Allergy Community
low IGG levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

low IGG levels

Hi, and a 44 year old women with a question about immunology. I used to have allergies to just about everything - penicillin, ampicillin, amoxicillin, celcor, sulfa drugs, all cephalosporins, all OTC topical antibiotic ointments, cats, dogs, pollens, molds dusts, perfumes, detergents, etc.  I had terrible eczema and chronic general itchiness and I reacted very badly to some antibiotics. The last time I had penicillin (age 14) I got a rash all over my chest, neck, and lower face, my throat swelled, and I had difficulty breathing - and the doctors told me never to take it again or I might die from anaphylaxis.  My father also has anaphylactic reactions to penicillin.

That was years ago. I had allergy shots for 2 years, about ten years ago, but gave up because they didn't seem to help. I ripped all the carpet out of my house, have no upholstered furniture, covered all my mattresses and pillows with dust-mite proof covers, and got air purifies and a HEPA vacuum. That all helped a lot – but I no longer need to use the air purifies for about the last 5 years.

Now, a recent RAST test shows me having no allergies at all, to anything.  I now have 3 cats and a dog.  A doctor recently prescribed Bactrim for me (he forgot to check my chart for drug allergies) and I tolerated it just fine!  I had a recent test for IGG that showed it was in the low range, but not low enough to be clinically low.  I do get viral infections and UTI's frequently. I have had pneumonia twice in the last 4 years despite getting the flu and pneumonia shot.  Most of my blood tests are normal except a really low B-12 level, so now I get shots every month.

Why does the RAST test show no allergies?  And why do I not seem to have all the allergies I used to have?  Why have I lost my immune memory?    And why do I get sick so often?  I get another UTI almost every month – despite prophylactic Macrodantin after intercourse and lots of cranberry pills.  Are these things related?  Mostly my family practice doctor seems to just think I am a hypochondriac or a nut case and tells me I am fine, but I think it is pretty darn weird to have all my allergies go away like that and no longer be allergic to the drugs I have been allergic to for most of my life.  The allergist who tested my IGG levels and found out they were borderline was really worried about it, by my family practice doctor says it is unimportant.
Any clue?

Thank you,
Barbara
UTIs and allergies could indicate an overgrowth of yeast in your gut (candida).  This disrupts the good bacteria's job of digestion and absorption of nutrients/vitamins and can also lead to the low B12 you have.

I also have the low b12 and candida or Celiac's disease (allergy/autoimmune response to gluten) are the things that I have found that could potentially cause my symptoms and low b12.  You might google candida and celiacs if you haven't already looked into these options.
I'd like to know what you did differently to make the allergies go away!!! can you think of anything different you did?

I'd be interested to try whatever it was...LOL

Anyway IGG are delayed reaction antibodies, IGE are the immediate reaction ones. Like for example if a person eats something and right away notices a reaction that's IGE response. IGG is like if you eat something and get a headache the next day, that's IGG antibodies.

There's a really good natural remedy you can get at the health food store, called d-mannose that is for UTI's. I used to get them, and found taking that and drinking lots of water helped big time. The d-mannose grabs onto the bacteria and flushes it out of the bladder. It looks like corn starch and you just mix it in a huge glass of water and drink it a few times a day.

Maybe try not getting the flu shots and see if that helps? Flu shots are one of those things where you don't know what's in it and you hear a lot about flu shots supressing the immune system and causing people to get sick more often. Might be worth looking into.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Your condition is very interesting indeed!  Did you take any prescriptions for your UTI?