Alcoholism Community
How long does it take for a fatty liver to develop into cirrhosis or a ...

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

How long does it take for a fatty liver to develop into cirrhosis or a more serious stage of liver problems?

I know the first stage of liver damage is fatty liver which is not dangerous itself but if for example the fatty liver is caused by an individual's drinking or their obesity how long does it take for the fatty liver to develop into cirrhosis? Is it weeks, months or years? I have been drinking quite a lot in the past but I don't think I have liver damage yet because I've only been doing it for a few years which is probably not enough I might have a fatty liver but that's it but if I keep drinking will it go on to cirrhosis over time if so how much time and there is any way I can stay at fatty liver and continue to drink without going on to cirrhosis? I mean not everyone with fatty liver will actually go on to cirrhosis right? I mean some people do other's don't that's what some people have told me. I am still drinking but  a lot less then I did in the past now I only have a bottle of wine (750 ml) every friday, saturday and sunday with the other days off is this still excessive or not really? A 750 ml bottle of wine is only 4 glasses so for me it doesn't seem excessive.
It varies significantly, depending on your genetics, physiology, and many other factors.  There is no way to predict how quickly or slowly it can happen. Don't roll the dice and play games with your health.  Go see a doctor and get yourself tested.  If you have fatty liver, you can reverse it with time.  
It would be a lot easier if you would keep all your questions to one thread........
I felt great,didn't suffer any side effects,then my doctor did a routine blood test,my liver function test had more than tripled in 2 years,I was told a normal test should read between 0 and 45 mine was 35,two years later and another blood test it was 110,I felt fine,my doctor told me if I didn't stop I was headed to getting cirrhosis of the liver,I did stop and 3 months later my levels were back within a normal range,but I have been warned if I start to drink again my levels will rise quickly and they will not recover.You need to get your liver checked,you don't always feel the results of damage until it's too late,don't wait

Denise