Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
switching from Methadone to Subutex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

switching from Methadone to Subutex

I am currently on 30mg of methadone and have been for a little while now. I tried to make a switch from Methadone to Suboxone but started the detox too early and went through rapid withdrawals and went back on the methadone. I heard that if you make the switch to Subutex instead, you will not have the withdrawal like you do the Suboxone, because it does not have the opiate blocker in it. Has anyone ever experienced the switch from Methadone to Subutex, and if so, how was it?
I switched from 30mgs of methadone to suboxone, but you have to wait 48-72hrs before your first dose or you can be thrown into precipitated withdrawals. When you take suboxone sublingually virtually none of the naloxone is absorbed, its there so people dont shoot them up. The other med buprenorphine is what actually blocks opiates just because it binds to the opiate receptors and basicly shields them from other opiates having an effect. Im not exactly sure if you have to wait the same amount of time when starting subutex compared to suboxone, Ive heard from some people that it can be taken sooner but Im not sure. Regardless if you wait the proper amount of time before dosing, the suboxone will have the same effect, but you need to be an atleast a moderate withdrawal before doing so. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I was exactly where you are after tapering down from 140-30mgs/methadone, waited about 50hrs before my first dose of sub. I wish you the best of luck with your sub treatment, let us know how it goes, take care.
Thanks for your response, it was really helpful. I will just wait 48 - 72 hours and just do the suboxone than.
Ok how does this work
Hi, welcome here :)

you have posted on an old thread so your post would probably get overlooked by the other members... Click the green sign "post a question" and post your questions to get the help and support from the members.
Ok I have a few important ?s... Ok so I was on methadone for about 10 n a half mos. Starting jan 1st I detoxed 5mg per week til I got to 15 then I checked myself into detox... There I was given 8mg of suboxen 1st day then again 2nd day but it was broken up and than 6 mg third day broken up (2mg morn 2mgafternoon  2mg night) then I was discharged fourth day early morn. When I was in detox the sub worked its miracle on me but jus 3 days seemed 2 good 2 b tru!! Sure enough by day 5 6 7 I was experiencing w/d... So my ?s are 1 does substituting sub for meth jus prolong meth (opiates) w/d or like jus put it on hold til the sub wears off ... 2 did I need 2 b on sub longer tto get through comfortably... N if so how much longer ... And is it possible for the meth 2 come out of ur body while u put suboxone in ( essentially jus another form of opiate) 3 how much longer will these w/d symptoms last if I don't continue taking suboxone... My concern is am I jus substituting 1 opiate for another and is there a way for me in my situation to get through this comfortably without having to stay on a substance for too long... Please help I have an infant at home to care for my goal is to be substance free but not to suffer things like peeing out my butt (I no yuck)and stay clean!!
could you copy and paste this post with your questions on a new thread ? click on the green sign above "POST A QUESTION",  i would not want that your questions get no answers