Alcoholism Community
ANTABUSE ALLERGY?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

ANTABUSE ALLERGY?

My boyfriend has been taking Antabuse for almost five weeks now, at first a
whole tablet a day, then down to half because he was having severe reactions to deodorant, etc.
With the half dose, he HAD to test the boundaries, and last week had a single beer on three seperate occasions (different days), and that was basically fine, no reactions.
On the weekend he had a little speed, nothing else, all fine.
Monday he got severe diahorrea. Tuesday he was fine all day, came home, ate dinner, and a while later suddenly had a SEVERE antabuse reaction. He had not had any alcohol, the only thing I can think of was the vinegar in the salad dressing? But the reaction was so severe, it was quite shocking.The next day he was still sick, now throwing up, feeling dizzy, etc - with no alcohol involved at all.
Could he be allergic to the Antabuse just per se? How dangerous is this? Should he discontinue the meds totally? I'm worried that he'll sustain some
permanent liver damage or something, that's really not worth it!!

Please help - our doctor is a bit clueless and very dismissive of the dangers of this medication, he's not much of a help, really...

R
  • Antabuse (1 replies):
    My husband is an alcoholic and everyday I have been givi...[more]
  • antabuse and alcohol (12 replies):
    hi.. my father is a drinker for about 20 years, he is ag...[more]
  • antabuse (7 replies):
    I was into a chat room for those of us taking antabuse a...[more]
  • antabuse question (5 replies):
    My dad has been heavily drinking for at least 20 years....[more]
  • antabuse (3 replies):
    i recently heard about something called antabuse that wi...[more]
Antabuse is a medication that is designed to make a person sick when Alcohol is intraduced to the body. He should not be taking a half dose. The full dose is what is required. He should not be having a beer ever while taking this medication. I get the feeling he is looking for an excuse to not have to take the meds. He is in no Danger. Just stop drinking! How certain are you that on the day he had this big reaction that he hadnt been drinking? There's no fooling this pill. You drink, you get sick!
Randy
Why is he on  if he is drinking and using Antabuse, if this is the case then he dose not want to stop, doing idiotic things like drinking and using while on  Antabuse or any other medications designed to help with this problem is dangerous.
He needs medical advice, for accurate advice he needs to give an accurate account of what he did while on Antabuse.