Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
non narcotic migraine medicine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

non narcotic migraine medicine

I get horrible migraines about once every two months.  They are so painful.  The migraines are the reason I started taking pills.  I was wondering if anyone knew a good non narcotic pain medication.  
hi sorry you are having the headaches...i used to get them as well....luckily i haven't had one in a long time....i've read that Imitrex isn't a narcotic so maybe ask about that??  i don't know anything about it, never taken it but a friend of mine did....and when i had them, i took Excedrin Migraine..otc...it seemed to help.  hope you feel better soon!!  
I have tried imitrex b4 and I had bad reaction. Usually the OTC works but when I get a really bad migraine it doesn't help. Thanks for the advice.
yw...and sorry it didn't help....sometimes you just have to suffer thru them...and that s**cks!!  i'd always lay on the bed in a dark room with a cold cloth on my forehead.  
I too suffer from migraines, but a bit more frequently than you.  The first med I tried was Imitrex, which made me very sick to my stomach.  I couldn't keep it down.  I tried Frova, which just didn't work.  Then I tried Relpax, and that was the ticket.  Keep in mind that all 3 are triptans, but that doesn't mean they are the same either.  The Relpax I take makes me incredibly tired, but not sick to my stomach, and it takes care of the migraine within 30 mins.  
I've used Imitrix since it first came out. It also comes as a self-injection (spring loaded) for when you are more nauseated and cannot keep a tablet down. My insurance used to cover Relpax which I think is milder and dissolves under your tongue, helping to prevent nausea. I'm sure there are all kinds now since the original Imitrix patent wore out. With any of these non-narcotics, you do need to take it easy and rest so your migraine doesn't come back. Also, last year i got approved for Botox injections every 3 months that stop the pain signals. You have to have about 15 migraines/month, tried at least 5 other meds, etc. to get approved. Lucky me, I had all that! But it worked for me the first time. Had knots in back/neck that set off the whole migraine thing and the shots stopped that whole chain reaction. If you can find a reputable pain clinic (associated with a hospital), I'd recommend seeing if you can get in! Anymore, I don't think we have to suffer for days with head pain/vomiting or taking a narcotic. See what your doc may have to offer. Good luck!