Adrenal Insufficiency Community
central hypothyroidism cause of secondary AI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

I saw my Gi yesterday, who also happens to be a internist.  I was complaing about the doctors not realizing how inaccurate the TSH test is--especially for me, because my Free T4 and TSH will be low together--I also said that I was low in testosterone and DHEA etc.---and he said that's because you have central hypothyroidism.. I asked him why he knew that and other doctors didn't--he said it was because he was an internist.

I guess I would have thought that ANY doctor who tested thyroids, which is most doctors, would realize that if your TSH and Free T4 are both low (or high) together that it is an abnormal test result.  It just seems like so many doctors are only concerned with what the TSH levels are.  This is really frustrating, because as long as your levels fall within the lab normal ranges--no matter where they fall in the normal range--they figure you are ok.

I guess I am concerned right now because it looks like I am going to have to find a new doctor---my GI wants me to go to an endocrinologist---and I keep hearing that they are the worst to see and be open minded and the worst at keeping up with new information.

I live in southern idaho---about 3 hours from salt lake city utah and about the same from boise idaho----anyone know a good doctor I might be able to see in those areas?
It can take a while - but not all endos are horrid... just a lot of them... :)
I don't know docs there... Hope someone can chime in.
glad to know they're not all bad.  i actually thought the first one I saw seemed to know her stuff a little better--she just couldn't keep track of anything and would forget she was going to raise my meds--even though it was listed in my records---once----then never again---and it was never called in.  Phone calls didn't get returned,  The office was so unorganized.

I might consider going back to her if i thought the office was better managed and she was more on top of things---she came from back east, originally.  She has moved to a town about 3 hours away---she used to be only 1 hour away----but I am going to have to travel regardless of who I see.
It always seems that if I like the doc, his/her staff seem to be in another world. So with you on that one.

I had to get some forms filled out that they just left them in the file and filed them instead of sending them in - grrrr... so they just do, don't think. And getting through is a nightmare!
getting through, yeah, I'm with you there----I had a hard time getting them to return phone calls returned--and if they call back, it is the nurse--so it has to go through her to the doc then back through the nurse to you-----you never know what has been lost in translation.

Maybe we should fax the doctors directly and follow through on everything they are supposed to do.
The faxes get lost... :)
I once had a doctor that was so easy to contact---he was my kids pediatric GI---doesn't help me with this--but it was nice to have someone who was so accessible when we were going through some really rough stuff with several of our children.