Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Causes of high saliva cortisol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Causes of high saliva cortisol

What are the causes of high saliva cortisol ( blood tests are normal)?? And what is the treatment?
Thank you!!!
It could be that they are taken at different times.
Saliva is free cortisol and blood is serum cortisol - they are both point in time tests. Cortisol goes up and down so it is hard to catch right at the moment.

High cortisol aka Cushing's syndrome has to be treated by finding the source of the cortisol and eliminating it. So if you are on steroids, reducing or taking them no more. If you have a tumor, finding out where the tumor is and removing it. It takes a lot of testing if you have the cyclical form and most doctors have not a clue about any form.
The cortisol by blood was a STIM test, another time just a regular lab draw.
I do not have the high cortisol all the time by saliva, just AM and PM, rest of the day is normal.
I had adrenal CT with contrast and it was negative. Also had MRI of brain, did not see anything abnormal there either.
My naturopath said it could be infection in body, heavy metal poisioning or ??, unsure.
I am stumped... how , what and why. I do have thyroid issues too.
My adrenals looked normal before AND after removal but they were abnormal... and large - they are easily overlooked. MRIs can be normal for many reasons - radiologist missed it, lesion fell between the 3mm slices, scan was not dynamic, etc. etc. Been there, done that...

Did you have a fever when you did the testing? High cortisol often comes with thyroid issues - usually hypothyroid as high cortisol suppresses thyroid.

Gotta find the source - remove it.
No, I do not remember  having a fever. It has been some time since I had the tests done.
And what about my cortisol only being high at times with saliva? And my blood always normal.
Yes, I am hypothyroid, it runs in my family as well as hashimotos ( but my antibodies are normal range).
I am just at a loss what to do next.... I have done SO many tests and nothing....
the drs just say I have no other symptoms of cushings.. which is true.. I do NOT have the hump, the body shape, ect... nothing .
Just crazy adrenaline rushes which make you feel TERRIBLE!!
Thanks.
They are point in time tests - it happens. I know a lot of people with high cortisol - some test well with saliva - I did well, but my blood tests also were normal. I did horrid at 24 hour urine tests (but that was because I was low during the day, high at night - average - NORMAL... agh), but super duper at 10 hour urine tests... so you just have to test a bit - and most docs want a couple of different *forms* of high before they will diagnose you...

I have the Hashimoto's (which also runs in my family) and the hypo too...

I have met a size 2 girl with Cushing's - only her face was slightly heavy. I have met others that did not gain weight at all - just had the high cholesterol etc. Weight gain is a symptom but NOT every symptom happens to everyone. I did not gain for 6 years (of the dang 12 it took to get diagnosed) and then when I did - it was fast and furious...

You probably have symptoms - but they are very subtle - low libido, depression, no /impaired sleeping, acne, fatigue, poor healing, hair changes, etc. All symptoms of something else but they oddly will not respond to meds... I thought for years it was my thyroid, PCOS, etc but no...

Your doc should look at the tests - and look for the source - find an expert.
ChitChatNine is having fun! Comment
ridey777 added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Jun 26
ridey777 added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
Jun 26