Alcoholism Community
What risk do I have by quitting alcohol cold turkey?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I hope someone can answer this question for me about withdrawal risks.  I quit once for two months without problems, and I've heard that every time you quit there are more severe withdrawal symptoms.

* I'm 36/Male
* Drink between one and two bottles of wine per evening (750ml ~ 1.5ml) for the past four years.
* I drink at night - I start anywhere between 5 pm & 9 pm, same amount - in bed by 1 am
* This has been a repetitive habit for about ten years now that began with 1/2 a bottle of wine.

I'm not the "type" of alcoholic that drinks in exchange for therapy - I simply drink because I enjoy it, and it passes time in the evening!  I just made a decision today to stop and it was quite easy.  I don't have medical insurance - nor do I want an addiction on my medical record.  I do not have the time or money for an in-patient detox center.

I'd like to know, based on my profile - what the chances are of health threatening symptoms occurring this time around when I stop?  Naturally, I'll keep some alcohol around and if I get all that frightened, I'll drink a little - just not so much - but - I don't think I'd know how to recognize an impending seizure?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!  
Alcohol withdrawl (withdrawal) is not that bad (compared to opiates)..depending on how much and how trashed you get when you drink,,,,

Some may say you're a  "functional" alchoholic..meaning..the drinking has not made life unmanageble but will dimish the quality of life and shorten it greatly..

I drank hard and heavy ..when I quit I had a seizure...but I drank to oblivion daily at a young age,,,,,

If you quit before without problems..(if the amount is basically the same)  you should be ok...jitters for a few..anxiety....try to stay away from caffeine,,,drink decaf or jsut a little.....b12 is good,,,,shot is better...if you have a juicer...apple/carrot is good...

others will chime in,,,,

good luck ..you will do fine

Free~

others will chime in,,,,

good luck ..you will do fine

Free~
Alcohol withdrawal is far more dangerous than opiate withdrawal. In fact, there are more alcohol detox deaths than opiate detox deaths.

At the first sign that you have tremors, shaking, hallucinating or anything that seems abnormal, please call 911.

I wish you the best.
I agree with IBKleen.  Unfortunately I don't think you can predict who will have seizures or the DTs with their alcohol withdrawal.  It's best if you can do it under a doctor's supervision.  My ex never had the DTs or seizures when he'd stop.  He was a very heavy beer drinker.  He was also more of a bender drinker.  He would get irritable when not drinking but that was it.  He did a lot of detoxes and rehabs and also on his own.

Another friend drank less in amount than my ex but drank vodka and whiskey and drank every day.  He tried to stop on his own several times but always needed to go to the ER.  His blood pressure got dangerously high and he always needed to be medically detoxed.

If you really insist on doing it on your own, then definitely have the phone nearby in case you start feeling really bad.  I wish you the best.  I also just want to mention that aftercare is really important.  Having a sponsor makes a big difference.
Since we really can't give you medical advice on this forum, the information offered is usually based on personal experience.
I'm a recovering alcoholic (and pill head). I quit drinking 27 years ago, but 12 years in I found pills...And off to another addiction. Threw this in to warn you about switching one drug for another; very easy for us addicts to do. Be careful.
Basically, in my opinion and experience, if you don't have any ongoing health problems, i.e., untreated high blood pressure, depression, heart problems, etc., then quitting drinking on your own should be OK. But no matter - health issue or not - it really would be a good idea to talk to your doc about what you plan to do. Get some expert advice.  PERSONALLY, I found coming off a 20 year drinking problem to be much easier than detoxing from pain pills, but it can be dangerous, thus the doc's visit.
Many thanks everyone - is my thinking wrong that I can just have a drink if I really start to feel funny?  The last time I quit was this past New Year's and it lasted for two months ago - I wish I remained alcohol free; the first time felt like a life-changing positive experience and actually took lots of inner strength to bring myself to even try quitting.  This time around, I'm definitely feeling more confident and I don't feel that it's a challenge or that big of a thing.  One of the best things was I did, however, was remained involved as a volunteer at my church's addiction meetings - which are very similar to AA, just a little more spiritually centered.  

However, over those two months that I was sober, my weight dropped down to 185 - now it's back up to 205.  My blood pressure is slightly elevated but within normal range from smoking cigarettes.  I think another reason why I'm quitting this time around is because I'm simply not getting a thrill from drinking - although my limits are excessive, I know when to stop so I can function the next day.  Recently I found that I'm not feeling elated from drinking, and that I'm feeling like junk in the morning - so - I'm ready to ditch the ball and chain around my ankle.

For those who knew someone (or themselves) that quitting lead to emergency medical concerns - how much were they drinking per day, was it throughout the day?  I'm curious as to what the danger zone is - the last thing I want is to be driving and seize or have a heart attack - that would be a nail in a coffin!

Thanks!
I am curious if you did it and how it went. I too drink a couple of bottles of wine a night and am starting to feel crummy and jittery in thed mornings and am ready to stop. I have anxiety issues and think the alcohol both helps and contributes to these issues.