Alcoholism Community
drinking

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

drinking

I've been drinking alot during my first ten weeks of my pregnancy I'm really scared for baby. It was alot easier giving up drinking during my four previous pregnancies but this time round its hard I love my alcohol!?
Drinking while pregnant can cause serious birth defects to your baby. Maybe you should practice some social activities with friends?
I think you need to talk to your doctor about options for help. Just because this is number 5 does not make him/her any less important. Surely you want the best for your baby and you need some help. Many of us here have been dependant on alcohol and at some point asked for help. It's okay to ask, your doctor will be glad to help you and the baby. They want the best for you both and so do I! Can you really enjoy that drink knowing your baby is feeling it too?

4 kids at home, one more on the way and a mother that is abusing alcohol, this is not the type of parent or life you want for them. It is time to seek some help. Talk to your doctor, consider AA and if you have any other questions myself or others in the group will be glad to help you find rehabilitation that is appropriate for you. Thanks for posting and I hope the best for you and your children!

Randy
I'm sitting here shaking my head....I've worked w/FAS children...Fetal Alcohol Syndrome...it is a most ugly thing and something a child never asked for!I agree w/Rpoo...as usual.......150%!
Please talk with your OB about this.  Your baby is in grave danger with all the alcohol you are putting in your system.  I would also recommend some counseling.  You need to learn to love and respect yourself.  When you can do that you will put the alcohol down and realize the precious gift that you are carrying.  
I would also read up on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome......This is something these children live with forever.
You're alcoholism is out of control. You need treatment. Detox. You need to come clean like the rest of the parent's out here that have quit drinking for their families, for themselves. You need to be open and honest about your alcoholism. YoPlease, for goodness sake, tell your Primary Care Physician. Find a detox, treatment and aftercare. What ever it takes. I agree that a therapist would be a good idea, you are lying to yourself, and that is the greatest lie of all. u don't just "love" alcohol, a mother that put's their child's health at risk, possibly for life, is an alcoholic in denial. Have you thought about how you're going to explain to your children, including the one in your belly why you didn't seek help while you were pregnant, and caused FAS? Because it's as real as the possibility of your getting Cirrhosis. You don't "love" alcohol, you are escaping into a mind altering substance and inebriation. Why you feel that is better than enjoying real life with your family, is something you can talk about with a therapist. I'm prayiing that you're one of the ones that come on here for help, and take it!!!

.
I wanted to post this screening test on this thread for you as well,

Q: Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
Q: Is drinking making your homelife unhappy?
Q: Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
Q: Is drinking affecting your reputation?
Q: Have you had financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
Q: Do you turn to inferior companions and environments when drinking?
Q: Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
Q: Do you want a drink the next morning?
Q: Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
Q: Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
Q: Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
Q: Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
Q: Do you drink alone?
Q: Have you ever had a loss of memory as a result of drinking?
Q: Has you physician ever treated you for drinking?
Q: Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
Q: Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?

If you answered 3 items out of 20 Yes.

Your score is 15%. According to the Office of Health Care Programs, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, developers of this screening quiz, if you answered 3 of these questions with a Yes it is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and possibly considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. You may want to seek an evaluation by a healthcare professional.