Alcoholic Dementia? - and advice
My mom has been a functioning alcoholic for the last 15 years and has now hit an all time low, she has took voluntary redundancy, my nan got really ill (shes 90) and now my mom has gone down hill fast. She has refused to eat over the last 6months and now weighs 6 stone!! she was a healty 10 stone last year... she was so bad she ws admitted to hospiat NYE. and is still in. on various drips etc.. the thing which is worring my sister and i is that her memory is strange, the consultants this she has alcoholic dementia??!! has anyone ever experienced this, is is treatable... she is putting on wieght now in hosital and is eatimng again. she is on some sort of detox too. and has had numerous saline drips etc... do you think weve lost our mom (in a mind sense?? to the alcohol.... even if she doensnt drink again) the family GP has seen her over the last 12 months at home and i feel had writtem her off a a depressive alcholic.... any advice?? (would have vitamin b12 suppliments have prevented this??)

Many thanks,
All I can say to you is pray and keep faith. Right now your mom may be going through a traumatic experience that nobody but God can bring her through. I have a family member like that also so I can somewhat relate to how your feeling. Sometimes ppl deal with things the best way they know or feel fit but don't give up on her or get stressed. Just trust in God and everything will work out for the best. Things will get better. I don't know you but I will keep you in my prayers :-)
At age 90 and w/alcoholic induced dementia that is YEARS of heavy drinking w/possible irreversible damage.All u most likely will be able to do is keep her medically stable for as long as possible....and no B12 would not have prevented this.For as long as she doesn't drink her body may be able to do some repair but i wonder...how are u taking care of urself?