Addiction Expert Forum
Too early for my sub induction?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Too early for my sub induction?

I took my last dose of methadone 20 mg this past Sunday Nov.27. My induction to suboxone is Fri. Dec.2 - tomorrow.
The dr, gave me clonodine & an antihistimine for sleep. I have been on dones for 9 years at 30 mg. I took 20 mg last 2 weeks on them. I don't feel anything but pins & needles in my neck. I am very sleepy from meds dr. gave me. Will I be ready for tomorrow or will I have to wait? I thought I'd be much sicker than this. I'm scared of precipitated wds plus I've already taken this week off work. I hate to take more time off!
I think it is admirable that you want to get off of opiates. I do want to caution you that Suboxone in also an opiate.  Suboxone is the brand name for a medication consisting of buprenorphine and naloxone. Buprenorphine is a thebaine derivative with powerful analgesia approximately 20-40x more potent than morphine. Buprenorphine is a partial agonist and antagonist of the opioid receptors in the central nervous system which means  when the its molecule binds to a receptor, it will transduce only a partial response in contrast to a full agonist such as morphine. Buprenorphine also has very high binding to the opioid receptors such that the opioid receptor antagonists (e.g. naloxone) only partially reverse its effects. This means that an overdose of buprenorphine cannot be easily reversed. Naloxone is opioid receptor blocker. They are combined together to prevent inter-venous abuse of this medication. In the US this Suboxone has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of opiate drug addiction. However many individuals who start using it to treat their addiction, become addicted to Suboxone itself.
Having said that it is still a viable option and does work for some people as a tapering tool off of opiates.  But you are saying that you are already feeling relatively well off of methadone, so why would you want to go back on an opiate again, may be you can just continue and stick it out and be drug free? It will take another few weeks, you may think about getting on Vivitrol injectible naltrexone therapy to keep yourself completely crave free. Vivitrol can be completely covered by your insurance in some cases. Please click on my name and read some of my blogs especially the one about options for detox.  You can also reach it by clicking on my name or by going on www.MDSDrugDetox.com
It's too late! Maam, I'm already set up for suboxone - TODAY and you never did answer my initial QUESTION! arrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh
My transition to suboxone was smooth and easy! I highly recommend it!
I am glad you did well. Just keep what I told you in mind. You are still an opioid addict. Are you going to taper the Suboxone or are you planning to stay on it as maintenance?