Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
what is suboxone like?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

what is suboxone like?

if i take suboxone will it make me too sleepy to work? also does anyone know how safe it is and is it addicting? i dont have any insurance and a friend of mine says she has some that i can have so i cant ask a dr about these concerns.  also any suggestions for getting some sleep when youre at the 24 hour mark with no vics in sysytem.   thanks so much for helping me
Tags: Addiction
Suboxine worked for me great. It didn't make you sleepy, but I was able to sleep at night for the most part. I didn't go to a clinic, I got it on the street, so I dont know the technicalities of that. It doesn't give you a buzz, so you won't abuse it. It just makes you feel somewhat "normal". But like anything else, once you stop that you will still feel a little bad. I'm on day 4 off of Sub and while I don't feel right and have my bad moments, it's ALOT better than before I started using it. I think you will find it helps.
Hey...there is a wonderful poster on this board whose name is TXrebecca and she is the one to ask about suboxone! She's also one of the sweetest and caring people I have ever met. Any questions about sub....she's the one to talk to! :)
(Oh, yeah....I forgot---Fladdict is also another sweetheart on the board that knows alot about sub, she just started it herself)
Give these two great ladies a little while...and I bet they give you some much needed answers!

Take care,
Jen

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!! :)
Suboxone only made me sleepy the first day for a few hours.  For the most part it gives me a bit of energy.  Yes it is addicting. However due to the lack of euphoria and ceiling affect at higher doses it is hard to abuse. It blocks other opiates as well. It has to be tapered off to be effective. Without tapering off slowly you will still have withdrawl (withdrawal).  Go to suboxone.com   for all the details.
I think sub si a good option for you. If I was to do it all again I would have done it that way mainl because I don't think I would have had the will power to taper.(Those buggers have just a little bit of control,lol)  Thoose who taper rule.  I tend to need insteant results so c/t was the way for me at the time.  I posted to ou below.
Suboxone was the ticket for me cause I could not taper to save my life.  You can work, sleep, feel normal, all of that.  The key is not getting high, although you can get a small high from it.  It is very very powerful and you take just enough to get by gauging it with a slight discomfortm (very slight is OK).  The minute you're feeling like Rin tinn tinn, You're probably taking to much.  It amazed me how such a small amount could make me feel OK enough to go about my life.  2mgs would probably work for most.  The pills I got were 8 and was about the size of a tylenol.  Cut that into one quarter and let it disolve under your tounge.. That's the way the docs recommend taking it.  You do still have to come off of that too so be wary and careful about it.
actually no... I payed cash... thanks..
I started Suboxone tx coming off a 4 year Percocet habit.  I started at 12 mg for 2 weeks, 8 mg for a week, 4 mg for a week, 2 mg for a week, 1 mg for a week and today just took my last one.  I have achy legs, but so far that is the only discomfort I feel.  They say the half life of Suboxone is about 36 hours, so I'm guessing Sunday will probably be my worst day.  My husband is in the same boat as me and took his last Suboxone on Wed.  So it's been over 60 hours for him and he says other than a normal headache and just some mild discomfort, he feels fine.  Says its NOTHING like running out of Percocet and going CT, which has happened to us many times.  I think the longer you are on Suboxone, the harder it is to come off.  Take the lowest dose you possibly can, taper off quickly and I can honestly say, it was the best thing my husband and I ever did.  I had to travel extensively my first week on the Suboxone therapy and truly felt fine.
Remember the plan?  Don't acknowledge.  It only encourages those that seem to want to make trouble.
Love,
Yoda
Ah Oh, the psycho is back heehee
the state wont pay for the suboxone neither will any insurance so maybe you should do some research before talking about things you dont know anything about....
My boyfriend is taking suboxin, he still has a problem with coc.........
This post is old.. it will more than likely get overlooked. If you have a question or need support, please post a new question on the main forum or a newer post from today. Also there are a section of Health pages with info on Suboxone.
  Sounds like you have a problem with your short penis.
MY HUSBAND IS TAKING SUBOXONE FOR AN ADDICTION TO OPIATES....HOW LONG SHOULD HE BE ON THIS MEDICATION...I ALSO HAVE NOTICED HE IS TAKING TOO MANY AND IS RUNNING OUT BEFORE IT CAN BE REFILLED...SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT HIM BEING ADDICTED TO THIS DRUG???  WHAT ABOUT WITHDRAWLS???
Hi All,
I am just new here seeking support for medical conditions.  I suffer from severe endometriosis, so much so I had a hysterectomy last year to try to alleviate some of my daily pain.  Surgery was awesome and I feel great but still have the endo, as it is not a curable condition, so I often have disabling pain that keeps me out of work and play.  

I began pain management for my endometriosis about three years ago.  I wanted to stay conservative but my pain dictated otherwise.  Without details, I was so bad that I could not stand upright most days and hence was put on very strong pain medication to help me with the discomfort (10mg percocet, four times a day).  

I also suffer from migraines, due to family history I cannot take the more popular meds such as Immitrex.  I have taken a med call fiorinal with codeine for nearly 20 years, as needed for migraine not at all to confused with taking it every day.  

The point is that I have been actively wanting to get away from my pain management for the endometriosis.  The hysterectomy really did a lot to ease pain.  I am in agreement with my doctor that given the aggressive nature of my form of endometriosis, pain meds will always be a part of life.  I cut way down from 10mg percocet every four hours to 2 vicodin ES, four times a day (seems like a lot but it was an improvement to me), but often much more if needed if I am honest here as my uterus was in a very unique position which caused some problems with my lumbar spine which will not be healing anytime soon.  

To combat the endometriosis, I eat organically which is thought to reduce inflammation in the body...it helps.

I was so tired of being medicated on a daily basis.  Exhausted from worrying if I would have enough medicine to get through the month...and the meds zapped all of my energy and only aided in a growing depressio I am fighting.  I wanted to stop taking the vicodin ES, with my doc's help, I have gone from 90 per month down to 45.  Last visit I said I wanted to stop.  We tried just using some valium but that was no help at all.  Finally when I saw my pain mgmt doc last we discussed SUBOXONE and how it works etc.  Even after all of the discussions and research and reading I was skeptical.

After my assessment in the office a week later I had my first dose of Suboxone administered, 8mg, about 33 hours after my last dose of the vicodin ES.  

I want to say this here and now, WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!  As it turned out 8mg was ideal for me as a dosage.  I felt absolutely not a single sensation of withdrawal.  Not only that, the thought of taking pain pills was just such a non-issue.  I had not told anyone that I started this treatment.  When my best friend saw me holding my back saying it was sore she offered me a norco/lortab.  I flat turned her down, something I would never have done before.

I was leary about just taking it once per day but I found quickly that when the next day came, I still felt good and really didn't care if I took it but yes, I did keep on with the treatment.  

Point of my story, the Suboxone is great.  As long as you take it AS DIRECTED, you will do  fine.  In fact I feel so much of my energy returning and I am in so much better a mood, people are totally noticing.  

For the purposes of treating a horribly painful disease I became physically dependent on narcotic pain relievers.  Prior to this, I would take a pain pill for the occasional migraine and think nothing of it because migraines are few and far between. But when I developed the endometriosis and suddenly needed pain meds to function, to have an intimate life then my body became dependent and I was fortunate enough to be in pain management where the docs are prepared for these eventualities.  

If Suboxone is offered to you as treatment I say go and get started.  The hardest part is really that it makes me quite sleepy so I have changed my time to take it as right before bed.

I am living proof, the Suboxone will help you but do be careful to wait until the doc says you should start your first dose.  A friend of mind's husband lied and told his doc that he had not had any oxycontin in 24 hours when he took one at about midnight before going to bed.  His 8am appointment came and he was dosed too early, as a result his first few days were a nightmare of epic proportions.

Sorry so long winded, just thought my story could be of use...
I have been abusing vics for years and moved on to smoking opium 3 years ago. coming to the realization that I cannot continue down this road has been very difficult.  seeing that there are other going through the same things as I am, gives me great comfort and strength that there is hope.

I appreciate those who volunteer information and provide direction to those who need it.
Hello i've been taking subs for about a year now...and gained alot of weight...i'm so ready to come off..tried coming off before...think depression was the biggest hurdle for me...anyway good luck
My insurance cover it completely. Yes, MY PRIVATE INSURANCE, JERKO!! We didn't "get ourselves into anything". Pain meds can steal your will without a fight,....so do us a favor and get a life!!
My Suboxene has made my 8 th day clean a god send.  I have not had any energy, and definitly no drive.  I was taking Clonadine and Bentil which wasn't doing much.  Today Was My Day.  On a year and half waiting list,  I finally got my Suboxene today.  The past 8 days have absolutley been hell but it's not a bad th9ing to ask your doctor.  You are trying to get help.  Thats not a bad thing.  I have alot of pride too, but there comes a time when you gotta just set it aside.  Only start it if you plan on never taking a ain pill again.  You could be taking a spot from someone who really needs it if your state has the same rules as mine.
Why would anyone down anyone for getting help reguardless what they use.  I have 2 small kids and the world don't stop turning because I can't make it through the day.  Suboxene has been a life saver for me and one day I will be off all of it but one day at a time right now.  8 days proud  and tough.  I WILL make it!
Suboxone is not the miracle drug that many doctors make it out to be. Suboxone is very addictive, and is amound the top abused drugs of the world. I was an opiate addict and went through an outpatient rehab center, where I was origionally prescribed Subutex (8mg of buphenorphine) then Suboxon which is buphenrophine and naltrexon. Although Suboxone does contain naltrexon which is an "opiate antagonist" or whatever doctors call it, aka it covers your opiate sensors so you don't get the "high" that causes many to be addicted to opiates; it also contains opiates??? Make sense? No it doesn't. In fact you can easily remove the naltrexon by simply wiping it off, and by injecting Suboxone you will get even more of a "high" than regular opiates. Although, I personally have never injected anything, I know many addicts who became addicted to Suboxone because it is a higher potency than Oxy Contin, Dilauted, and Roxicette. I have now been on Suboxone for 4 months. I cannot go more than a few hours, without begining to withdraw. And Suboxone withdrawl (withdrawal) is much much much worse than a regular opiate withdraw. And a Suboxone withdrawl (withdrawal) last anywhere from 2-6 months, where as pain killer and heroin withdrawl (withdrawal) last for 3-5 days typically. If I would have known that the doctors where exchanging one opiate for another, stronger opiate, I definitely would have reconsidered my treatment options. SUBOXONE IS VERY ADDICTIVE AND DANGEROUS IF ABUSED, I STRONGLY RECCOMEND CONSIDERING ALL OF YOUR OPTIONS BEFORE SUGESTING SUBOXONE FOR YOURSELF OR A FRIEND. Also many don't understande that Suboxone treatment for addicts is usually the shortest of 6 months, and most doctors want you to stay on it for 2 years. Do you really think it's going to be easy to quit an Opiate use after 2 years? No it's not. I DO NOT RECCOMEND SUBOXONE FOR ANYONE, UNLESS YOU HAVE EXHAUSTED EVERY OTHER OPTION AND HAVE A LIFE THREATENING ADDICTION THAT CANNOT BE STOPPED ANY OTHER WAY. And even then take it for the minimum amount of timw possible in an in-patient rehab, and get weened off before you leave the treatment center, because taking yourself off of Suboxone is nearly impossible.
If you take suboxone responsibly for detox, or maintenance through a tpaer the W/D pale in comparision to full blown dope sickness. I have been taking 1.5-4mg og suboxone a day for over a year, and I stopped taking it for three days, and while pretty ******* ******, was NOTHING COMPARED TO HEROIN W/D, the only bad part is the longer you use the longer the PAWS (post acute w/d symptoms) or effects after youve detox seem to linger longer or i have heard the seem to last longer than H, but less than methadone,

Yet I have never gone long enough to see if I would get better naturally, after a week off dope I'd relapse, I could never get more than 2 weeks. Decided to get on subs starting at around a half pill, realized this was far too  much and a quarter suited me fine. I take this along with a small dose of Valium  (20mg) for Gen. Anxiety Disorder and I have nnot relapsed or shot anything in 6 months

Before that the longest I went was 2 weeks, and I used Heroin daily for 4 years, and took my first OC at age 13!!! I am 14 now, **** dope.

I plan on weaning down to less than .5 and jumping off, Upward titration of my Valium may be in order as well as some Clonidine and ALOT of weed, but I feel afer 2 weeks I will feel even better than I do NOW> WHICH IS ALOT BETTER THAN WHEN I WAS USING
I meant i am 24 now lol,
Sorry for the grammar, iphone'd
If you click on suboxone/subutex FAQ's at the bottom of the community page, it has a reasonable taper. Personally, I would only take sub for 5-10 days for hydro addiction, and at as low of a dose as possible to induce. Remember that sub is very strong. 1mg is = to approx. 40mg morphine.  ei. 1-8mg sub is equal to 320mg morphine, possibly a higher dose than you are on with hydros. I am 7 days off sub for a 4 yr 200mg methadone a day habit. I took it for 16 days to get through the worst of the detox and was sick for a total of 4 days, which was never even close to methadone detox. Point is educate yourself, make a plan, and be very careful. You don't want to trade up for a more addictive drug. Good Luck, and again, be careful.
This discussion is now closed.  If  you would like to ask a question or start a new topic, please do so by clicking the "Post a Question" button.  Thanks!

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE