Allergy Community
treatment for severe allergic reaction to tide-bleach alternative

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

i used tide-bleach alternative last week for the first time and am suffering from a severe rash on my face,arms neck eyetc.  the doctor put me on prednisone 10mg and i have only taken 4 tablets so far and i do not feel any relief-is there another med that would work faster? and what is xyzal 5mg? i went on the TIDE line and read about people who are experiencing the same problem as i am ---some say prednisone did not work for them and they are on xyzal 5mg-please help me find an answer as i am affraid i am not going to get rid of this severe rash(which is like hundreds of tiny blisters)

Allergic reactions generally subside with oral antihistaminics such as cetirizine, loratidine, diphenhydramine/ benadryl. These drugs do not stop the reaction but relieve some of the symptoms. They may be given by intravenous or intramuscular injection in severe cases.

Corticosteroids such as prednisone, also help decrease the severity and recurrence of symptoms. Long term anti-allergic treatments include levocetrizine, loratidine or fexofinadine. You may discuss these treatment options with your doctor.

However, if the symptoms persist or increase in frequency or intensity or you experience any fever, cough or difficulty in breathing or sweating etc, you should immediately consult a dermatologist for proper treatment. Hope you soon get relief from your condition.

Regards

When I was a kid, my mother tried Tide.  There was only a dry formula or a liquid formula back then.  As it turned out, my entire family ended up being allergic to that brand.  I don't remember what she switched to at the time, but she quickly switched brands.  These days I don't even use a commercial brand.  I have so many allergies to nearly everything, so I have to be particularly careful myself.  Eversince my entire family had this allergic reaction to Tide when I was so small, I never saw another container with that label in the house again.  Now, when I buy things for myself, I steer clear of anything with that brand name.  I don't know what's different about that brand, but it has something in it that is highly allergenic.  Everyone in my family was affected.  

I would also avoid any other product that has this bleach alternative chemical in it.  Even if it's a different brand, because you're likely to run into the same problem.  I read some things about some natural alternatives to bleaching that is supposed to work even for white clothes on a website called Care2HealthyandGreen.  They have some other great cleaning tips, including some other really good laundry tips.  One of the main authors of these natural cleaning tips has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) herself, so she knows very well from using these tips herself.  There is even a good fabric softener tip among those laundry tips.  I don't even use fabric softeners myself, and I don't have any issues with static cling that people have so often.  But, there is a tip in there for people who want or need a fabric softener.

I'm only mentioning this, because you know you're going to have to avoid any similar cleaning and laundry products like the plague now, and it seems like you would be interested in finding some good natural alternatives that should help you avoid having such terrible and severe allergic reactions to cleaning agents.