Alcoholism?

I used to be able to drink a lot in college.  However, now in my mid 30's, I have found that over the years, my tolerance has gone down.  The main problem I have is that when I drink (maybe once a month), I get drunk very quickly and make wrong choices about drugs like cocaine, which are really having negative effects on my life.  When I am sober, I never think of doing drugs.  I find it very hard to drink in moderation.  

Is this what is referred to as alcoholism?  Is alcohol my problem?  I thought that if I stopped alcohol, then I would never do drugs.  But no matter what, every few months, I fail and am back to square one.  I'm not sure if giving up alcohol entirely is the right choice.  If it is, then I will do it, even if it means changing my friends, social life, etc.  But I just want to be sure this is the problem and not something else.

Thanks!
Further piece of information - I never really crave a drink.  I just end up drinking when I go out for lack of something better to do and since everyone else is doing it (does not mean I don't enjoy the drinking, just means I never go out just to drink).
Hi and thanks for posting.  It sounds to me like not drinking is the right thing to do. Do you do drugs without drinking first?  When you are out and everybody else is drinking what is it that you are really craving?  I'm not saying that it is alcohol.  Chances are that it isn't.  I know for me that there was something inside of me that needed to be satisfied and I used alcohol to cover it up.  Once I figured out what was going on inside me was I able to be ok no matter where I was at.  For many of us drinking and drugging is a symptom of our disease.  What is it that causes me dis ease?
google DSM-IV definition of alcohol dependence......and truthfully answer if the symptoms apply to u!

Alcohol has become your master you can quit for a little while and then you drink a    You can not quit by yourself without help its to much the disease of alcoholism.   You need to go to a treatment center were you can get help.   This is a 12 step program.  You will learn how not to drink.   I highly recommend a alcohol treatment center its not easy but it will save your life if you let it.     You will meet people that are going through the same things you are this will make you feel that you are not alone.    I've been a couple of times 28 day programs all you have to do is talk to someone in AA preferable one of the leaders and they will help you get in a treatment center.    Or you can go to mental health they have counselors on hand that will get you in to the program.   Don't let mental health scare you that's there job to help people in need an it want cost a lot of money.   You can do this I did and I do not drink any more.
The bottom-line about this disease is that it never gets better. Since you are concerned about your drinking the best way to find answers to your questions is seek out and talk to a recovering alcoholic. It won't cost you anything and I am sure any member of AA would be happy to talk to you. Since I am an alcoholic, I know that for me, if I honestly am seeking answers I can only find them by talking to another alcoholic. Take it easy, GG