Alcoholism Community
Alcoholism & Dizziness

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Alcoholism & Dizziness

been suffering with dizziness and anxiety for 5 years now... have finally concluded that the alcohol (drank every night for about 7 years) may be causing the dizziness as i had a REALLY heavy drinking session at the weekend and could barely stand... i have cut down (3 days now) but it seems to remain - can alcohol cause lbyrithitis and can anyone else relate??? i really hope they can, things actually rotate for a few moments and i geel ever so sick at the time...i'm really worried and before anyone says see a doctor - i practically live at the doctors :-(
Certainly alcholol abuse could be a factor but it is not the only thing that can cause dizziness and axiety.  
When you mention things rotating it sounds like vertigo.  Does the rotation usually occur the same way (either the room turns right or the room turns left each time)?  Do you notice any hearing loss?  Ringing in your ears?  
Have you told your doctor about your alcohol consumption?  I was plagued with vertigo while i was actively drinking.          sara
Thankyou both so much for your replies

my dizziness has been monitored on and off for years now, definatly worse when i turn in bed or move my head one way - just been to the ENT clinic last month who said it sounds like its the anxiety and nothing to do with the ears!!! then why are they always full and ringing and why is flying agony and provokes dizziness for weeks after, i dont think they listen very well!!!

My doctor knows i drink and keeps telling me i must stop... i am reducing my intake with success, i just want the dizziness to go away :-(
Hopefully once you get to zero intake the dizziness will stop.....
This is one of the major symptoms that led me to question my drinking and detox.  After many years of drinking, I began getting dizzy with each episode.  By the time I stopped it had gotten so bad that I could barely drive or walk.  It took about 6 weeks for it to go away, and that's with NO DRINKING.   Each week got a little better.

Cutting back probably won't do it.  I think you need to stop and give your body a break.  And be patient.  It took a long time for you to get this way, so you have to give yourself some time to heal.  
Thank you - my ultimate goal is to be alcohol free - FOR LIFE... I'm just a little scared to go cold turkey as i've read horrible stories about the DT's so figured a sizeable reduction then reducing again prior to quitting would be the safest method??
fingers crossed - thank you
defo booze and anxciety im goin through the same thing ive had panic att since i was about 12 im now 33 i started just weekends like most and been drinking more an more i was basically self medicating with alcohol .. Finally affter about 2 or 3 years of night after night drinking ( 4 beers and a few whiskeys usually ) my body said alright **** for brains thats enough and stopping wasnt difficult because i felt so bad with panic ,headache,dizzyness and bladder issues and so on the last thing i wanted was booze .. so for a week it would roll on 8 oclock pm normal start time for a dinkie and id feel really dizzy and would drink loads of water and have to ly down ! im now on day 10 without the booze and still get the spells but less dramatic so think im on the mend ... now ive come to the conclusion that booze is not good for some1 like me with my condition it goes after your nervous system and your emotinal state goes to hell .. i have 4 lovely cold beers in the fridge and ive took 1 to bed with me twice over the 10 days but ended up not opening it .. will i have 1 tonight ? can i have just the 1  ?  watch this space ....