Allergy Community
Antibiotic allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Antibiotic allergies

My eight year old is allergic to amoxicillin, zithromax, clindamycin, and cefzil. We have seen an allergist, and he said there are no tests for antibiotics and that "we have a problem." Can someone please guide me in what to do next? My doctor was hoping the allergist would help guide us for future treatments. I am fearful for any infection like strep throat, ear or skin infections, we have run out of options.

Before any injectable antibiotic is given, a sensitivity testing is done by giving a small dose of the medication subcutaneously and watching for any redness or itching.

In case of oral antibiotics, no such testing is available.

Do not worry about any future infections happening. Whenever any antibiotics are prescribed, you need to tell your doctor about the allergies your son has.

First dose of any medication would need to be given under supervision of your doctor, and your son would have to be kept under observation for any possible allergic reactions.

You should make a list of the medications he is allergic to, and not to use them in his case in the future.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and also about how your son is doing.

Regards.
The problem is my daughter  has had delayed sensitivity to amoxicillian, zithromax, clindamycin, and cefzil. All full body hives and with the lates episode, labored breathing. So if she is exposed to any of these meds again, the reaction my be quick onset, like anaphylaxis. What other anitbiotics are out there for children?

You need to keep antihistamine and antiallergic medications to be prepared for an unforeseen allergic reaction.

You could talk to her pediatrician about the other options that could be used. Advising any medication would need to be done under supervision of a certified physician.

Regards.