Alcoholism Community
Alcohol Tolerance Extremely High?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Alcohol Tolerance Extremely High?

I am a 24 yr old female, 130 lbs. I don't drink daily, usually only a few times a month. A couple weeks I blew at a .16 breathalyser  (4.5 hrs after I stopped drinking). I've also blown a .2 BAC (passed a field sobriety test), a .18 (6 hrs after I stopped drinking),  and was blood tested at .527BAC (was hospitalized, blacked out but never passed out, never went into a coma or anything). At the times of all the breathalysers I showed no physical signs of being drunk, according police officers, and I felt sober or maybe slightly buzzed. Why am I still alive? Why would my alcohol tolerance be so much higher than the average person?  Physically what am I doing to myself? Every website says I should technically be dead so I'm not getting any answers. (I feel inclined to tell I was only driving the once when I've had all these breathalyzers done. I don't drive drunk). Any help you could give me would be great.
I have no idea why, but I do have a question. Why the heck would you want to drink that much anyway. Alcohol is just as dangerous as other drugs. Don't drink stay alive. I jus thought I would let you know someone was here if you want to talk. But that question is beyond me.
Welcome to the site and thanks for having the honesty to talk about your sitaution.

To answer your question, physically you are doing great harm to your vital organs such as your liver. Over the course of time such abuse can be fatal. While outwardly your body appears to have a high tolerance for alcohol with low or no BA scores the inside of your body is probably a much different.

Please stop before you cause yourself more physical harm. While you may drink only a few times a month the amounts you consume when you drink indicate that you drink to excess when you do drink. This is not a good sitaution.

A great place to get help is AA. Please feel free to post any additional question s that you may have based on the responses you receive from others.
Interesting. The .52 BAC should have killed you according to what I was told in rehab. When you blew that, did the police take u straight to the ER to get your stomach pumped?
Thats some pretty serious binge drinking your doing there. I don't have a clue as to how your getting around alcohol poisoning if your only doing this a few times a month,,Especially blood testing up to a .527.. Hear lately though there have been reports of people testing even higher than that. Up in the .6 and .7 range functioning in a manor that most won't even notice as being "intoxicated". The last one I heard of was an older woman who got stopped for a moving violation, blew a phenominal number..So big they did blood test her as they said her BAC could not be what it was reading.

This is one behavior you definitely want to change though. The amounts of alcohol your consuming when you do drink most certainly is doing physical damage.

As mentioned above and is common knowledge is what it will do to a person's liver..But also need to mention the damage to your stomach..Ulcers are certain to catch up to you..Plus, if you ever get seriously injured and they give you pain meds, that I've heard could be deadly if the damage has reached a certain threshold. I worked for a fellow that had ruptured his spleen taking a fall after drinking himself into a near stubor, was hospitalized, but after runnng a couple blood tests (sp) the hospital personell determined they could not give him any pain meds because his liver wouldn't process it properly making the med super toxic or something along those lines.

You need to rid yourself of the bottles. Your way beyond being able to drink casually.
You are lucky you are here to tell about this.  Next time you may not be.   I hope you take a real hard look at your behavior and not about why do i have such a high tolerance.  Please check into AA or an addiction counselor.  Your life depends on it~~~~sara
Just because you don't show signs of being intoxicated don't think you aren't damaging your organs,especially your liver,pancreas and kidneys our organs are not made for ridding our bodies of toxins at these levels,
I didn't show signs of being intoxicated either but I had to stop drinking because I did damage my liver.
Think hard before you pick up another drink and get help now don't wait until it's too late.
AA or an addiction specialist would be a great start or just talk to your doctor let him/her know what's going on.

Denise
I can identify a lot with what you are talking about.  Not so much with the high numbers (I never got stopped and tested), or the binge drinking( i was a daily drinker)  but with the not realizing the damage we are doing to our bodies even though we feel fine.  I've had to get beat up pretty good to feel the pain I've put myself through.  I have a high tolerance for pain and will persevere through it to the point where it is detrimental to my health.  Learning and understanding that I need to stop before I hurt myself has been crucial to me lately.  I have a severe problem with my back.  If I take it easy I do ok.  However I am able to lift heavy objects, I can run, throw and be physical without any pain.  However, if I do these things my vertebrea may shift far enough that it causes permanent damage, so I am learning to back off.  It isn't easy but it is necessary for my own well being.   The question to ask ourselves is "How bad does it have to get before I am willing to change?"  God Bless!!!!
"every website said i should be dead but i'm not getting any answers"......someone once said to me why do u ask questions that u already have the answer 2?????the answer is simple.......u r incredibly lucky to be alive!don't tempt fate....insanity IS repeating the same mistakes and xpecting different results......to drink again would be  sheer folly for u......i hope u get to AA and some counseling with a good substance abuse counselor and a hopeful support group!!!!