Addiction Expert Forum
Smoking and prenatal care

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Smoking and prenatal care

I'm 25 yrs old and I'm about 6 weeks pregnant with my first child,and I'm a smoker any good advice for me to try to quit smoking? And also I can't be seen by a doc until I'm 9 weeks, should I start taking the pill now? If so how often and where can I get them?
I understand that smoking is extremely addictive, but there are certain things we do for our kid that are very hard, and one of them is being pregnant, taking care of our bodies while pregnant and nursing (and I am not even talking about giving birth!). That is only the start of a difficult life of a parent. So, let me give you the facts that you probably already know, but they are important to repeat.
Smoking while pregnant will:
Lower the amount of oxygen and nutrient available your growing baby.
Increase your baby's heart rate.
Increase the chances of miscarriage and stillbirth.
Increase the risk that your baby is born prematurely and/or born with low birth weight.
Increase your baby's risk of developing respiratory (lung) problems.
Second hand smoke has been shown to be just as harmful.
All of this information should be enough reason for you to quit for the sake of the baby and I know plenty of pregnant women who did it "col turkey", which studies show works better then all pharmaceutical interventions.
I am not sure what pill you are talking about, but I assume that it is Chantix, whis is not safe during pregnancy.  am glad that you are willing to stop smoking but you also want to eat right, exercise and stay away from all unneeded drugs and alcohol while you are pregnant and nursing or mothering young children. Please take good care of yourself and that way you can be sure you are taking the best care of your child.
Hi I'm sorry I was talking about the prenatal pills