Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
pain meds

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

pain meds

i had a question where is everyone getting their pain meds?  doctors in my area totally refuse to write a script.  and if they do they give you very little.  someone i know that is in the health field said the doctors dont write them that much because most of them use them.  i have inherinted migraines i get every month . i have tried imitrax and midrin everything.  and the only thing that works in darvocet and vicodin.  which i very rarely get them so i have to suffer alot with headaches.  now they are trying me on zomig.  but the only thing unfortunetly is the pain meds.  i can see how you can get hooked on them they do make you feel good and want to clean the whole house.  just wanting to know how people get these for up to 10yrs and taking them every day when doctors wont perscribe them
Dr. Steve, MD.  What kind of test would show codiene use?  Urine or blood and how long would i need to be totally clean or at least at normal dosage, before going in for tests. This is not a work related question, so don't worry.  I would like to know what vicoden es is doing to my body.  2.5 es every four hours or so.  I know that i take waaayyyy to much, as i feel my body is suffering.  I would like to go in for a full physical and have a my pap smear,etc...done, but i want to be clean for it.  How long do I need to be clean before which test is to be done?  I often wonder how people stay on these things for years on end. And what doctor would prescribe for more than a year or so. I think it's killing me.  Thanks for any help.  Anyone Help. Neena
Come on buddy, I need your support here. 12 Days and am ready to go back out. You know how I must feel. Come on even if just to say WASSUP! You are a smart man and even if you cant help yourself sometimes, you do help others. Check in and let us know how your doing.
Jacque,
go to this site and find a pain rep in your area.
They will give you the names of compassionate doctors who will treat migraines with pain meds if needed.
If your headaches are being taken care of by Darvocet, then you really do not need an opiod as darvocette is about as strong as tylenol aspirn.

<a href=
<a href="http://www.widomaker.com/~skipb/skiphome.htm.html">http://www.widomaker.com/~skipb/skiphome.htm.htmla</a>

Try the site again, I think I messed up last time
someone please reply or help with my previous question. thanks. Neena
I know for me to take a urine test for probation, it takes at least 72 hours minimum. But that would depend on how much you are taking.
How much were you taking?  I am taking bout 2.5 vicks es every 3-4 hours depending on what's going on.  72 hours?  Is that about what you were taking?  Is it only the urine test that reveals it?  Thanks for help, Ken. PLease Reply, Neen
Neena,
In a normal physical, there are no tests to detect narcotics like codiene or vicodin. Pre-employment and, of course, parole or probation dept tests would look for the metabolites of opiates in your urine. But your family MD won't be testing for those things unless you ask him to. 2.5 Vic ES per 4 hrs? Relax. Narcotics in themselves rarely cause direct damage to the body. As drugs go, they're pretty benign (harmless). What you have to watch out for is the Tylenol in the Vicodin. You're taking basically, 2.5 extra stength Tylenols every 4 hrs. That's about the upper limit of what someone should be taking over a long term. One big warning for you: NEVER combine alcohol with Tylenol. People have died from mixing a few beers with a couple Tylenol! You should be staying away from the booze anyway with migraines. By in large, docs don't like to dispense a lot of narcotics for headache patients. There's a trust issue there, plus, if you really do have classic migraines, the imitrex and other drugs like it should relieve your pain. If they don't, that pretty much tells the doc you don't have true migraines. If they persist, you'll be in for some expensive brain scans and the like. Have you had an MRI? Headaches can be phsycologically motivated, too, and that makes DR's even less willing to put you on addictive drugs like the good ole Vics. I got terrible headaches that weren't migraines for years until I changed professions and started writing for a living, something I love. That "cured' my "migraines." You might take a good look at your life in general. Headaches can be caused by depression and, in turn, perpetuate the depression, creating a neverending cycle. Add addiction to that picture and you'll really be a mess! See a specialist like Dr Steve suggested. Don't go on suffering.
Sorry not to address you properly in my previous message.  My previous post is directed to you. :) Neem
I feel the need to preface my reply by saying this is not meant as a criticism of your previous message. I always find your advice to be very helpful. But...
Can someone really die from beers and a few Tylenol? Or might there be a pre-disposing condition that is being exacerbated by the acetaminophen and alcohol? In my day, I used to take quite a few Vics or Tylenol with codeine...and I would drink, too. And all my addict/recovering addict friends did the same thing. We never had a problem (other than the obvious addiction). There's been a bit of hype in the press lately about acetaminophen, alcohol and liver damage...but most of the evidence re: unintentional overdoses are anecdotal, at best. There are people who have been taking large amounts of Tylenol for years, and seem to be fine. This would suggest confounding factors in the cases that are not fine--like a co-morbidity of some sort.
Again--this is not meant to be a criticism of your post. I'm just interested in your opinion or some additional information. I must admit, I don't know what to believe. Every now and then, when I take a few plain old Tylenol (ie, no narcotic blend), I feel my lower abdomen jump around a lot. And I actually imagine that it could be my liver protesting. But my doc says that's impossible...
two vicoden es and a half every 3 or 4 hours.  i think you got me mixed up with someone else on the board re: migranes (migraines).  i have female and back problems,but still no reason for the misuse of these drugs.  what is the tylenol doing to my liver?  i do drink beer. neena
I'm probably speaking of the same recent stories you cite re Tylenol. If there's ANY evidence of liver damage from Tylenol and alcohol (you know they both damage the liver by themselves), why risk it? It's not as if you have a second liver to survive with, like kidneys. I've been told by many MD's that fatal damage can be done to the liver before the person is even aware of any problem. That's very scary, as far as I'm concerned. I do know that alcohol interferes with the liver's abiltiy to cleanse drugs from blood, causing sometimes fatal concentrations to build up in one's system. I will confess that my weakness is for opiates. I hate alcohol. I think it's a crude and senseless way to get high. I've also seen the damage primarily drinkers do on the road. I have no sympathy whatsoever for drunk drivers. Now, that's a good use for the jail system!
Wonder how long you have to be taking the Vicoden ES before the Tylenol, Codiene does damage.  Can you guys confirm about 5 days of being clean of Vicoden ES will make for a clean urine test or blood test?  I take 2 and 1/2 Vic ES every 3-4 hrs /day.  I have true pain, but I know that I am abusing horribly.  Sharon, your doc says fatal damage from booze and tylenol?  Use for how long?  Seems everyone takes tylenol.  It's everywhere, even in hospitals.   I've got a friend who's doc has been prescribing Vicoden ES for 2 years now.  Where is the concern there?  Any ideas?  Neena
If you are taking 2.5 every 3-4 hrs., you are taking way to much tylenol into your system. I believe that would be about 15 to 20 pills a day, so that is 7500 to 10000 mgs of tylenol a day. And the most you are supposed to take is 4000 mgs. a day. Correct me if I am wrong Tom . But Neena if you drink alcohol on top of that then you can do serious damage to your liver.
How would I know if I suffer from Liver damage? I hear that the codiene itself does no damage, just the tylenol.  Liver damage comes with what sypmptoms?  I drink 2-3 beers /day usually to wine down.  If i stop this...can I save myself?  In your opinion.  Why are these doctors prescribing all of these pills for years on end to these people?  With this knowlege.  Neena
It's not really that hard to get pain meds. Maybe for some who live in the country.  But I live near DC, Annapolis, Baltimore.  There are a thousand hospitals, 10's of thousands of Dentists if you have bad teeth etc...blablabla  I WOULD NOT suggest going out and starting something you don't want to deal with in the long run though.  It will be very expensive, and cost your whole family a vass array of problems.  You could, ("notice I said COULD") become a recluse, grumpy, broke, tired, mean, edgy drug addict.  I know because I am that way.  Especially when I can't get to a dentist or hospital as soon as I want.  I have VERY VERY bad teeth, so... Let that speak for itself.  I have been, still am, and will always be recovering from Percocet 5, Morphine, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, Oxyconitin, Tylenol 3 + 4's , Darvocet (Weak), anything I can get my little hands on.  Most people won't listen to you anyway, but I can try at least.  
I'm not condoning drug use, ther are millions who are not addicted, even more who are.  There are legitimate complaints out there, and most of these people on here have legitimate problems.  I am just saying please don't even think about starting up. After a while you start to think...Am I taking this **** for my pain?  Or..Am I taking this **** for my pain from addiction?  Because it is pain.
as far as I know, you're a thousand percent correct. Look, there are always people who, for whatever reason, take huge doses of something and walk away from it. You don't want to know about the Tylenol (in Vics) dosages I used to take back when everyone treated Tylenol like it was a breath mint. But people have died from mixing tylenol with alcohol. That's a fact. There probably were extenuating circumstances, but who among us can say for certain tonight that their liver is undamaged from their years of drugging? I'm plain spooked by the idea, backed up by several MDs I know, that you can kill yourself through liver damage and not even know it for days. I think we all assume that we'll get some kind of warning to back off before we do ourselves in with our drugs of choice. If you believe these docs, and I do, the warning scenerio regarding tylenol may not happen. How would you like to know you've killed yourself and have 3 or 4 days to think about it and wave goodbye to everyone? There are ways to get the tylenol out and forms of most drugs without tylenol. Why throw the gift of life away needlessly? By the way, they say Milk Thistle, available at the health food store, helps your liver to heal itslef. I keep meaning to get some. Anyone know about this stuff?
You were asking about liver damage do to Tylenol? I have that problem. I drank alcohol and used a lot of Vicodin and Lortab over the years. My liver damage showed up in blood tests long before I felt any symptoms. One day I woke up and noticed my eyes were yellow(jaundice). Over about two years I developed diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, nose bleeds, pain in my right upper abdomin (abdomen), fatigue, nausea, cellulitis, and bleeding from minor cuts that took a long time to clot.
Luckily we are born with twice as much liver as we will ever use and it takes years of abuse to really go into liver failure. I'm operating right now on about 10% liver function. Life isn't easy with a bad liver. Some days I feel like I'm 90 years old.
J.B.
    Sorry to hear.  I haven't had my liver tested yet, I'm only 24 so far, but I've been through alot in such a short time.  I think that if you take anything in excess you will reap what you sow.  So in that I am sorry to hear about your liver damage.  From what I understand there is nothing you can take, or nothing you can do to repair a damaged liver.  I may be wrong but I don't think so.  Will somebody correct me if so?  I have heard that if you take Vitamin B, you can clean out your liver.  I think that is wrong, I was reading about liver damage and it said "Don't beleive thet lies and rumors about liver damage, if it is damaged, it is damaged" will somebody correct me if I am wrong?  Thanks and the best of luck to all of you.  Chad
I forgot to mention that I have Hepatitis C which is a virus that literally eats up your liver. I probably got it from a blood transfusion in 1974 while in the military. Another way to get it is sharing needles and sexual contact(rarely). I'm told that the liver does have regenerative powers as long as you watch your diet, don't drink and don't take Tylenol. Most of the people that I know personally with HEPC, found out while donating blood. They routinely test you for it now and have been since about 1992. In my case, I have had the disease for many years according to my liver biopsy and have extensive damage. At least I know what I will probably die from, ha, ha,!
Hey!  I have been reading your posts...  Why are you so desperate to quit?  What is motivating you?  I mean, you don't just sound like you "just" decided to quit.  Even though you didn't say there was a reason you had to quit, you just sound like there's a time limit.  You sound like I did.  Why are you so worried about a doctor finding it in your system if there isn't a reason?  Just wondering...
Mariah
Living on ten percenct of your liver?  Wow.  Thank you for writing back.  I was aware of the damage that the tylenol could do but still am wondering like after one year would there be damage.  I get nauseated and vomit occassionally.  I figured it was do to lack of food with the vicoden ES. When stopping cold turkey???...what can i expect??...any drugs to help.  I have her Immodium AD and xanax.  Your opinion will be valuable to me.  What is in my clean future?  How long will i suffer from withdrawels and what are they?  Thanks again, Neena
With withdrawals...what shall I expect?  Any meds to take for help?  Right now i still have a whole script in my possession.  I usually think about quitting when I have tons of them.  Funny,huh?  Will my stomach hurt?  I have actual pain, so I am assuming that that will all return horribly, will I vomit, have cramps?  Become depressed, unable to sleep?  Sorry for all the questions.  Thanks for your help and prompt responses. Neena
I would'nt worry too much about liver damage after one year of usage. Your main concern seems to be detox from Vicodin. Like Mahria, I don't know what your motivation to quit is. Sounds like maybe a guilt trip. While I was high and had a good supply, I never thought about quitting. Fear of withdrawals is a way of life for us. Withdrawals are inevitable though and all of us here have survived them. I've done it cold turkey several times and each time I learn something new about myself. There just isn't an easy way to get clean and stay clean that I know of. The urge to use is always just around the corner!
Neena,
You don't want to quit cold turkey from any kind of long term opiate use.Take it from me,I know first hand as I have done it several times in the past.The symptoms are like that of heroin withdraw,I was wishing I would die.The withdraw lasts anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks and it is living hell.Nausea,vomiting,severe stomach cramps and diahrea,chills,sweats,tremors,insomnia,lethargy,joint pain,depression,anxiety and overall body aches.
I just got out of detox and that's the only way to go.They gave me several different meds used to detox from heroin.I was on every kind of pain med you can think of for 5 yrs.and still have chronic pain but I never want to go through that again.I've  never had a drug proble until these docs started writing me those scripts.My life was out of control,I was no better than a junkie on the street,getting those drugs any way I could.Do yourself a favor,get off of them ASAP.I know I feel so much better now,not to mention I have a libido and memory for the first time in years.
Wow! It sounds like you are in a great deal of anxiety and fear of what the future will bring. First of all, Immodium works pretty well for me. I also tried Donnagel. As far as the Xanax, my wife has been taking them for about 6 years with little problem. She had been on morphine for several months for cancer and surgical pain and the Xanax helped her taper off. She still takes one tablet per day mainly for anxiety and sleep.
It sounds to me like you have some real pain and need to take your meds as prescribed. If you can't take them as prescribed then maybe you should talk with your Dr. Also, you may want to talk with your husband about this problem. In my case it took a lot of courage to tell my family, but Oh what a weight it took off my shoulders! Please take it easy and think about things!
Thanks for the truth about the withdrawal symptoms.  My personal ones may be easier or harder, who knows.  Can you two confirm about Immodium AD helping with cramps and bowels problems and Xanax helping with the shakes?  It is out of the question for me to do this in a hospital setting, for reasons, I am not ready to disclose, so just know that I will be doing this alone.  My husband will have no clue and will noone else.  I may be able to get support from NA locally and a friend with a past crack addiction and has been clean for years now.  I am looking at about 2 weeks of Hell, I know.  With a 21 mos.old, my life looks bleak.  I get cramping anyway from female problems, so it's difficult to determine what's what, real pain or not.  I could use your support, as my stash is dwindling...my stomach cramps, just thinking about it.  I need to have gynological surgery for emdometriosis, etc....so my pain is real.  At what point will I know what pain is real or addiction?  Neena
JB. The previous message is to you also addressed to Kathy.  Please respond, Neena
Kathi is right on about detoxing in a hospital setting. There they will monitor your vital signs and give you meds to keep you comfortable. I've done it this way twice and it was a lot easier than at home. Yes, the withdrawals can be pretty miserable! I was heavily addicted to morphine so I can tell you how it feels. First of all is the panic, then depression, then the physical part. The body starts to "wake up" and the bowels start to move. Then it seems that all the pain starts to come back all at once. You kick, jerk, and get hot and cold flashes. You start to sweat profusely as your body tries to get rid of all the built up toxins in your system. By this time you are desperate for another "fix" and will do anything for it. Seconds turn into hours as you struggle physically and mentally with this obsession.  Then you realize that it's only been 24 hours since your last fix. You have halucinations about the drug and try to rip the house apart trying to find it.
I could go on and on but maybe you get the picture. The hardest part of the whole ordeal was and is the depression that stays with you for a long, long time. That's where NA and AA comes along and says "We have a better way to live". Try it!
Imodium is a brand of loperimide. Loperimide is an opioid drug. It's sold over the counter because, as opioids go, it has little central nervous system action. The human body has opiate receptors in the brain, lungs, stomach and bowel. The binding to and stimulation of these receptors accounts for all the actions associated with opiates: pain relief, euphoria, suppression of breathing, nausea and constipation. Imodium (immodium) affects the receptors located around the bowel more than it does the receptors in the brain. So, yes, use Imodium (immodium) agressively, but not excessively, to avoid the runs. Don't try to get high from it by taking large amounts. It won't work and you'll be so constipated you'll pray for death.
Xanax, like all the benzos, starting at a high dose and tapering down on a rigid schedule over many days, combined with all the hot baths or jacuzzis you can stand or get, is your best method for detoxing. Valium is even better but Xanax will do. Get the Imodium (immodium) and take two at the least little indication of cramps. Don't wait til they're upon you. Because Imodium (immodium) is an opioid, it will also mitigate withdrawal to a modest degree. Be glad you can get it. Buy the brand name. It's much more potent than the generic. Good luck.
Been on the vike scene for about i year now but have always tried to keep it down to under 6 to 8 a day Also am taking Xanax, .5 4 times daily for years. Guess will have to up the xanax to get off the vikes as I only have about 50 left and better start to taper quick !!  Have about 6 hundred  1mg. xanax in my briefcase so feel safe there but will I have big trouble with the vike withdrawal? How should I taper with only 50 left  I do have access to about 60 15 mg.  MSIR Morphine sulfate immediate release , but have the feeling I may be digging in deeper!! Anybody have any ideas out there ????????????
The previous message was to Tom and JB.
Neena, you will not be able to go through this alone and care for the young one,believe me.You owe it to the baby. You will have a hard enough time taking care of yourself.I don't know the situation with your mate, but if it's his child involved he SHOULD know.I don't want to scare you, but the first few days there are times you won't be able to get out of bed. And you will not sleep.Don't attempt to go it alone. I'm sure others here will back me up on that one.Good luck.It will end.The physical part anyway.
Thanks so much for the information.  When I run out of Vicoden, I plan to try to stop cold turkey.  I won't have enough Xanax, but the Immodium AD is over the counter so that's easy enough.  I am hoping to run into someone to get a few valium for the bad early mornings.  That's when it's the worst for me.  Once again, I will be alone in my detox...and taking care of a 20 mo old daughter.  No one else can know.  I will contact the one friend that i can talk to and she will hound me to the the NA thing, but I will have to find private time for that and a non-smoking group.  I am terrified, as my source for the Vicoden is always there...i will just have to say NO.  Thanks again, Neena
Stay away from MSIR! It is much stronger than Vicodin and WILL get you in deeper. MSIR and MS Contin were my drugs of choice for the better part of a year. When my surgeon stopped RXing them to me, I simply wrote my own scripts and got busted eventually. This stuff all but ruined my life!  I got started on Lortabs and went full cycle to morphine in one year's time. I wouldn't wish this thing on my worst enemy!  Take heed, my friend.
Yeah Stop
JB,
I just read your posting & I have just recently been caught with a bogus script..I did not write it , but I had it filled at a pharmacy that knows me & busted me after they filled it (1 week later)...The Doctor will not press charges but the pharmacy will?
I just dont know what will happen & I am scared to death..I live in New Jersey & still can not find out how strong the laws are here with the DEA. Any clue..I really need some help..
I just read your posting & I hope you can help me....Please I am fearful that I will be arrested & lose all I have....Sandi
I know the terror you are feeling! I was caught "red handed" when I got busted while leaving the pharmacy. In my case, my wife had to post bail for me. I live in a small rural community where everyone knows everyone's business. I simply agreed to go into detox at the hospital and go through 21 days of drug and alcohol rehab classes plus 90 NA and AA meetings. It was tough but was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. All charges were dropped, thank God! I had no criminal record which was a big plus in my favor.
The guilt, the embarassment, the fear and shame is enough to keep me from doing this stupid insane thing again! I hope things work out for you for the best. You just never know how things will turn out. I think Tom gave you a worst case scenario and I have given you a best case scenario. Stay calm and be focused and be prepared!
Thankyou for your response...Were you caught with one script or were there more? YOu served no jail time? And detox in a hospital,I dont think I could do that..I have my daughter to take care of & my husband works, I am a stay at home mom..I am very scared & very ashamed & just dont know what will happen..My life feels like it will be over & I will lose my daughter & my family..I can not tell my parents, my mom is wheelchair bound & they both know I had a problem years ago, and did assume I was on something a few months ago, I of course denied it..They would never forgive me for this one & my mom is not able to take care of my daughter while my husband is at work..I will need to confide in someone asap..If you dont mind me asking , what state do you live in? I hope you post to me soon...

Thankyou I am very scared....
Hey!  These guys have given you excellent advise, take it!  There is NO WAY you can get off narcotics, especially cold turkey & take care of a baby!  You don't even feel like moving!  Not to mention preparing meals, giving attention, playing & even patience.  It will make it much harder on you & harder on your baby if you do it the way you're planning too.  But, I can sit here & tell you this all day & it will probably do no good, you'll find out for yourself the first day you don't take a pill!  You'll realize there is no choice there to be made.  I gradually decreased my pills & I felt horrible!  If my b/f hadn't been there to take care of our daughter I would've had to have taken her to my Mother's, that is if I could've gotten out of bed!  She wouldn't have known the reason why Mommy wasn't showing her any attention & short fused, she would've just known I wasn't.  You never answered me when I wrote before asking why you were so desperate to quit & why you were so scared of a doctor finding out.  I want you to know I just want to know why so I can try to help you & give you support, no other reason...  You sound like you're in my same situation.  All the signs are pointing that way.  You seem too scared about quitting & that a doctor could find out.  I mean, why would you go to a doctor in the first place if you're not planning on getting a doctor's help & trying to hide it from him.  Why go in the first place?  Are you pregnant?  If you are, I feel for you, you know that.  It's a horrible & embarrassing situation to be in, but definitley not a hard one to get into.  If you are, please do yourself a favor & GET IT OUT!  I lived in fear for months & once I just told the people on here about it, it made me feel so much better.  And when I told my doctor, I felt even better.  I went through hell trying to figure out a way to hide it from my doctor when I went.  If I hadn't come on here & spilled the beans & gotten all this great advise & support, that's probably what I would've done!  Please don't be embarrassed, it can happen to anyone.  The best thing you can do is face it & then deal with it, no matter how hard it might be.  I know first hand, it's tough.  You don't want people to look down on you or think you're a bad person.  I know no woman would hurt her baby if it was that easy to quit, it's hard.  But, the main reason I wanted to know if you're pregnant or not is because if you quit cold turkey, it might cause you to have a miscarriage.  PLEASE DO IT GRADUALLY!  Tell your doctor if you run out of drugs & you have to stop cold turkey!  Your doctor won't let you.  That came directly from my doctor, surprisingly it wasn't new to her.  She said, the main concern when pregnant women are addicted to narcotics is, the withdrawal the baby will suffer after birth & the Mother trying to stop cold turkey while pregnant!  Your baby is addicted to right now.  She said I did it the right way, please get the help you deserve.  If I'm wrong & you're not pregnant, sorry.  It just sounds like it to me, being in the same situation.  I'm here for you.
Love You,
Mariah
PS If you don't want to talk about it on here yet, you can always write to me & we can talk that way.  ***@****
I find this a very fascinating subject.  I was almost willing to try some of this fraud, but from reading I know I will probably get caught.  Tell me a little about you guys stories.  Did you get away with it at all and if so how did you go about doing it.  Don't worry I won't be taking this to the bank.  But these stories absolutely fascinate me.  Joan
HI,
I have made contact for my 1st meeting this Sunday...Also My husband & I confided in my best friend,who thankfully will be there for us no matter what...I do feel as though I am being honest with myself & finally have admitted that I am an addict, to me that was my 1st step in a long line of them..As to being honest with my family-not untill I start receiving help..I need to prove to myself & them I can do this..I have been clean for 3 days now & the withdraw is thankfully not that bad..The cravings are there but I just keep thinking about what is at stake & it helps..I was able to get off Percocet by myself years ago & it was worse then this..I am not trying to make excuses but I have to consider ALL that is involved...This place is a place to be honest & not hide anything,( atleast as far as I am concerned)..I thankyou very much for your posting..
O.K., your life is on the line here and you do need help. This is the time to get honest with yourself and your family. No, you probably cannot do it alone and you can't hide it either at this point. There are always a million excuses why you can't detox and stay sober and I've heard them all.
I know a girl who was addicted to crack and was also a loan officer for a well known loan company. She got busted after embezzeling $26000 dollars. She served no jail time for this and is now in the process of paying her former employer back. She went through the same program I went through and is back with her life and family. Don't make excuses or you might lose everything you ever thought you had. Also, help comes from strange places when you need it. At my first NA meeting I was shocked to see the chief of police chairing the meeting!
P.S. I live in Indiana.
Congradulations! You are on the right track now. Believe me when I tell you that things can only get better now that you have your head screwed on right. You are going to be involved in a lot of decision making soon and you need to "be there" without the drugs making your decisions for you. They give you a false sense of reality and are temporary at best. The phony presription problem is an example of the insanity drugs create in your life. What's next, rob a liquor store? Believe me I've thought about it when I was using. Do the right thing and fly straight and best of luck to you! I'm in your corner.
HI,
Well I met with a criminal atty this am & he advised I WILL NOT be arrested for this..He also advised the DEA will not investigate  me but will be investigating the Dr...He (atty) was able to talk with a friend last night who works for the DEA & was told this Dr.has been investigated before & will more then likely lose his license to write scripts..The Dr would literally give me 1 script per week for 100 tabs-I the "addict" took the script, filled it & took the pills...The atty also said there would be no jail time & maybe probation becuase of the circumstances,& of course there will be a fine.....And since I am going to my 1st meeting Sunday it looks better on me....Thankyou for everything, hope to stay in touch (maybe daily?)...

Sandi
Can any of you guys please post something so we can maybe talk one on one by IM? I have aol and i really need to talk to someone who knows a lot about the amount of oxy's and lortabs i'm taking and just to generally talk about what i'm going to do and how???? PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP IT'S 10-6-2000 1:41PM I'M REALLY DESPERATE TO TALK TO SOMEONE AND FOR SOME HELP! THANKS ANN
Unfortunatly I do not have AOL but if you would like contact me at ***@****
Sandi
tell me something, how do you feel about your doctor being busted?

I will be a little disappointed if you and your husband don't express at least some regret for what's about to happen to him. Ever wondered  what it would be like to get investigated by the DEA?

After all, didn't you "beg' him every week with your eyes and voice, the way all of us do, to get that life-saving script? Didn't you thank god every time you walked out of his office with that stuff?

It would be nice if you and your husband felt at least co-responsible for his predicament. Doctors are human beings. They respond to the pain of others with whatever they have that will help. And they all know what they risk when they refill these controlled substances again and again. I'm sure he isn't a quack. I'm sure he gave you the benefit of the doubt, week after week. And now he may lose his license. Nice. None of us are victims in this life of ours. We know what we're doing. Don't think for a second that any of us are innocent.
For over a decade, I shamelessly cultivated friendships with MD's and then used them for all they were worth. It's the thing I regret most about the life I have led. I don't expect you to go to jail for your doctor, but at least you could show some kind of sympathy for someone who certainly showed you sympathy at the risk of his license. And remember, if you hadn't forged a stolen script, something your doctor had no part in, he wouldn't be in this trouble.

I refused to rat on my doctors. In my case, however, they weren't really offering me much of a deal to turn them in. But I knew only too well how calculated all my interactions had been with my MDs.
What do you think, Sandi? Am I being too hard on you?
Your post touched my heart! Be well and thanks!
Yes my husband & I feel terrible about this situation the Dr. is in...We wish we could make this better for him, if there was anything in the world we could do we WOULD DO IT...I never begged for a script , I didnt have to..Neither did anyone else in his office...I do not blame him, he however does blame himself for many things..Hewas giving me 3 scripts a week for 3 different Narcotics, (Percocet, Lorcet & Oxy).I asked many times to get off only to be told I needed to stay on them for now for the pain..I do have & always will have real pain & physical scars,longer then my forarm..I like this Dr & always will,he will treat my husband & myself (of course no scripts for me-Narcoticts ) & only non narcotics for my spouse..My husband was told by this Dr. to go to his family Dr & explain the suituation & have him give him his pain meds...I hope you do not think I am uncaring, I am not...I am a very loving person & hope I will always be that way..
Sandi
I have been reading you guys
tell me, why do doctors have pre-signed blank rx's?
I passed a phoney script about a year and a half ago. I really did need the perc's but was unable to see my regular doctor for a couple of days. I had broken a couple ribs and was just totaly out of it, going crazy with pain. I
ended up geting a ligitement perscription for the pain from a doctor the same day the police ended up at my door asking questions. To make a longstory short i spent a week in jail, mad a huge mistake and now i am having open nee surgery any day and have been dealing with the pain for about 3-4 month's with some help from percocet,darvocet and ox. My question is will my miss-hap from the forged perscription witch i have been paying for since, show up in my medical records and is it possable that my primary surgen issometimes hasty about geving something for pain due to my past.If so is that legal, is he/she able do that if a pataint is really having pain and is not tring to abuse "pain killers". Thanks for any help with question MIKEY>
I don't know the answer to your question Mikey...but post it up closer to the top of the board...just tag onto another discussion if the board won't allow you to post...I don't think many people will be looking down here. Mike P.
nation pharmacy
All of you sound like you have this drug thing figured out. And I can relate to all of you. I have been taking pain meds on and off(more on than off) now for almost 20 years, and befor that a pot smoker. For the last 3 years I have been taking percodan. I have cut way back on them now partly because I was fearful my doctor would cut me off and partly because I know what they are doing to me. I do suffer from migrains but very few, much less than I tell my doctor about or my wife. About a year ago I stopped taking them as much. I was taking about 120 pills a month. Now I take 50 about every two months. When I get them I will go through them in about two weeks. Then stay strait till my next doctors visit(in about 7 weeks)I have found that the bigest catch with these drugs are that they give you a way to feel, a way to stimulate your mind, and all you have to do is put a pill in your mouth. It is human nature to want to stimulate you mind somehow, to feel a certain emotion. Without drugs this takes reall work.

Without drugs- To fell a sence of accomplishment. One might take up a hoby, or seek a rewarding career. With drugs you can just take a pill and sit back or do something small around the house. That is just one of many examples.
After you take them for a long time you loose the ability to become self-motivated. The only way you know to feel anything is to just take your pill of chioce. Thats why when you stop them you don't feel anything, you just want to lay around the house and not face up to anything. When quiting drugs it is a whole reshaping of how you conduct your life. You have to learn how to feel happy, concerned, interested, motivated feel love. Any emotion you can posibly think of has to be relearned, all over again or sometimes even learned for the first time. It is a hard battle but I can say this. When you achieve happyness on you own rather than with drugs it is a deeper feeling, a feeling of treu happyness not the fake happyness from some drug.

My precription will come in 3 weeks and I will take it again. I am just now doing things without the drugs and doing well, but I look forward to that next fix. I hope some day I will get sick of this rollercoaster ride and quit but I am just not ready yet.

Success to all of you
Good lord above give us the will power. Amen
This is a legal question regarding prescription fraud.  I have been in recovery for several years now, but during the worst of times, my children were taken from me by Child Protection Services.  THey were all placed in the homes of family members.  I did everything right to get my life and children back and I am happy to say that I have been clean and sober several 24 hours since then.  My question is that the caseworker (who was always giving me an especially hard time even though I was complying with all requirements)was recently arrested for presecription fraud (Vicoden ES).  She had used false names, addresses, social security numbers, etc., to obtain these scripts and was finally caught.  At first I was angry to hear this news, but as a recovery alcoholic compassion filled my heart for her.  My question is could she lose her job for this?  I was hoping she wouldn't because after this experience she may be in a far better place to counsel and work with her clients (providing she gets clean).  Any ideas?
I just want to say that this page is unreal.It has touced my heart to read all the things people are going through because of pain killers being used the wrong way.Just look at the name pain KILLERS because used the wrong way thats what they will do to us and all of our famillies.I went from taking vic's every once in a while to taking 30 to 40 a day then to a rehab to get off only to go 2 or 3 oxy's a day after about 6 months clean.It is a very hard thing to do i'm now in a methadone program and down to 20 milligrams a day detoxing 5 miligrams a day i'm going to try the straight life again.And it is still extremly scarie and i think it always will be.I think once you become an addict you always are one you just have to have control and use every tool you can find to cut off that temptation again ask for help from family and friends everyone is always afraid to tell family and freinds about thier failure as an addict but i've found 99% of the time they try to understand and are there for you just give them the benifit of the doubht.they probably will surprise you with i new somthing was wrong and i'm glad your getting help. well just wanted to put my 2 cents in and good luck to all and god bless!!A friend that has been where all of you are or have been or are going just remember its up to you and when you start other things will just seem to fall into place.(: