Addiction Expert Forum
Quitting suboxone cold turkey whle preg7nant.

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

I am 7 months pregnant, and am ready and would like to quit the suboxone cold turkey.  Will it affect the baby?  Good or bad Idea?  I am on 16mg a day most days 8.  Thanks.
Actually is not a good idea at all. Right now you should keep your pregnancy as stable as possible , without any unnecessary stress to your system .
Any major stress specially a withdrawal could jeopardize the safety of your baby. Please discuss with your doctor a plan, after your delivery. There are different forms to come off Suboxone.
You have a couple more months to go. Stay safe and be well.
I don't think it's a good idea to quit suboxone during your pregnancy, especially if you are seven months pregnant. I've done some reading on the subject, and are you under a doctors care? Suboxone is extremely dangerous during a pregnancy, and there is a possibility that the baby may need to be detoxed from it after birth. It is relatively uncommon and unheard of to continue a pregnant mother on Suboxone once she discovers the pregnancy... they're usually switched to Methadone. If you quit Suboxone cold turkey right now, you run the risk of not only harming yourself (withdrawals) but hurting your child as well, as there is a great chance that the baby is dependent on Suboxone. Please, don't do anything drastic until you deliver.

-J. Mello, RN
I just wanted to say if your on suboxone and become pregnant the doctor will not take you off if it until after the pregnancy. They also won't switch you from suboxone to methadone, since you can not over lap them. I don't understand why your doctor didn't switch you to Subutex which is buprenorphine, it doesn't have the naloxone in it. Much safer while pregnant, subutex also is safe to be on while breast feeding! Anyways, good luck, best of wishes. I'm pregnant with my second child (on subutex both times throughout the pregnancies) after this pregnancy I'll be talking to my doctor to start weaning me down and off.