Alcoholism Community
Fever after drinking

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Fever after drinking

Hello.  I am a 28 year old female that occasionally drinks.  Meaning that the one or maybe two nights a week that I happen to go out I will have no more than two drinks.  Recently after having just one drink (beer, or mixed drink) I have felt like I was coming down with the flu.  I run a fever and have chills.  I go home and lie in bed shivering and trying to be comfortable.  I have found that taking ibuprofen does help to reduce the fever and help me to feel better.  I have no problem not drinking since this has been happening.  I am just curious to find out if it sounds familiar to anyone or if anyone could explain what might be going on with my body.

I was told by my doctor that drinking alcohol does lower your immune system and can make you more succeptible to getting sick.  However, what you are describing is an immediate reaction.  I have several friends that get really red cheeks when they drink.  They have told me that they are semi-allergic to alcohol, yet they continue to drink anyway.  I don't know what their condition is called.  How long do your symptoms last?  I would say you should definitely speak to your doctor, especially if the same thing has happened a few times.
Your friends probably have Alcohol flush reaction, especially if they are of Asian decent.
http****
(based on what I'm reading, it could make your face feel hot like you have a fever)

Misshappfaery, you may have some sort of allergic reaction. There's other things than just alcohol you may be allergic to.
You are withdrawing from the alcohol.  This starts to happen over time...
Each time you drink now it will probably happen.  The best thing you can do is limit how much you drink - severely.  Also, if you are going to be drinking, take a B-complex vitamin before and after, drink pedialyte before and after... the minute you wake up the next morning... drink as much water and pedialyte as you comfortably can.  Don't eat until you do not have a fever... or you will throw up.
My daughter is a 43 year old alcoholic. She has been going through a battery of test for tremors, fever, confusion, sight problems, tingling, numbness and lack of coordination.  So far they have ran every test available.  She has an appointment with a neurologist next week.  Her primary care physician said it may be ms.  I am worried about her.  She has not told her physician she is an alcoholic.  She is a functioning alcoholic, works, then drinks until she passes out. Weekends are a drinking marathon with she and hubby.  She has not worked the past two weeks because of symptoms and panic attacks.  I don't want to interfere in her life but I really think her physician needs to know about the drinking.  I am wondering if her alcoholism is contributing to her symptoms and physical problems.  Please any help will be appreciated.
u need to watch combining ibuprofen with alcohol.....both in excess can cause irritation and bleeding of the stomach lining.
Google alcoholic neuropathy.Sounds like ur daughter has the symptoms of this!I knew a very functional hardworking alcoholic who drank heavy that had this.Symptoms will subside and go away if one gets sober but it is a devastating disorder on the central nervous system.
Booze is a KILLER!! Killer of health, family, friends. relationship and your spiritual being.Living without booze, I am an alcky who attends AA,has opened my spiritual side and I am so much happier and I DON"T miss shakes,***** and shivers.Oh never mind the two yrs of alcoholic seizures!