Alcoholism Community
getting sick everytime i drink .. but never gotten sick after drinking ...

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

getting sick everytime i drink .. but never gotten sick after drinking for years

i have been drinking for years now, i never throw up the next day and i never get sick, not even a hangover. i stopped drinking for about a month and now every time i look see smell or drink alcohol i get nauseous. last time i drank i threw up five times. once that night and four times the next day. this happens even when i drink beer. my entire family drinks so im use to being around alcohol my whole life. and whenever i do get the chance to drink i just get tired and nauseous and go to sleep. what happend to me? im begging to know?? ... i use to drink every weekend and now the littlest bit of alcohol is getting me sick and its driving me insane!! please help!
its a GOOD thing u get sick or nauseous at the smell sight or tad of alcohol...mebbe it will move u to commit to not drinking....doesn't seem to be doing wondrous things 4 u!
ditto to what ibizan said, you dont know it now, but this universe works in mysterious ways. maybe its a hint, i never took all the hints i was given seriously....lol..i hope you do so you dont end up where i did, in the ER.   good luck to you!!!
no no no im not an alcoholic people im a social drinker im just trying to find an answer to my problem. but thank you anyway for your kind advice
im sorry i didnt mean to incinuate anything negative...i could not handle social drinking, i just know the hazards of drinking in general, and we all do/did it, and dont ever want to see anyone get hurt....please dont take my comment the wrong way, i would never label anyone...have a great day and i truly hope you have a great day
I think you should see a doctor if your problem persists. It seems very strange if you previously been able to drink with those side effects. Some people simply can not drink alcohol but that somebody should develop this condition after not drinking for only a month seems strange.
I would not worry about labels social or alcoholic drinking, the bottom line is your body is saying don't put the stuff in me, as sograteful said be aware of the hazards of drinking, everyone here would have been where you are now at some point in there drinking life so you need to think about things as regarding your drinking.....

Ray
This exact thing has happened to me. I loved drinking and I still do but I get nauseous every single time. I puked right outside Fenway tonight. I never puke and I wasn't even seriously intoxicated. These dorks answering don't quite understand the question but their advice is probably right on. I believe my body is telling me something. I plan to take a break from drinking after tonight. I have tried to press through it but it did not work. I'm curious of an update.
Being a Yankee fan, I get sick at the THOUGHT of Fenway :-P

But seriously Amanda, I used to get typical hangover sick like most other people until one day a few months ago I started getting REALLY hungover from even drinking a little bit. I'd be nauseous and dizzy, light-headed, and off balance all day.

You may not be an alcoholic or an alcohol abuser but your body might be trying to tell you something. It's not uncommon for people to be allergic to alcohol and it's also not uncommon for someone to suddenly develop allergies. You should talk this over with your doctor and see if he has any insight. In the meantime it might be worth it to just go ahead and stop drinking for a few months, give your body some time off.
"these dorks answering don't understand the question but their advice is probably right on"Medhelp would get quite upset if I truly expressed how i feel about your reference to the advice givers as dorks so i must refrain!There is good recovery here from ppl who have accepted their loss of control with alcohol and drugs and work hard to stay sober.Do not refer to them as dorks again-thank you and have a nice day!:)
I have to raise my eyebrows when someone comes to an alcoholism site and complains that they can't drink like they use to drink.  That being said, our bodies change over time, as we expose ourselves to too much alcohol.  My tolerance changed too, and I went from having no hangovers for years, to taking days to recover from a single night.  Your body is telling you something.......the party is over.    
thank you for your advice, but i have celiac disease, which means i cant eat gluten. gluten is wheat and there is wheat in beer which explains why i always felt sick. it was irritating the lining of my intestines which caused the nausea and cramping.

but thank you again