Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
percocet and pregnancy

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

percocet and pregnancy

I am 25 weeks pregnant and I am taking percocet 3-4 times a day for a severe back injury....I take them because i need them and never to get high.....My ob said not to discontinue, i was just wondering if anyone took this med while pregnant and Is it 100% my baby will be born addictede?
many woman take these meds for pain while pregnant and it is safer for the baby to not go through detox than it is to stay on the meds and have the docs deal with any minimal discomfort the baby may have after delivery. It is not 100% that the baby will be addicted..
tHAN YOU SO MUCH FOR A REPLY.....mY dR DID TELL ME THAT...HE SAID HES SEEN MANY WOMEN TSAKING THIS WHILE PREG AND HE WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH THE BABY BEING A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE THEN ME TO STOP AND WITHDRW...ANYONE ELSE HERE TAKE THIS MED WHILE PREG IF SO PLEASE WRITE
hi
i took percocet and tylenol 3 all through my pregnancy for back, migraine and a broken tailbone. I can't guarantee your baby won't be addicted, but it is highly unlikely at 3-4/day.
I just gave birth three weeks ago and only took tylenol 2 the last few days before I went into labour 1 week early (nothing to do with any drugs, baby just came at 39 weeks), anyway my son was born totally fine, agpar scores of 9 (excellent) with ZERO  withdrawal symptoms. your OB  is right: keep taking them if you need them. I joined a form on www.babycenter.com under bulletin boards - chronic conditions and talked to over 20 women in the same boat. not ONE of us had problems with labour or the baby. my baby is amazing now...cries very little and is very good natured. I can't even imagine that he had any kind of withdrawals!
don't worry yourself...and if you are, maybe try to cut down to two a day, although i don't thik that's necc.
good luck!
I would highly suggest following their advice and tapering down to the 4 per day you are prescribed. The more you take the higher the chances you baby will suffer withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms..small amounts when needed are said to be ok for the baby.. large amounts I would think would change the situation. 8-10 of the 7.5 is alot of acetiminiphin to be consuming anyway... Its time to taper down to a reasonable amount..
Thanks for responding I am 16 weeks I found out at about 6 weeks my doctors had me on morphine 100mg and hydro 10mg now there giving me 7.5 4 times a day I am so worried I actually take about 8 to 10 a day. They say the baby is doing great and as long as I cut back or quit toward the end the baby wont be addicted I am  still very concerned about the baby being slow I have a 4 year old who is  very advanced and I needed nothing while I was pregnant with her. My doctors ofcourse dont know I actually take 8 to 10.
I sure hope that I will be able to there is to much at risk if I cant. I start out every day trying but the pain is intolerable. They tell me the biggest problem with the Tylenol is my liver its not so much me i am worried about right now.    
Thanks for your support you know sometimes I can take just a few and it makes  me have a horrible headache it seems like that would tell me but I stayed in such pain with my back for so long I cant even stand to have feeling in it. To spite the fact  they had me on such strong meds for so long I would really be sick now. My OB will have my insurance maxed out before this is over there sending me threw alot of stuff I have already done and is in my files they just cant see it at my age when alot of it is genetics      
and the disc nobody can pinpoint which fall, wreck, or job would have caused it!  
If you need support come here and we will do what we can.
If your doctors told you to keep taking them then follow what they tell you.
I thought I was pregnant a couple months ago and was so worried because of the meds I take. But I wasn't. I had tubes tied but even the doctor thought I was he said he had just recently had a patient in that had her tubes tied and 10 yrs later she was pregnant.
Don't really want to start all over again but hey who am I to question the man upstairs.
We deal with the cards we are dealt and try to make the best of them.
You are doing what you can and you want what is best for your child.
keep up the good work.
And visit us often to let us know how you and baby are doing.
Thank you so much and I will stay in touch. I feel like that my only responsibility is to make sure this baby is healthy and strong and I dont feel like Im doing that right. I worry if totally quit the baby will be in to much stress from my pain and withdraws. Niether can be healthy. Everyday I wake up and for god to help me strong and make it thru the day I seem fine until 12 hours have passed and I have not taking anything. I am relly glad I found you guys. Thank you all!  
Thank you for the reply last week....No one else has answered me on this...I went to the babycenter.com website and read some of the threads on other mothers who took meds while preg...The babies were all fine...I need someone to tell me a experience from taking percocets..How many they took for how long through pregnancy and if baby was effected.....

Do u know how many days it takes for baby to show withdrawal symptoms? He is perfectly fine now, good weight and very strong...I dont think i can taper down anymore I am just into much pain here in mt last few weeks.....

Please help me i am so anxious and wooried
hey there.. I didn't see this post til just now.. sorry...

I would think that they baby would show signs within the first 12 hours if it was gonna have withdrawl (withdrawal)..I will look up some info for you and try to find out...I will be on most of the night til about midnight est time.. so post me if you need to dear..
This site states that it can be seen as soon as 24 hours or as late as 10 days after birth depending on the substance. I would think with percasets short half life any symptoms would be seen within 12-24 hours.. It also says that 3-50 percent of babies born have this.. opiates especially cause withdralw in half of the babies that mothers used prenatally...
I work in the health care field and percoet are not safe for your baby. If you must have pain medication, vicodan ismuch safer for your baby the percocet. I saw a 42 wk baby weighing in at 4lbs addicted from percocet. I am sure the mother wasn't honest on how much she took, please discuss other pain medications with your Dr.
Thanks for the website, i have seen that one before...It seems like they were taling about methadone as a major part of withdrawal symp for those babies.......Why would my dr tell me there is a slight chance? They cant take my baby away can they? The drs know what im taking and im am prescribed this from my physician?????????

Im so scared anyone else hsave some experience?
God no they won't take your baby.... Dear.. I know you are worried but you are gonna make yourself crazy... If you keep worrying like this your blood pressure is gonna go up.. and that isn't good... Your doctor is being honest with you.. it isn't a super high chance... and if it happens they treat it.. they keep him/her another few days to make sure the baby is comfortable and that is that... Lots of women get back troubles.. or ever have an injury while pregnant.. they know how to deal with this.. as long as your doctor knows and you do not increase your dose.. I wouldn't worry as much as you are.. There is a member here Marce4 that is a labor and delivery nurse.. she has seen this first hand.. IF you email me.. I will forward your email to her.. she will talk to you from a professional perspective... Trust me.. everything is gonna be just fine.. a 3-50% chance is a broad range of baby's born addicted.. so email me right now.. I will email her.. I know she has been very busy lately and has not been able to post.. Go to my screen name (its blue) click it... my email  is in my profile..
Relax a little woman... you are gonna have a healthy beautiful baby...
thanks for the response......I dont know i am so anxious...Every story i have read not one person had a baby addicted to perc or vicodin...I dont know if people are onl posting good news and not bad or what?

I hear stories of preg women having to take 20-25 vicodins a day, poor things, so who knows...I will keep looking for stories
Congrats on the baby - as a nurse, I can tell you that many pregnant women take narcotics for legitimate pain, and for other reasons.  The most important thing is to be honest with your doctor and the nurses when you go into labor.  We do Finnegan scoring on infants that assesses their withdrawal level and put them on Morphine taper to prevent withdrawal symptoms.  It generally only lasts 3-5 days for the baby.  Your quitting during the pregnancy would be very stressful to both you and the baby.  Hang in there, keep being honest with your doctor.  One suggestion would be to ask for Oxycodone instead of Percocet - only because you'd then not be taking so much Tylenol.  
anyone on here tonight? Please read my post on here and under pregnancy and narcotics, i need information...
Hi  Leolion1
I wrote you a few days ago about just having a baby after being on percocets throughout my whole pregnancy. I was also very worried...if you would like, you can contact me via email and you can ask me specific questions; I know a lot because I researched like crazy and two of my good friends are  doctors who gave me the straight info about what I was taking and risk to baby (off the record as they weren't worried about liability!).
if you need to talk to someone, even if it's just for support, you can reach me at: ***@****.
hope to hear from you and I hope I can offer some support and answers!
liz
I am 28 weeks pregnant and take pain killers everyday....I want to quit but I have had people tell me that it is dangerous for the baby to detox.  I don't know what to do...I don't want my baby to withdraw and I don't want to lose my baby because I heard that they drug test babies now.  Is there anybody who can help me?? Let me know if there is anything I can do.  Should I change doctors and get on methadone?  Should I tell my doctor now that I have been taking pain killers? If I tell him could he call child protective services on me?  Can I just detox??  Please someone help me! :(  Kristin  
My email is kristin_elyse***@**** if you'd rather email me.  Thanks
Do NOT under any circumstance go on methodone..... Tell your OB.. women take pain pills while pregnant all the time. they can deal with it if they are aware of the situation.. YOu will not lost your baby.. It is dangerous for the baby if you detox.. more dangerous than if the baby has withdrawls when its born.. they know how to deal with it.. Many women have posted here and none of their babies were born addicted.. Your baby will definately be born addicted if you go on methodone.. The chances will raise if you go that route.. Please do not go there..
someone please help i am on lortabs my doc don't give them to me i buy them off the street i am 22 weeks pregnant i was going to check myself in to detox but i am scared it will make me lose my baby i am scared to tell my doc i don't want dss involved but want they do a drug test on my baby checking for lortabs
I would get yourself treatment .They are going to know you are pregant but if you are getting help and off the drugs and remain drug free threw out your pregancy and the baby has no drug in it system then dss will not take your child .They want to keep mother and baby together exspecially if the MOM is doing everthing she can to get and stay clean so plz dont worry about what might happen. Just worry about getting clean the rest will work itself out
Im 16 weeks pregnant, i just found out i was pregnant. I have been taking percocets for last month and ½,since finding out, i have quit. Will my baby be born addicted?
I been taking 7-10 perceot 10mlg aday. will my baby be born addicted im 26 weeks?
I been taking pain killers off and on for 3 years only time I find the will to stop is when I get pregnant I have 2 healthy boys both pregnancy I stop the minute I found out my children safety and health more important to me then my pain .. My children never suffer withdrawels at all so think if u do it while your pregant they will suffer if u don't they won't...think about the human the inasant child that needs u to survey and u can stop wing yourself off so your baby doesn't suffer you cando it I did for 9 months with both kids
God bless u can do it
I'm sorry but taking any medication is dangerous while your pregnant and there is not enough studies being done to conclude the lasting effects.  Just remember you have a developing baby so anything you take will effect its development.  I say suck it up and live with your pain so your child has a chance at a normal life.
I am 6 weeks along and have been taking percocet for my back for 3 years. L4-l5 lumbar fusion, 3 surgeries and massive nerve pain. I've tried to not take it but given that I was in a car accident on Monday I'm in even more pain than normal. I walk around with tears in my eyes. Is it better to quit or for me to continue taking about 3/day and then taper off as I get closer to my due date?
It would be more dangerous for someone to quit narcotics while pregnant than keep taking them. I will be on Percocet while pregnant, via my pelvic pain specialist. He is very well known and feels very comfortable with a women taking pain pills and being monitored. Oxycodone itself without the tylenol is pregnancy category B. SO completely safe. Dealing with chronic pain is no joke and can cause preterm labor and pre-e, so having her "deal" with her pain is a dangerous suggestion. I am also an RN.
was the hydrocodone in the baby's system when he was born? How long does the hydrocodone stay in the baby's system? When should I stop taking them? I'm 27 weeks pregnant now!
Will the hydrocodone be in my baby's system when he is born? How long does the hydrocodone stay in the baby's system? When should I stop taking them? I'm 28 weeks pregnant now! Please help!!
truthfully... if you can't stop for your childs health.. than there is bigger problems than you thought u had.. i immediately cut ask that bull out of my life when i found out i was pregnant .. i mean i have 3 bulging discs in my neck c 4 5 and 7.. if u knew me I'm a walking cripple because i have been in 2 serious accidents and trust me I'm gonna talk to my ob about pain throughout this I'm only 6 Weeks and had a miscarriage last year around Thanksgiving and I'm way to scared to go through that again.. worst pain i ever had..i have every kind of symptom... fatigue, back of my knees are burning yay vericose veins..cramps like period, bloating like i already look mad pregnant.. idk i might be bed ridden early I'm a walking disaster..
Hi I just found out that I am 6-8 weeks pregnant and am worried about my drug use before I found out. I smoked pot regularly and took a 10mg percocet for a migraine headache. I am worried about the affects of the percocet since they say the first trimester is the most crutial. Someone help. :(
People are prescribed that in pregnancy, now that you know your pregnant just don't take anything your doctor doesn't prescribe. Its the same thing they tell you if you ask about alcohol use while pregnant, they will just tell you to stop now. There is literally nothing you can do to change what you've already done but percocet doesn't cause birth defects. Good luck with the pregnancy!
I was given percocet while pregnant with both children. I have migraines tht would leave me bed ridden for days! I took 4 a day for 6 no thts with my daughter and the whole pregnancy with my son. Don't go against what ur Dr says. They kno what theiR doing and they will make sure u and ur baby are OK when u deliver. Both of my kids were fine with no WD! Good luck. Also this is a very very old post u should post ur own bc most ppl don't read the really old posts. Congratulations on ur little one BTW!!
Hi, my name is jessica and i was just wondering if you could give me a straight up answer. I have 5 herniated discs in my neck and spinal stenosis. I was taking about 5 norcos a day and still in agony and then my ob put me on percoset 7.5 3x day. I was just wondering, if i cant come off these by delivery time, will my baby have any withdrawals. I would much rather suffer mself if that was the case, but if it was un-likely, i would much rather not live in pain. You can e-mail me at ***@****.. Thanks so much for your help!