foul odor
hi everyone hope your all doing well. heres my question, my father is a sever alcoholic. has been for may years and refuses to get help let alone admit he has a problem. the thing is ,he smells..terribly. he sits in his study and drinks around the clock ,sleeps for a few hours wakes up and begins again. its not the type of smell like he has not showerd. its a different kind of smell and it comes from inside him.. when he opens the door to his study ,its just overpowering . even after showering you can smell it . he recently went to our family doctor and she also noticed  his smell and how he looked ,and ran a liver pannel on him and it came back at 190. Does anybody know what that score means and where that smell is coming from!  Thank you all so much!

Jamie
what was his blood sugar?diabetes?
hello. according to online resources, the odor could be caused by several things. the most serious being liver or kidney failure. when these organs are damaged, the processes by which they remove toxins can be affected, resulting in a buildup of these toxins which in turn cause the odor. although elevated liver panels can indicate problems, the most accurate method of determining damage is a biopsy (taking a small sample of liver tissue) which can give a much better indication than blood tests alone. more importantly, the drinking you described will almost certainly cause major life threatening conditions if it has not already done so, and any damage done will not be effectively treated as long as the alcohol consumption continues. an alcoholic death is a horrible way to go, and there are resources available that can help such as aa and  medical treatment. i know because i drank the same way for many years, and was able to get sober by reaching out for the help available to me. best wishes, gm
My husband only drinks at night and only at home,He is an acholic goes thru about 8 bottles of burbon a week, and I no longer sleep with him because he truly stinks, but also now that he has his own bedroom it has the worst smell, I change his sheets 2 or 3 times a week, I have room deoderizers in that room, and when i am in there changing sheets I just want to gag.  Is there anyway to get the smell out?