Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Adrnal Cyst Vs. Ovarian Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Adrnal Cyst Vs. Ovarian Cyst

My daughter at the age of 13 was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. (she is now 17) I took her to the dr. on friday as she was having pain on the right side of her abdomen with back pain. The dr. referred her to the ER to rule out adpendicitis. After a CT scan, it revealed she has a 1.8 cm cyst on the right side and 2.0 cm cyst on th eleft side. It states it is Adrenal Cysts, is that the same as Ovarian? They prescibed her Motrin 600mg and is in extreme pain, what is the proper treatment especially when it is causing so much pain, thinking of taking her back to the ER, can they help?
The answer to your question is no Ovarian cysts are differerent from Adrenal cysts.

The Adrenal glands sit on top of the kidneys. They are responsible for releasing hormones in conjunction with stress. Though connected to the kidneys, they play no role in the functioning of the kidneys. Adrenal Glands are part of the endocrine system.
I don't know if your Dr recommended anything yet but I would definitely take your daughter to a pediatric endocinologist. She needs blood work to determine if these adrenal cysts are affecting any part of the adrenal gland process. The radiologist should have been able to tell what type of cysts it was based on apperence, if not then an MRI may be warranted as they are more precise.
Wish you all the best
Kevin
Your daughter sounds like she is in pain - but does she have any other symptoms?

Is she under or overweight? Is her blood pressure high or low? Has she gone into puberty early? Is her skin dark?

While the adrenals are responsible for cortisol and too much and too little can be life threatening (I have no adrenals, and had Cushing's which is too much cortisol before) there are also other hormones too like renin and aldosterone which govern sodium and potassium, and DHEA which can give off a hormone that can turn into testosterone or estrogen. So those cysts can be putting pressure on the adrenals and can be effecting a lot of things. If her sodium and potassium are effected, that can also be life threatening - in other words, she really needs to see an expert soon. She really needs testing to tell what is going on.

The motrin is pretty useless IMHO - see a neuro-endo that will take children. I will give you some guidance via pm.