Alternative Therapies Community
Running out of options for 16 yr old with mood disorder

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

16 yr old daughter diagnosed with bipolar nos/possible bpd
- hospitalized 2x -
on lots of drugs - "recovered" cutter
DBT not helpful
many therapists
having behavior issues on top of mood swings
found notes in room about wanting to feel "numb" - but not die (previous issues with suicide ideation)
tired of taking and switching medicine

would like to try alternative treatment..any thoughts on acupuncture?
Vitamin B12 helped me with my mood swings but selenium put a stop to them for good!  Within 3 days of eating brazil nuts!!! I was shocked to say the least as i've had mood swings for decades. Brazil nuts contain 50 - 80mcg of selenium per nut depending on the soil. Selenium and vitamin B12 = highly recommended!  
Some very natural techniques  will help to relax, and help the body to recover. Holistic approach to build up the immune system. Try to follow this twice a day. This works gradually, so allow months to see benefit, but you will notice the effect in days.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close little flap of ears with thumb,place  index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
May 9 ,2012
If she as real bipolar, I know of no natural treatment for it that is proven to work, or that has worked historically.  If it's a new-fangled bipolar diagnosis such as bipolar 2, then of course those drugs won't work because she isn't actually bipolar, they're just selling her pharmaceuticals for a non-condition.  So the first thing to determine is whether she's in fact bipolar, or just diagnosed as such -- this is a much abused diagnosis.  If it's not real bipolar, then you have a universe of options to try because she is "just" suffering from anxiety or depression or the like.  Good luck.