Alcholism and Paxil.
I recently made a post about starting on Zoloft. After a few days the side effects were so unbearable that I couldn't stand it anymore. I went to see my family doctor, and he said that Paxil might work better for me. To start off, i'm pretty nervous about starting it after the terrible reaction to Zoloft, but in addition, i'm concerned with it's interaction with alcohol.

I would say that I am dependent on alcohol, I have drank large amounts nightly for over a year. I realize that this surely makes my anxiety and depression worse, but it's a problem I don't think I can address immediately. If I start taking Paxil and quit drinking cold turkey, I don't think there is any possible way that it could turn out well. Does anybody have an idea on how I can get help, or what I should do? If I start drinking smaller amounts, so that I don't go into withdrawal would that be safe?

Another concern I have is that by cutting down on drinking I may help solve my anxiety altogether, and the medicine might not be necessary. I don't want to have to deal with quitting paxil and going through withdrawal on that if it turns out I might not have ever needed it. Any help would be great, this has been really weighing on my mind.
The root of your problem seems to be the alcohol.

I would try getting off the alcohol first and see what happens to your anxiety once you are completely and totally sober for many months.

For me, my anxiety began with drug use.  After halting the drug use...HALTING the drug use completely...my anxiety has been GREATLY reduced.  I have hardly any anxiety left.  I fear going on meds as well.  I am very active and in shape, this also helps a lot.

In conclusion, I would try to get off the alcohol COMPLETELY as soon as possible.  After being sober for a while see where you are at.  I bet you will feel a lot better after being sober for a long time...I know thats the case with me.
If you are going to put your effort into anything....drinking would be it.  Because, as long as you are still drinking...you haven't addressed the real problem.....and taking the medication is pretty much pointless.  I mean...it may help a little bit...but it's like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Alcohol is a major depressant.....and adds to anxiety issues BIGTIME for most people.  I know it isn't easy to take that step.....but if you want to fix this problem RIGHT....you have to do what it takes.....and I think you know very well that that is to face your alcohol problem head on.  You are just self-medicating.

Best of luck to you...keep us posted!
Thanks for the advice, and I have to agree with you. I've really been feeling lately that my feeling so ****** lately is my body's way of telling me to change my lifestyle. Last night for example I stopped myself after 2 beers, and today I feel as close to normal as I have in a long while. I appreciate the support, and I'm sure this website will be a major help for me in the difficult days to come.
Don't drink and take Paxil. It makes me go "down" further than I've ever gone before. I used to be a happy drunk but now I'm on Paxil if I have a few I get REALLY depressed and the reaction lasts for about 2-3 days afterwards. Kind of like I dig a hole with each drink and it takes days to climb out.
Please be sure to utilize any of the great resources out there if you need them for alcohol cessation....like AA...ala-non for any friends/family members affected by the drinking, counseling, etc...don't feel you have to do it without help.

There are also some awesome people in the addiction forum here...they truly support one another (same with the alcohol forum).

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.