Alcoholism Community
Qutting alcohol/caffeine/cigarets

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Qutting alcohol/caffeine/cigarets

Hi everyone! I am new here. Ive been trying to quit drinking for about a year now and I keep failing, making it a week at most... I drink 3-4 times a week, I can never seem to have 1 or 2 beers. I've noticed that the more caffeine I have the more I want a drink, and then when I drink I smoke.... Ive researched this online and could not find anything.

Is quitting all three of these safe?
yes but you need to do it under doctors supervision.....

your drinking is going to progress if you don't stop, I was like you and it was not until I got help that I was able to deal with my problem.....I got the help I needed by going to AA and my family doctor.....
Ray
Hi, maybe you could try quitting just one of these vices at a time.  I quit smoking first then 3 years later I quit drinking.  Still think about it tho.  Hang in there.  I still drink lots and lots of caffine tho!  I'd rather drink caffine than alcohol any day!
Hi Matt, I quit smoking cigarettes (two packs a day marlboro mediums / reds) for going on two years now. i have been on and off caffeine (2 liter bottle of coke or more a day), I dont recommend doing all three at once. you'll go crazy! the cigarettes are going to be the most difficult to give up.( dont believe me? just wait!) quit drinking first. get yourself sober, then knock out the cigarettes. You'll notice that you'll require FAR LESS caffeine when you quit smoking. nicotine makes your body metabolize caffeine much faster. when you eliminate nicotine (cigarettes), you'll find it very easy to cut down on caffeine. You may even decide not to quit caffeine after all. Requiring less of it will cause you to drink less of it and moderate consumption of it will become a non-issue. There's my two cents. Good luck man!
btw: i'm on my third day of quitting drinking today. and i'm 26/M, seems like i have similar addictions that you have. take my advice
i quit cigs for 6 weeks, it was hard, drinking def is the hardest for me, or maybe caffeine,

I just get that thirst for a beer, like running a few miles and wanting water after, I cant explain it, is there anything you can do to calm that craving? lol if anyone even has an idea what im talking about

I havent had any DUIS or anything, but I know it will happen if i stay along the course, any tips would be great, thx for the support all, yeah HIV were both 26, rare to find someone my age
well the good news is that i dont have HIV i only thought i did. just tough it out. i know the craving for a beer that you're talking about. they pass over. its just your brain demanding one cuz you're addicted. it wont stay that way forever. trust me.
well im glad that you dont have HIV, that must of been an anxious time for you. I know that I will never be in the clear, but after a month does it get easier?
after a month of what? quitting drinking? i have never quit drinking for a month. im speaking of addiction in general. and i do have experience quitting smoking. that got way easier after a month.  
Hello. I would reccomend dealing with the alcohol first, as it will kill you if it progresses. Smoking might, however alcohol will. Have you ever been to AA? Within its meetings you will find a solution to your drinking if you can keep an open mind. Ice been around for a while, and I can tell you from my experience, that even though I still smoke and drink coffee and mtn dew, its much better than when I was consuming alcohol.
/
The issue for most people who quit drinking is not the physical craving, it is the emotional and mental hell that there lives have become because of drink....
When I was serious about wanting to quit drinking and smoking I started using AA. Living by using AA's principials helped my to stop drinking and not wanting to drink. Now I an using the same principials to stop smoking. The beauty of it is I'm not a dry drunk, I am happy now and don/t crave it. I haven't had a drink in three years and am down to about 4 cigarettes a day. Talking about ways to overcome these desieses whith people that share them with you is a great tool I get from AA. Your can take what works and leave the rest.
Why would someone want to give up coffee?
bbq33