Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
opiate addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

opiate addiction

My daughter is 21 years old and has been using opiates for approx 4 years.  She is currently trying to get off the opiates.  She has been placed on methodone.  She is in her second week and still having severe back pain and muscle spasms.  Is this normal or should we be looking for other reasons for this type of pain?
Why was she put on methadone? Is there a plan to get her off that really soon. If not, are you aware that methadone is a bear to get off of? Far harder than most opiates. What opiates was she on? How much was she taking per day and per dose?
get her off the methadon, FAST!!!  it is the pits to quit and it steals your personality, memory and health.  it is supposed to help with the pain, but all it did for me was help me to ignore it.  it was still there all the time.  i got off in May, and it took 31 days to get off and i am still feeling some of the effects, especially mentally, of that nasty drug.  opiates are more effective in killing the pain and a lot easier to kick.

Lucy
Ya she needs to get off that.. its like 20+ days of horror once addicted to methodone..You cannot use drugs to fix drug problems..I am highly against that..They can be used to ease it but tapering off or cold turkey is the only way i believe, theres no just moving onto some other drug to help..Its just another opiate.. I would say try suboxone for a few days to get the tolerance down and taper off..no more opiates, even though suboxone is an opiate, it does have the blocker in it too so..Tell her to take it one day at a time and get off all pills in general ASAP!! GOODLUCK!!!
as for the back pain and muscle spasms, did she have this prior to taking meds, or has this just come on since trying to stop?
YOU NEED TO GET HER OFF THE METHADONE RIGHT NOW...IT IS WAY WORSE THAN HERION OR OXYCONTIN.....AND SHE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME ONCE HER BODY ADJUSTS CHEMICALLY TO THAT DEVILISH DRUG...GET HER OFF THAT ....I CAN RECOMMEND A FEW OPTIONS..WHAT WAS SHE ADDICTED TO BEFORE AND HOW MUCH A DAY WAS SHE USING?
J RYDER