Alcoholism Community
Alcoholism and feet/abdomen swelling

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Alcoholism and feet/abdomen swelling

Hi, my question is in regards to my husbands health.  He has had extreme swelling of the feet and abdomen.  The swelling in his feet are bad and it goes up to around his knee area.  He say's it's painful and has trouble wearing his shoes.  He is an alcoholic and has been for years.  I've noticed other certain physical changes as well.  His face seems quite swollen and a redish color, his eye's seem bloodshot or a mixture of blood with a yellow cast to them.  I guess my question is could all this swelling be due to liver failure?  He does see a doctor on a reg basis about once every 3 months to get blood pressure checked (which is high) and other things too as a standard procedure with high blood press. and cholestrol etc.  She never seems to concerned about the swelling and just keeps having him take more lassiks (not sure sp) but on the other hand I don't believe he shows her his feet either.  They look like baloons with little toes sticking out.  Would seem more likely a liver problem or a kidney problem?  Sorry for all the info but thought it would be helpful.  I forgot to mention he is 55 yrs old, 5'9" and weighs 250lbs approx.  Thank you....
It sounds like he has some very serious problems going on. There are so many things that can be causing the edema but with the drinking and yellow in his eyes it sure sounds like liver or kidney problem. These can be tested for with simple blood tests. I recommend he gets to the doctor and make sure they are aware of everything you mentioned here ASAP! Print out what you wrote if need be. DONT wait a week or two, get him in as soon as you possibly can. Best Wishes for you both, Randy
i totally agree w/rpoos advice!i am seen for hypertension every 6 months.I could stand to lose 25 lbs.I 'm on a low dose of lisinopril hcz and i have to have a fasting CBC that checks every thing including liver and kidney functioning for i was told high BP meds affect this!he REALLY needs to have this done ASAP and it sounds like it hasn't been done?
The yellowing of the eyes is the biggest alarm here.  His bilirubin is way up and he's jaundiced, meaning his liver is struggling badly.  He needs immediate medical attention and of course, he has to stop drinking.  Don't be surprised if he refuses.  Denial is all part of active alcoholism.  HE is the only person who can stop his drinking.  
Thanks Jay for the advise.  I'm not new to the alcoholism with him but am new to dicussing it.  I guess I am more worried now because it really seems to be taking a toll on him both mentally and physically than it was say 5/10 yrs ago.  I know he know's he has this problem but somehow I think he just turns a blind eye to it thinking it's not as bad as it is.  Not sure on that but I am sure that these other symptoms I mentioned are getting worse.  I feel this could even be a heart related issue.  He's so stuborn though I've pleaded with him and so have his kids to go to the doctor if not the ER but he won't.  
Thanks Randy for your advise too.  I know this is serious but trying to get him to the doctor has just been impossible for me.  His kids called here today begging him to go but he won't.  It's just so hard sometimes to know what to do as if I don't push I feel guilty and if i do then he get's mad at me and we have problems.  
No way to tell for sure without tests, but I agree with the others here.  Get a blood test that includes a liver work-up, and try to get a CT Scan or ultra sound to look at his liver.  If your current Doc won't do this, go somewhere else.  

When I was a drunk, I didn't go to the doc because I did not want to hear bad news.  But getting answers is a starting point for taking the necessary action to "fix yourself".  How would he feel if a doctor told him "if only you'd have stopped a couple of years ago, we could have fixed this"?  That could be him 2 years from now....in other words, he may be able to take care of the problem but he needs to act soon.   I hope this didn't sound like a scare tactic from me.....it wasn't meant to be.  I had to face some of this myself, and finally decided I wanted to live.  
Hey no not sounding like a scare tatic at all...believe me I hear everything your saying.  It's so very true.  He has to do something because it seems to me and others that are around him that his physical problems that come from drinking are happening much quicker than they did in the past.  He has a family history too of acholholics such as his brother and both his mother and father.  It certainly is a vicious circle and affects everything and everyone in his life.  Thanks for sharing with me.
The symptoms do pick up speed as you get further into drinking.  I hope and pray that he will listen to your advice and get some help.