Turkey Day Temptation
I just wanted to say happy turkey day and wish the very best to everyone finding it difficult to maintain their sobriety through this holiday. Stay strong and make your family proud, be proud in your efforts as well!

Randy

Thanksgiving:

In the United States, the modern Thanksgiving holiday tradition is commonly, but not universally, traced to a poorly documented 1621 celebration at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts. The 1621 Plymouth feast and thanksgiving was prompted by a good harvest.

Pilgrims and Puritans who began emigrating from England in the 1620s and 1630s carried the tradition of Days of Fasting and Days of Thanksgiving with them to New England. Several days of Thanksgiving were held in early New England history that have been identified as the "First Thanksgiving", including Pilgrim holidays in Plymouth in 1621 and 1623, and a Puritan holiday in Boston in 1631.

Thanksgiving proclamations were made mostly by church leaders in New England up until 1682, and then by both state and church leaders until after the American Revolution. During the revolutionary period, political influences affected the issuance of Thanksgiving proclamations. Various proclamations were made by royal governors, John Hancock, General George Washington, and the Continental Congress, each giving thanks to God for events favorable to their causes. As President of the United States, George Washington proclaimed the first nation-wide thanksgiving celebration in America marking November 26, 1789, "as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favours of Almighty God".

Every year, the President of the United States will "pardon" a turkey, which spares the bird's life and ensures that it will spend the duration of its life roaming freely on farmland.
Bless you and bless us all. Amen! :-)
today is 29 years ago after the bar closed that i had my last drink and drug!it was tempting in the beginning....but i had proved over and over what a failure i was @ controlled drinking and recreational drug use!The time went slow in the beginning...first 3 years...but time moves on......and i have much to be grateful for......no longer enslaved by liquid chemicals or otherwise!hope all had a nice day!
Thank you and the same to you.  I just celebrated my 1 year and am no way going to throw that away.  Luckily my family does not really drink around me, but the temptation is still there.  Thank you for the reminder!!

God Bless
Ibizan a very big congradulations to you my friend! I am so proud to have you as our group leader. You are such a wonderful person to devote so much of your time and personal experiences in an effort to help the rest of us!

You are very fortunate to find the strength you needed to maintain your sobriety through happy times and hard times. You are the perfect example, Be very proud of the fine lady you have become! Thank you for all that you do :)

Randy
Hello GoPenn!

I am really glad to hear you made it through the day! That temptation will disapate in time. Anytime you are feeling tempted just remember these words:

"Today, I smile, I laugh, and I love.  No lie, it’s still a daily struggle to deal with grief and addiction, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel….
And so can you……………… "

You have been through so much and worked hard to come so far. Congratulations on your one year! I'm so glad you took your life back!
Take care!

Randy
thx dear man!i credit my strength to 2 parents...one who was 2 nd generation Slovenian...first job @ age 10.......struggled thru the great Depression as did my mother who struggled w/2 mentally abusive parents and one who molested her....she left home and worked to put herself thru nursing school in the 1940's!i have 2 tough parents.....i think i luckily inherited some of that from them!I used to complain @ how strict they were when i was young...and oh yes i rebelled....but hindsight and recovery is a blessed thing......they taught me a self discipline that is necessary for sustained recovery!I'm glad i reclaimed my life!from the darkness to the light!
My first two years were the most rollercoasterish emotionally and mentally....but i kept myself @ sober ppl and for me a LOT of meetings helped....i didn't always agree w/ a lot there but i took what i could use and left the rest....and stuck close to those w/good recovery who walked what they talked!U just keep doing what ur doing......stay disciplined mentally....and u will succeed!Plus i didn't go @ the old drinking /using buds.....that is a big downfall for many!
I am humbled to be surrounded by such wonderful people here~
we love u here 2 dear!how u been lately?u been on my mind a lot!hows family...2legged and four?
It's  been very tough, one foot in front of the other.  Nights are the worst now as my mind goes to places that i have forgotten about.  My childhood flashes thru my head and i remember the good times and how i wish i was little again.  I feel like an orphan.  I hate the grieving process but am grateful to be clean and sober.  No matter how bad it hurts it is necessary to walk thru this and feel the emotions.  My 4 legged babies have been very comforting.  I cry and they jump on my lap and lick my face!  I still miss Snickers but he is with both of them again.  Bottom line here, this suxs.....

How are you and your babies doing?
Sarah,

I feel so bad to hear how hard things are for you right now. I have seen you be so strong and help so many, I really wish there were something I could say or do unfortunately with matters of the heart "time" is what is needed. I'm so glad you have your "four legged babies" there with you. Take good care of yourself my friend, you are in my prayers.
Your words are comforting~

I am okay, i am clean and sober and with that i can get thru anything~
Oh how i recall the early first 2 years of greiving when my dad passed......it took 3 for me b4 a full acceptance of it came to be.Now i go see my mom.....and how this Lewy Body Dementia continues to take its toll on her:(and i flip back to the good times of early childhood...especially holiday times when we celebrated w/ethnic foods and were happy w/ a new pair of wool mittens and/or flannel pj's under the tree!i have a pic of my mom and dad taped near my kitchen sink.....in better times...and i roll back the cameras to happier times....and grateful i had them!its all one can do.......and ur so right...u just keep pushing thru the sadness and these greyhounds and cats of mine w/their soft funny ways help the healing process along!