Addiction Expert Forum
Methadone

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Methadone

I've been on methadone since 2007. I want soooooo bad to get off but it's the hardest ever & so depressing. Please please is there a quick & easier way without the HURT?

We actually treat the highest levels of Methadone in the country with the Waismann Method in our hospital in So. California. It is the most humane and quickest way I know to get through methadone withdrawal. With that said, there is some discomfort because your system needs to transition and find its base line.  Methadone dependency causes numerous changes in brain chemistry and organ functions, so after any detoxification  it is paramount that patients are monitored properly for at least a few days in order to regulate basic functions and prevent medical complications and immediate relapse.
The only other form I see patients getting off Methadone is by titrating very slowly. Sometimes 1 to 2 milligrams every week or two. How fast it should be done, is based on each patient unique situation. With this option, you might find it could take quite a bit of time , it is not as painful as most other detox options out there.
I truly hope this helps you find a direction to the appropriate treatment. All the best.
What is the Waisman method?