Alcoholism Community
Cutting back to stop

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Cutting back to stop

Hello! i've been drinking for around 5 years. Recently my drinking has got worse. 3/4 beers and half a bottle of vodka or whisky a night. last few weeks i've had diarrhea - i guess from drinking. I drink to avoid having panic attacks, and I have panic attacks due to drink! I have 2 children and don't want them to loose me. I was going to quit cold today, but after reading some things on the internet that might not be the best idea. thinking tonight 1 beer and one small vodka, tomorrow the same, in two days cut the vodka and 2 or three days after that the beer to. Anyone with thoughts? would greatly appreciate any comments or advice.
Hello Ruth,

I am glad to hear you are wanting to quit drinking! There are many people here who will strongly encourage you to seek professional help to stop drinking as it can be life threatening to stop on your own but.. 2 1/2 years ago I did it the same way as you.

Take a look at this website http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

I read over quite a bit of it and it seems like a good site that could help you out.

Also since you have been consuming so much alcohol I think it is a good idea to see your doctor for two reasons. I too deal with anxiety on a daily basis. A few years ago I talked to my doctor about it and he started me on an anti-anxiety medication called Lexapro. It was a little miracle pill because it gave me the ability to function normally in society such as being in crowded areas, malls, movies, even gave me the ability to start driving again! The second reason for your visit is to have a complete physical. Mainly lab testing. You have been drinking a lot for quite some time so liver disease is something you will want to rule out. Did you know that most people that develop liver disease won't have symptoms until they have reached end stage cirrhosis? This was my diagnosis 03/23/10. Liver disease is reversible in the fibrotic state, this is the stage before cirrhosis develops. Make sure your honest with your doctor concerning the amount of alcohol your drinking, this will help him/her prescribe the right anxiety medication for you and do the proper lab testing.

Like you said, "I have 2 children and don't want them to loose me". You will be such a great mother to do this for them, think of all the time you could spend with them, going out together to parks or doing other activities that drinking stops you from doing now.

You can do this, there are many people in this forum that already have and are loving their new life! I drank for more than 20 years and though I've banged up my liver pretty bad this is undoubtedly the best time in my life. I hope the same for you and your children :) Take care and I hope you will let me know how things are going.

Randy

Hi Ruth. Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to add my support I also have children and I missed much time with them As you know alchol ties us to the drink and the drink usually sits on the table !! You will find you have a lot of time on your hands and we laugh more.. I'm with Randy a good check up with your Dr, would be good and keep you from guessing of this is the problem. I feel very Happy for you that you made this decision and wish you and yours the very best. lesa
Hi!
Thanks for the replies. For the first time in several weeks i was able to take my daughter to school without feeling like i was going to have a heart attack this morning! I will go to a doctor, but at the moment i'm working/living abroad, and don't speak German! I don't/won't go to a doctor that's inhouse, because i'm afraid it will (and it will) get back to my superiors. So i'll wait until christmas and go when i get back home for vacation. So far so good, a couple more days of only a couple of beer's and then no more.  
Many thanks Randy and lesa - many thanks.

Ruth
That great your cutting back at a comfortable pace I hope.  I understand about the doctor but when you have the chance you will find the anxiety pills to work wonders but that could even improve on it's own if it's caused from drinking. Hereditary is another cause.

Did you find the link helpful and have you put together a tapering plan? I guess your kids are old enough too be excited and support what you are trying to accomplish so that should prove very helpful too. Nice to hear back from you Ruth and keep staying positive :)

Randy
Just a bit of good news!! No longer is it required to have a liver biopsy to find if you have scarring on your liver that turns into cirrhosis. Now, there is a "fibro-scan" which is a non invasive ultrasound, to check on your liver. No fear. Please see a doctor about tapering and full work up!! Thank God that you have found the strength to give your children back their real dad!! Feel better. You can do this!!! Hugs. Liz