Aneurysm Community
Brain aneurysm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Brain aneurysm

My sister had a ruptured brain aneurysm clipped twice two days ago. When I visited her she was very aggitated and not talking coherently. How long will it take for her to recover?
No two patients will be the same.  I've seen a great range of outcomes while my wife recovered from a similar surgery sixteen years ago.  Progress is measured not daily but by accomplishments over time.  Keep in mind that it is considered a tramatic brain injury (TBI), especially if it was a cranitomy that was performed.   Your sister will need inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation preferably at a facility that specializes in TBI.  If you are in the Northeast US, Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation comes to mind but there are others.  You and her family will need a lot of patience and understanding to help her.  God willing, she will make a dramatic recovery over the coming years.  I've witnessed the miracles given to my wife but they occur over time.

I wish you both well and keep us posted here.  I'll be happy to answer as many questions as I can.  God Bless!
Eddie

My Mom just moved out from the Surgery two days back.Here Doctors have advised us to take  her out on walks which she is now refusing to do. She recognises us but cannot connect relations or remember names. Abstract things are completely out of question now.Her bowel control is still suspect.

She now wants to sleep during the day while doctors suggest that we excercise her(walk her 3-4 times for short distances,keep her awake) in the day to make her sleep at night.

I am afraid if are doing the right thing by cajoling her to walk or make her eat more than she wants to. Any thoughts.
It was ICU and not surgery.Its now 14 days since the bleed and 12 days since surgery.