Alcoholism Community
is there help??

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

is there help??

my question is for anyone who mite have used to cut themselves....i understand for people who never have done it, how weird it sounds for someone to actually wanna harm their own body on purpose. but i want to stop it...i got so drunk the other nite n w my depression n my meds...i blacked out n cut myself sooo much..even on my face. (blame my kitty for scratchin me) but i need help to stop. ive seen therapists, n it doesnt seem to help. im goin into a inhome rehab for my drinking in a few days, but alchol is not my only problem. i love to wear tank tops , n im very paticular with my body...n all im doin is makin it worse. i hafta wear long sleeves all the time. is there any advice from anyone that know how i can quit this nasty addiction??
Hello and welcome to the forum,I can relate to that.   I think you I have cut myself several times but I talked to a good psychiatrist once who told me that was the same thing as taking pain pills, or other drugs, whatever.  He said that when I cut myself it releases dopamine and it gives you the sensation of being high.  In my case it is part of my OCD along with the addiction.  I have also had bulimic in my life. The last time I cut myself was about three months ago.  The last time I binged and purged was about two and a half months ago.  Above all it is a way of escaping and getting a temporary high.  One suggestion that I can give you is to put a rubber band on your wrist and when you start thinking about cutting, pop the rubber band as hard as you can until the craving goes away.  It hurts so it almost works the same as cutting but it is the lesser of two evils and it is like tapering off drugs.  Try to seek help before it gets worse.
Hi there! Im sorry your going through this. I did this for a while in my early 20's after a traumatic incident and I know how helpess it can feel.  While I know this is the substance abuse forum and they will probably move this post , I want to tell you that Mine was defintely fueled by alcohol! I was drinking alot then and definitely suffered from PTSD so the combo didnt mix well. For me, Once I stopped drinking, I stopped cutting.

I think that you going into Rehab is a great thing for you! IP Rehab not only addresses the Substance abuse issues but will also give you intensive therapy and counseling to address the REASONS you cut. Most people I have known have some incident in their lives that usually causes someone to want to hurt themselves.  

Please know that whatever it is that makes you feel like doing this, that youre worth so much more. I will hope and Pray that rehab will give you ALL the help you need!
If they move this post you can private message me if you need to.
i used to this as a teen, now im 30 and go get piercings and tattoos lol
I am 42 years old and have not cut myself in over a year. When I went into recovery it was easier to stop. I would drink, feel numb, and cut. I think if you get clean and learn different ways to cope it will get better...I dont think for myself it will ever go away. I cut when Im completely overwhelmed and disconnected to others. Ive learned how to speak up and tell someone that Im think about it and need to talk..that helps but its like any other addiction. It produces a high for me and then Im not so numb...I know its wierd but for years I never would talk to people about things that were bothering me.Once I learned how to do that and express my anger it got alot better..Im so sorry you are going through this, its embarassing and other people do not get it. But you are not alone!!!
your rite it is a tempoary high for me...but i have tried the rubberband but they never did help. hate to say it, but wen im drunk i also burn myself with my lighter.  but you went so long without doin it....i think we all relapse at a time, and hopefully you learned from it. thank you very much for your comment. :)
i have tats also...i love the pain it gives me, n the peircings i stopped cause im in my 30s n i didnt wanna scare my daughters friends. hhaa
sooo happy you havent done it in over a year. im also facing problems w my past that haunt me. n i guess thats why i drink n take xtra meds then it leads to cutting n blacking out. i jus want my happy life bak.
i can relate alot to you...im hoping after i stop drinkin that the cutting stops. n i dont understand why they would remove this post....if everyone is giving me good advise n lets me know that im not alone.
i actually had one specific spot on my left forearm and i got so self concious of how bad it looked i put out a cigarette on the spot and told everyone that i got burnt on a grill lol, please dont so this though, try to find something that makes you happy and when you feel like cutting remember the things that do make you happy, life is very depressing and it can consume you if you let it, no one is truely happy, we are always in a constant pursuit of happiness
They didnt remove it they Just moved it to another forum. The forum you posted on was the Substance abuse forum. Im actually surprised they moved it to the Alcoholism forum but it doesnt matter. You can always PM me or any of the other people who have posted on your thread.

thank you everyone for your posts. i guess i go to rehab on sun, very nervous about it. luckily i dont have any vodka in my house (my mom came here n dumped it out) but there is a liqour store down the street. thats my worse problem. n yeah i have the best mother n very supportive of my addiction, i will def respond wen i get bak home and share how it went. thanks again everyone :) have a blessed day to all!!!!!
Hi, your body is a precious machine that was passed on to you from birth. It represents the very essence of life itself and without it your brain could not experience things in life that lead to enlightenment as awareness that is needed when we are eventually carried off to the Universe. I dont believe we should view our bodies as something to bruise and injure, but should be thankful we are in good health.
A dear friend of my underwent eye surgery for gloucoma and had an infection complication and now is permantly blind in both eyes and is having a terrible time adjusting. She told me last week that she misses her sight and told me to appreciate mine.
If its the high your getting from the pain, there are other ways to get the adrenalin pumping without harming your body. Try taking your creative talents and coming up with a product or writing some song lyrics. Society is very generous for those with talents.
I too am soo sorry that you are going through this and it sounds a bit like self hatred as well. I'm also very glad you are going to rehab and I pray you be as honest as you can be and let yourself feel all the hurt pain anger and whatever else comes up while you are there and I think the truth will set you free by asking the right questions you will face some things with in yourself that perhaps you have tried to suppress  and when you come out hopefull it will have lost its sting and you will have a better way of dealing with pain as life has a way of throwing us some curve balls when we least expect it. Praying for you and thank you for your courage by co,ing on here.