Anxiety Community
Anesthia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anesthia

Can Anesthia or other enestetics (or what they contain) cause anxiety or chemical imbalance, the reason I ask this is that I never had anxiety attacks or depresion.  I notice though that although I had previous surgeries in the past I started getting a fear of having general anesthia, and its not because it scares me to die or not to wake up, it was this instinct, I can't explain it's like my body telling me not to have it!  I know it's weird but that's what I feel and I actually go into a panic attack crying etc. when I had to have a year and 1/2 ago.  I actually started suffering from panic attacks and depression for a while after that surgery.  I spoke to a anesthialogist which told me that I suffer from a negative euforia instead of a positive euforia which is what most people experience which on certain enestetics.  could you further explain this to me, and what should I request in the future in case of a needed surgery?
Hi, I am glad you posted this comment. I too seem to have some problems. I have have only been under conscious sedation with some nitrous added. I have had problems with nitrous and the dentist office since I was a kid. I worry about being put under in May/having a myomectomy possible hysterectomy. I wonder how this will effect me. I did let my surgeon know about the nitrous problem. This is what they use to put you under initally is 50% nitrous and 50% oxygen. If you find out any more info please let me know. The nitrous makes me combative, restless, uncooperative. Hydrocodone does something similar. It DOES not make me relax like it does most people.

hey3
When I have anesthesia of ANY KIND, whether I get put to sleep or not, I always have a reaction.  Not so much what you guys are speaking about but I always get this weird flashing thing in my eyes afterwards.  
The answer to your question is yes. To be honest, ANYTHING can cause anxiety. And while you say that you are not afraid of the anesthesia, per se, there has got to be something, whether it be conscious or not, that is causing a fear, even if you do not acknowledge it.

It is possible that you did not like the way it felt, which caused anxiety, which caused your brain to create trigger pathways. Now, you may associate the anxiety with the anesthesia and it is therefore not the anesthesia that is causing the anxiety, but the fear of having anxiety which is causing anxiety. This is what causes the "circle of fear" associated with anxiety disorder. Contrary to the sufferers belief in many cases, it is not the "thing" we fear, but rather the fear and panic itself that we fear. That fear of the panic and anxiety leads to actual anxiety and panic, which causes more anxiety and panic, and so on. The way that we can get over this is to break that cycle at any point in time.. Sounds WAY more difficult than it acually is.

I actually had the same thing too. When I got a tooth pulled, my anxiety started kicking in and they gave me nitrous (plus novocaine), at first, the nitrous made me SO much more anxious and panicky but then it subsided. Many people with an underlying anxiety issue do not like to "feel" different than fully conscious (except for when they are sleeping of course). I used to have the occaisional beer or glass of wine, but now I do not even do that anymore because of the way it made me feel a bit "out-of-sorts".

Good Luck

Mike
nursegirl6572 "Patience is the calm accep... Comment
1 hr ago
charlesdee is ... Comment
1 hr ago
JGF25, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status