now at 50 mg per day. My Dr. is trying to get me down to 30 per day. Heres the thing. I take mine at home,once a day. Can I safely taper down to this 'mg' within a reasonable time frame, and will it help me with this gosh aweful weight gain. Ive NEVER been over 135lbs, even when pregnant with twins. Now, I weigh 160 and its insane because its evident inmy face. Everyone i know says I have never looked better, but i think its absolutley repulsive. Any comments are welcomed...
              I have been on methadone for over 5 years and I gained 40 pounds really fast. I have gained 75 pounds all together. Just about everyone I know gained weight when they got on methadone, half of them gained a lot of weight(like 80pnds). I had always been in great shape. I was athletic and spent a lot of time at the gym and doing cardio. I still work out but not with the same intesity because I get no results on the weight gain end. I my weight will fluctuate between 220 and 240 pounds.
               I have started tapering and have come down from 230 milligrams to 115 milligrams now. Im hoping that the weight will drop with my dose and that the side effects will do the same. I sweat like crazy, which I think is because of the water retention. And the body is trying to loose some of that water. I think that life is better without herion or pills, and it is also better without methadone. So hopefully I can live that way and make it work. Good luck to everyone else on the quest for sobriety!
HI and welcome to the forum...weight gain is really common on methadone ...it slows down your whole metabolism and most people wind up putting on major weight I went from 185 to 247 in the years I was on it....once I got off I lost all the weight gained and now my body is doing a reversal and im loosing to much weight...if your tapering off stick around the forum for help and support you will need it when you get to the lower doses it gets hard to do then
keep posting and start a new thread by going to the green box at the top of the page marked post a question you will get a lot more responses this is an old thread
good luck and God bless....Gnarly  
Hi, I've been on the liquid methadone for over 10 mnths now. I started with a dose of 15 mg and eventually settled at 35mg. I didn't notice any weight gain and I looked fantastic, my Dr. was shocked that I was healthy and looking great but unfortunately the addict in me liked the methadone feeling of euphoria and thought myself infallible to weight gain so I began quickly increasing the dose until I hit 60mg/day and of course I gained about 15lbs. I'm miserable and I hate how tight my jeans fit. I'm extremely diciplineed and don't eat too much nor any junk food but the weight isn't coming off. Essentially, I decided to go down on methadone and last week I asked to go to 50mg/day, I hope this begins to help and I'll let you all know.If anyone thinks I'm going about this the right way I'd love to hear it as far as the lower dose goes I feel great and I'm not at all uncomfortable/

V

V
I have been on 220 mills for 2 1/2 years.  I gained 60lbs over that time.  I decided to join a gym, and I stuck with it for 3 months.  The only success I had was it toned up everything very nicely.  I decided I could live with that until I ween off the methadone.  I have been off the methadone now for almost 1 yr, and I only have about 5 more pounds to get where I was originally.  I have come to the conclusion that every pound was worth my getting clean.  Especially being that the weight came off!  So to all that is worried about your weight gain dont.  Concentrate on getting clean successfully, and when you have that taken care of then everything else wont be so hard.
hey i have been on methedone program for 4 yrs now 150mls a day i have gained  alot of weight,and other medical problems on the methedone i am enemic, swollen up like a balloon.is anyone else having problems on the program besides weight gain?? i hate the weight i barley eat and i just keep getting bigger.my sugar craving have been gone for a few yrs now.does anyone notice when your dose is higher than 50mls and you really go up that, thats when the weight really comes on,  thats what i noticed for me,i went through a pregnancy i only put on 18 pounds and looked great i was only on50 mls by the time i gave birth.but after as my dose increased so did i,now i am hudge and it is so uncomfy i hate it, i am going to dr. and start to tapper down and get off. hope to hear from someone!   have a good one to all!  sacha.
HI welcome to the forum....I was on methadone for 6 1/2 yrs at 150mg and also put the weight on went from a slim 175.....im 6'1'' all the way to 247 its not uncommon to gain weight on the stuff the best news is once you decide to come off it the weight comes off to this forum can really be helpful to you when your ready to come off it  it was God sent for me
I always look for the older posts on methadone and usually find people like you seeking help
it best if you go to the top of this page and click on the green box marked post a question
you will get a lot more responses that way....I have helped a lot of people get off this stuff id you like I can help you also it not ez to do but it is doable with some encouragement and support I wish you all the luck in the world when your ready to get started hit the green button a start a new post good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
I am on 130mgs of methadone I've been on it since march and have gained 50/60lbs and I'm MISERABLE. I've never weighed over 115 in my life. To be quite honest some days id rather be a junkie again than this big. I know I'm not ready to bring my dose down but I know if I don't start loosing weight I will detox too early and relapse. Please if anyone can help, I am desperate. I'll basically try anything
This probably sounds obvious/dumb, but how is everyone's eating habits? Since detoxing from oxy, I'm actually trying to gain a few pounds, but I have noticed that in the process of wanting to get better/healthier to overcome the WDs, my eating habits have changed drastically. I have only had two fast food items in the last 39 days, and probably the same amount of sweet treat types of things. I haven't had one soda, and do at least 1.25 miles a day walking or jogging on the treadmill.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I stated the obvious. I literally try to talk myself out of the treadmill everyday, but I keep on keepin on because the memories of WDs are forever etched in my mind. Hope everyone feels much, much better soon.
HI....its hard to loose weight on the stuff most people experience what your experiencing
on the bright side when you come off it the weight comes off to wish you the best of luck when your ready to detox let us know we can help you come off the stuff right now work with N/A or A/A and build up your foundation to get you ready to come off it dont just take the drug and do nothing to get your life in order good luck and God bless.......Gnarly
I stumbled across this, because that was my question. So I hope it ends up in the right place. Or minds! If you know a better place, feel free to cut & paste away, because I realized I knew some key info. Info to aid you, and help your dr.s help you. Summary of me 8yr iv opiate addict. Methadone &clean 4 yrs, 120 mgs. Gained 80 lbs after first 7 months & after a miscarriage (non-methadone related). Am tapering now. Here goes:
Methadone screws up some people's endocrine systems (at the h-p-a axis, which is hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal). Particularly adrenal, which controls cortisol, sending our bodies into a constant fight-or-flight mode/stress mode. Adrenal problems include thyroid, diabetes, lupus, edema, acute weight gain, etc. Low fat and exercise may hold the problem, but won't reverse it. Eating like a diabetic (no sugar, no carbs) is closer.
Methadone is also the only opiate that works osmotically (through water) in the body. So water pills only push it out faster. The edema is not water, so it is not affected. The only diuretics that will work are those that work on the adrenal system, like spironolactone. And again, hold, maybe slight reduction, but no reversal.
Unfortunately, if you have these side effects, tapering is the only answer. But it is one!  So you might have to weigh where you are. After 3 yrs of being told I was just fat and lazy (I'm 37 & life average weight is @ 125!) and running through wrong diagnoses and reacting to the meds because they weren't the problem, I finally stumbled upon an old doctor who knew everything I had spent 3 yrs trying to show someone. I even had a food journal where I hadn't eaten over 1200 calories in 6 months, and gained 20#'s! We are using the lowest dose of metformin (a diabetic pill), as it seems all methadone patients with this problem show pre-diabetic, and the spironolactone for the edema, which had gotten so bad I now wear shoes 2 sizes bigger, and for a while couldn't even get flip flops on. I have no edema, and that round, cortisol belly is shrinking. These two things also sped up bowel movements. (I also take 2 stool softeners 2x day. We don't realize how BACKED UP we are!) This has taken 6 months, and I have lost 18 lbs. I had begun tapering and was noticing more symptoms subsiding when I had several extreme life events occur, so I went back up. All came back, and took longer to go away. His recommendation (which he concluded after 30 yrs of experience just as a GP) was taper 10 mg every 2 wks, or faster if I could handle it. I am lucky in that I can have small "aids" if I encounter problems, for short term, like ambien, phenergan, valium, baclofen, neurontin. NOTE: we discovered neurontin made me worse, but that's not always the case. At 20-30 mg in my taper, a 30-day suboxone taper, and then mental health treatment & monitoring. BTW-He is not affiliated w/ my clinic, who supports all the info, and have shared it with others who needed it, but they do not confirm methadone causes this. In long, (vs.short. HA!) I wondered when it would be time. What sign would there be? And God said, here, idiot. What more do you want? I hope this helps people understand, points them in a direction, or at least lets them benefit from my 3 yrs of reading D&A, medical, and endocrinology journals;5 different drs with wrong answers; and one cool old doc who's seen it all. Good Luck and Godspeed y'all!
i hate the fact that i have gained weight on methadone.  I have been on methadone for over 3 years now, and i used to weigh 128 lbs.  I now weigh 195 lbs.  I admit its also hard for me to look @ myself in the mirror anymore.  I just want my old body back!! :(  Methadone does slow your metabolism down, and make you crave sugars like crazy! Everytime I try to diet, I gain several pounds.  I don't understand it.  Also, everytime I try to exercise I am soaked with sweat.  I will be walking for only 20 minutes and my back will be dripping and my forehead will be dripping sweat down my face too.  It's disgusting.  I know this is a side effect of methadone because I talked to the nurse @ my clinic about it.  I just wish there was a way to lose some weight or exercise without sweating perfusly.  Heather
I have been on methadone for 10 years. I know a long time. I have had two children while on methadone with has slowed down any hope of getting off the stuff. I have been tappering off 2 mgs a month. I am on a high split dose. I use to be very thin. I am 5'9 and weighted 125 since being on methadone I am now197. I have gained 72lbs. I want to cry. I hate what i see when i look in the mirror. Thank you to all of you who posted because I now have hope to lose weight as I continue to tapper off. I am excersing 5 days a week but I crave sugar like crazy. I also had a problem with my teeth and now have false teeth. I thank God for methadone because I was in a dark place when I started, but now I want off safely.
Ive been on methadone for 1 year now,man what a miracle I got my life back,I feel like a person again.  I too hate the weight issue exspecially cause I too used to be skinney now I dont even look at the scale,the girls still check me out but not like they used too.  Ive been tempted too to start going to a gym that has a sauna and sweet some weight off.  so Im going to try it how hard can it be as long as you dont mind heat...  but be carefull check with your doctor cause this might not be best for everyone..  also check your thyroid,Im also in the process of that...  anyone that writes me will get a response..
Hi all! I just wanted to add a bit of support to those having difficulty losing weight on methadone. Methadone slows down your metabolism but it doesn't STOP your metabolism so there is still hope! You have to kickstart your metabolism again which is going to be the hard part. The best thing to do is start with your diet. Incorporate as many fruits and vegetables into your eating habits as possible as well has higher protein, lower carbs. I found that a low carb and high protein diet really helps me while on the meds. Also, you will have to work out twice as hard as most people now that you are dosing for a little while just to get your body back into recovery. This might cause you to metabolize some of your meds so you may have to increase but that's ok! Drink LOTS of water to counter the water weight gain. I know it sounds counter-productive but trust me, drinking water flushes your system and helps you retain less. You will want to drink at least half your body weight in ounces. Trust me, I gained 13lbs in two months and recently lost 5 on this plan. I am actually training for a half marathon right now and feel GREAT (still 8lbs to go but it's better than 80!).

I have gained 50 lbs in 9 months and I'm at 120 dose.  I am on Synthroid and my bloodwork started coming back abnormal 1 month into the treatment with Methadone.  I've been on a diet, called PINK method and have lost 15 in the past 2 months.  It's been very hard...I work out everyday, very intensely and eat extremely well ( no sweets).  Before I knew weight gain was a side effect, I was eating a box of cereal a day and waking up at night to eat.  I'm going to start tapering down and keeping on exercising because 155 and 5'2" is overweight and I'm miserable!

ive been on 105mg of methadone for  6 months now i have gained about 30 or 40 pounds. i now also have high blood pressure that wont go down despite several medications and the dr cant figure out why my bp wont go down. I eat only fruits and veggies and whole grain i cut out sugar fats and sodium. I havent lost one pound and my bp is still 190 over 100 when i wasnt on methadone i didnt have any problems. i am at my wits end and the drs dont know anything. its very frustrating like i almost wanna go bk to using
i have been on methadone for 7 yrs. i got depressed about 5yrs ago and went from 150ls to 220. i feel so horrible. i wear alot of hair and make-up. but im uncomfortable in my own skin. i look so gross. i can feel fat on my stomach, face and everywhere else. i would rather use than look like this
I am on 115 mg of liquid m'done. They don't offer the pill version any more at my clinic.  I was  a size 4 when I started 4 years ago on my 40th birthday.  I weighed about 115 pounds.  I have always TRIED to gain weight!  lol  I now weigh 153 pounds.  It's killing me.  I have tried every diet fad, exercise routine out there and cannot lose more than a couple of pounds so I get frustrated and give up.  It is really depressing me.  Don't get me wrong, I am so glad to be off pills.  I like to think that I am past the wanting pills so I want to taper down on the m'done.  Kinda scary, but I know it has changed my personality. I don't laugh near as much and want to sleep a LOT.  I think i'm gonna start the taper at my next pick up date.  ***** too that I will prob. not get take homes during the taper. Wish me luck!
hi ive been on for 3 years and am tapering by 1 mlg a week,i wait until my body adjusts then go down 1 again. this has been very successful as i am at 16 mlg today. this is a very long process however its working!!!! i am a vegetarian and take lots of vitamins and water as well as an avid juicer. my mornings are full of pain b4 my dose.  the medicine has also made me gain wait. as well as memory loss. im asking for some encouragement to help me know that i can be off and stay off returning to a normal physical and mental state. any suggestions?  i am a firm believer in natural healthy life style so i am not interested in any pharmaceutical solutions. thank you and i appreciate any help on this subject! Presence
Hi Suzi, I saw your post and I wanted to say that I have had some success losing weight on methadone. It was definitely not easy, as it isn't for anyone trying to lose weight. I went from 156lbs. to 118lbs. (Nearly 40 lbs.) How did I do it? I ate less than 1,000 calories per day, usually around 700-800 calories each day if possible, for an entire month. During that time, more than HALF of that 40lbs. was gone. I know that it wasn't a very safe thing to do.. I was practically starving myself. But it did work, and I have been reaping the benefits for almost 2 years now. Also, keep in mind that I am only 5 feet tall, so you can imagine how unpleasant it was to carry around as much weight as I had been carrying. AND.. the funny thing is, all my life I had been a skinny person! When I was 18 years old and started using Heroin and Cocaine, I was about 88 lbs. but never more than 95lbs. and I felt so comfortable being thin. When I got on methadone, I gained a ridiculous amount of weight. It was no doubt the most depressing thing ever. I felt terribly unhealthy. I still hate how much I weigh, although I do feel better than before, by far. But being 118lbs. and 5ft. tall, it's still too much weight for my small frame. My goal weight is 105lbs. but I can deal with 110lbs. if necessary. I plan to lose the last 13lbs. or so by doing exercise videos at home and trying to eat less, but when it starts to get colder outside (maybe October), that is when I really plan to get more active. I have absolutely no tolerance for hot weather AT ALL. Plus, this summer is supposed to have been the hottest on record so far! (Yuck.) Sorry for such a long reply though.. I just wanted to make sure to give all the details so you know what to do if you want to try out what I did for weight loss. Oh.. one last thing I almost forgot: My current methadone dose is 90mgs. I had tapered (willingly) from 150mgs. (yes I know.. it was an extremely high dose) to my current 90mgs. I feel much better at this dose, but would still like to taper even more, as I really hate how this medicine makes me sleepy if I sit down, itchy, gives me dry mouth, sweaty if it's hot, not to mention the constipation.. there's just too many side effects. I hope to get off of it in the near future, but I would be sure to do it slowly to ward off withdrawal symptoms.Well, good luck with your weight loss! :)  --Amanda--
Congrads on your success thus far.  I'm currently tapering.  Started the taper 5 months ago at 160 mg.  Now I'm down to 70.  I also started living and eating healthier.  I have been juicing once or twice a day for the last 6-8 weeks.  I have lost an incrediable amount of weight since the juicing was
added.
I have 2 questions.  Do you find the juicing causes the methadone to metabolize quicker, do you feel "dope sick" in the morning??  Also at what dose did you start the 1 mg weekly decrease?  I go every 2 weeks so I came down 10mg twice a month, then when I hit 100 they only do 5 mg every 2 weeks.  I feel I can go faster but will trust someone other then myself.  any nutritional tips are welcome.

I
How much methadone are you taking?
Hi, Same here.  I have been on 230 mg, and I have been on it since January.  Not that dose, I worked up to that.  I am thinking of going down a bit because of the weight gain and pitting edema.  I'm worried about cravings and all that again. :-(((  It is so nice to talk to others here!

I was doing the gym and walking and I did lose weight. It is possible but where I live now there's no gym.  I'm going to start tomorrow with some DVD exercises...

I'm in Oregon.  I have to travel four hours one way to get to my methadone clinic.  Thankfully I'm M6 so I go just once a week.  
hello I hope that you see this post,
You say that you stayed with hypogonadism due to methadone
Can you  talk more about that?
I liked to know more
I have been on methadone for six years..I was about 100 lbs..then throughout the years I got up to 160..I have been tapering for years..finally got down to a low dose..I'm at 16 from 250..in the last five months ive gone down from 160 to 112 lbs..I have no appetite what so ever..I live off coffee...I feellike ****..but going thru withdrawal you lose hour appetite..now I cant seem to put weight on. Methadone got me away from the lifestyleand has helped me get my life back..but other than that..its ******* ****. Ive never felt so emotional andnlost..but I'm almost off this and I'm sonexcited to start feeling normal. So yes you will lose the weight once u taper low and or comeoff...this medicine saddens me. I realized that methadone didn't help me dealwith my life and such..it numbed everything just like other drugs do..anyone elsenlose their appetite when tapering to a low dose??

Yes methadone does make you feel lazy but you can lose weight on it. OK so most of us that are on methadone were addicts so we spent the time before running and searching for our next fix and that is all we cared about so we were staying skinny. The methadone helps you get your appetite back and makes you sluggish but I'm not sure if it's the done or the drugs that we were addicted to that messed our metabolism up. Anyway, I am 28 female, been on methadone 2 years and 2 months. I am 5`3 when I first started I weighed 96lbs and quickly gained up to 165lbs! But the last 2 months I have been working out every day, cut soda out to only 1 a day and cut calories to 1300 sometimes I eat less. I am already to 145lbs! For my height and build I should be 105-125. You just have to work at it. I think it's harder for woman and your age plays a factor. Also Water water water, drink lots cause methadone does constipate you bad and anytime your sitting with waste in your body it will wreck havoc even on your metabolism. I plan on weening off in June, it has been a life saver for me. Wish me luck. And good luck and God Bless to y'all.
Is there any written studies on tooth decay resulting from the use of methadone? I have been on this medication for at least 6 years and my dental bills are increasing. I have had to pay for a bridge and 8 root canals. Currently, I am looking for a way to appeal to medical insurance to pay for the crowns.

I don't know if there is any hope but if it IS from a medical treatment, It would make sense that Medical Insurance should pay for that.
Hey there girly. your situation reminded me a bit like my own but I am just starting my weight loss, 5 lbs so far which isn't much but it hasn't been long. I am surprised how much harder it is to lose on the done. I am 29 yrs old and 5'4" and have been on done for a year and a half. I had a healthy baby girl 2 months ago so I have allot of baby weight to take off. I was a size 6 when I got pregnant and now im lucky to squeeze into a 14 which at my height is insane. After 2 months and no weight loss after her birth I decided I needed to be drastic and do some research. so ive started a 900 cal diet and my only sugar comes from fresh fruit. Its super hard, I have a 3 year old and a 2 month old both girls and they take a lot of energy and im finding myself low on that these days with my cal intake but nothing else works.. I have 2 kids I cant work out non stop and this weight is unhealthy on me and effects every part of my life. im not insane and have never come at weight loss like this in my life but I did allot of research on weight and methadone and im convinced its the only way to lose any weight at all. I was wondering what your work out schedule is like? we are so close in weight age and height I wanted your advice on how to succeed here. any info helps thanks!
hey there, I have been on done for 1.5 years and just had a baby girl 2 months ago, bc if the pregnancy I gained allot of weight and my dose was split and its very high. I recently started to come down and im starting a pretty radical diet. I relate to allot of what you said, I am 2 weeks away from a major surgery in my mouth that's leading to false teeth and im only 29 years old, talk about a major kick to self esteem between that and the weight I have times I refuse to leave the house. But the done has given me allot too, I now have the strength and support to succeed in my diet, and go to the dentist and do what I need to for my dental health instead of trying to ignore it. so im greatful for all that but some days dealing with the side effects are very difficult.  
Ok so I have been researching for a while now on how to lose weight on methadone. I did find something that works..and works FAST. I have to warn you, it is controversial but you will find many success stories if you search the web. It's called the hcg diet and has been around since a Dr. Simeons brought it to light in the 50's. Basically, hcg is a hormone found in pregnant women and is generally used to help assist infertility issues. Dr. Simeons found that it is also very successful when used for weight loss. HOWEVER, the FDA does not approve hcg for the use of weight loss because there has not been enough research done to prove this.Yet there are many dr's today that use hcg to help their patients lose weight. This is totally gunna sound like I'm trying to promote a product for a company but I promise, I'm not :) Like you all, I've been struggling with weight gain due to methadone and although I am finally tappered down from 120mgs to 45mgs, I'm doing it VERY slowly so I'd like to start losing weight now rather than weight until I am completely off the 'done. So far, I have lost 7lbs in 5 days..Here goes for those interested:

Using HCG for weight loss

You cannot buy hcg in stores, if you see it at Walmart, it's NOT real hcg and you will waste your money. It can be prescribed by your doctor for weight loss in the form of injections, drops (that you put under your tongue) or even pellets. Also, you can purchase hcg online but beware: there are MANY hcg products online and you have to be careful because most of these "hcg" products are not real hcg. It can also be expensive. Anywhere from $40-$160 for the drops and even more for the injections. You can actually lose .5-3lbs a day..yes, it is true. Go on youtube and check out all the hcg success story videos. Women usually lose less than men. It is very possible to lose 30lbs in one 30 day round or even more. But the key is to follow the protocol exactly!

How it works

Ok, after doing my research, I decided to purchase the drops online. You take the drops daily and combine it with a VERY low calorie diet (VLCD). The drops of the hcg hormone used along with this diet, helps in a few ways. First of all, it helps with hunger and makes the very low calorie diet (VLCD) even possible for you to do, because otherwise, nobody has THAT much self control. Also, hcg helps prevent your body from going into starvation mode. In starvation mode, your body starts to burn not only fat, but muscle...which is obviously not good. Hcg helps with this also by preventing your body from burning muscle. So you can't just do the diet without the hcg because it is unhealthy and probably impossible to do. When taken at the right dose, you will experience little to no hunger at all.      

The protocol is broken up into phases. I'm not 100% familiar with the injections because like I said, I'm doing the drops. There are 4 phases. Once you have the hcg and you're ready to start, you do phase 1: Loading. The first 2 days is called the loading phase. You will start taking your hcg on these 2 days but will not start the diet just yet. The first 2 days you eat as much as you can. Usually recommended to eat high fat foods. This is a very important and necessary phase. It helps your body to store the fat you will need later on. This also will help with hunger during the first week of the diet.

Phase 2: VLCD (very low calorie diet)

Day 3 of taking the hcg, you will start the diet. This phase can last from (I believe) 21 days up to 40 days, it's up to you. During this phase, you would be eating no more than 500 calories a day of very specific selected foods. It is recommended you skip breakfast but it's ultimately up to you. Each day you are allowed 2 servings of fruit (apples, strawberries, oranges, grapefruit only), 2 servings a veggies (celery, tomatoes, lettuce, asparagus, cucumbers, onions, garlic..a few more I can't remember..), 2 servings of protein (very lean beef, sirloin steak, white fish like tilapia, chicken breast, shrimp) and 2 servings of Melba toast or grissini sticks. You can spread the food out (example: eat some fruit for breakfast, protein and veggie for lunch, fruit for snack, protein veggie for dinner)..but it's important to stick with only the foods that are allowed AND also to weight your foods. Each serving of protein 100g or 3.5oz, a handful of fruits, ect. Also very vital to this diet: WATER! You should drink about half your weight in ounces daily. Juice from one lemon is also allowed daily, franks hot sauce is allowed and pretty much any spices except sugar (this means no barbecue sauce). Just to give you an idea of what the diet looks like. So yes, it is vital to take a multivitamin daily and also an extra potassium vitamin daily and yes it will take some self control but with the hcg, it is very possible. So far, I have not experienced ANY hunger at all...although I have experienced some other side effects, I'll explain below)

Phase 3 is the maintenance phase.

Haven't gotten there yet, but it usually lasts a couple weeks. You will stop taking the hcg and very slowly start introducing other things to your diet, such as diary...but no carbs or sugar just yet. Like I said, I haven't gotten here just yet so I haven't looked too much into what is exactly allowed during this phase but I do know this is when you stop taking the hcg, to prevent your body from becoming immune to it. This is important if you decide you want to do another round. You must wait 3 weeks before starting phase 1 again if you are looking to lose more weight.

My experience and side effects so far

There are different kinds of hcg drops available online so although it may cost more, it might be best to go through a dr. You gotta be real careful. Not maky products online are real hcg but instead are homeopathic hcg. Don't get me wrong, I've come across many success stories from people who used homeopathic, but really, in these products the hcg is so watered down that there is only a "memory" of hcg in the actual product. I decided to go with real hcg drops just to be sure I got the most for my money and I really want the best results. Just my personal opinion though. The  first 2 days of loading were kind of hard for me because I already was starting to notice I wasn't hungy. I ate as much as I can and only gained a pound from those 2 days. (usually people gain around 4, but lose it the first day or 2 of the vlcd). I'm on day 6 now and have not had any hunger at all! Yet, I do sometimes have sugar cravings. They aren't too bad though. My body is detoxing from the lack of sugar and I do get some mild headaches but each day is better and better. Ibuprofen helps with the headaches so it's not a problem for me. For me, I noticed I would get nauseous and feel a bit weak in the mornings. That's the part I really don't like and I don't understand why this is happening to me when others on the hcg diet forums don't seem to have much of an issue with nausea, vomiting or anything. I'm starting to think I may have a sensitivity to hcg because my last pregnancy I had terrible morning sickness. So I'm going to see my dr today to see what she thinks. So hcg is probably not for everybody! The diet is not for everybody! I highly recommend checking with your doctor first...also I am not an expert by any means and as I said before this diet is very controversial and there will be people who will talk crap about it. In the first 5 days, I lost 7lbs so I know it does work BUT I can't say for sure how successful it is in the long term yet. I usually go by other's experiences.

Do the research yourself! Look it up and decided if it's for you! Then, please check with your doctor! If you have any questions, I'll try my best to help but a place I found VERY helpful is the hcg diet forums (type it in google)

Just wanted to share in case it happens to help someone, anyone struggling with weight loss on methadone. Good luck :)

hi Ray1223
im reading your post,  i know you wrote this a while back, but like everyone else here, i am in the same boat, i would like to know if you can, please send me the name of the hcg you used, i ve read up on it, and it seems great, i was about to see a MD for it, but here in NY where i live its like 600 for a months supply.
ji hollie, heres one for you ive been on meth for 24 yrs and hve gained weight to, but the clinic im in says that its because you are lowering your metabolism, because its a central nervous system relaxer, i know it also slows down your breathing.
I can relate to the eating, and waking up craving sweets. I am also very depressed and feel so unattractive . I am looking for a solution to this problem so if you find something or I find something lets let each other know.