Anxiety Community
Aniexty and body odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Aniexty and body odor

Help,
With my aniexty I get severe body odor.  I can live with the aniexty and panic, but for 9 years I also suffer with body odor which seem to come with the aniexty.  It is totally ruining my life.  I don't sweat with the disorder but the stronger the aniexty the stronger the odor.  Does anyone else suffer from this.
Tags: Anxiety, Life
That's one I've never heard of.  Have other people mentioned it, or do you just notice it yourself?  Anxiety sufferers are way too in tune with their bodies, so unless others have said so that's a possibility, I guess.

Assuming you bathe daily and stuff, I don't know what to tell you except you should see some sort of doctor about it.  I don't know what kind.  A dermatologist?

Not sure.  Good luck, though.
I really can't smell myself I only know I smell from all the comments people make loudly enough so I can hear.  I've been to many drs. who claim they don't smell any thing.  I am a member  of a body odor support group any many of them say the also suffer from aniexty,  because of the body odor.  So  I can't remember which came first the odor or the aniexty.  Ps I sometime take two bathes aday.
I just had to post...I thought I was the only one with that problem.  It went on for me for about 6 months...I was freaking out.  But I started carrying deodorant with me wherever I went, and every time I got the feeling that I was about to start smellling, I would just run and put some more on.  Eventually it went away.  It still comes and goes sometimes, but that problem is totally mind over matter.  Bizarre!  Trust me...it works.  Good luck.
Thanks 4 the replys, I know what you mean thinking ur the only one.
I figured it had to be something with the mind but I can't seem to stop it know matter what I do.
I have a problem with a fecal odor even after bathing this smell is still present mostly in the rectal area. it all started a few yrs back but before I had no prevoius problems. My mom said that it is all in my head and I am sure believes it to be anxiety although I have heard people make comments indirectly about this and I know I am not imagining these comments, I bathe regularly and do not have poor hygiene this is ruining my life so I sympathize with you tremendously. I have read on this site having this problem unfortuantely the drs answers seem to all say the same stupid thing. so just no you are not alone. and good luck to you I pray you find a solution
Around 7 years ago, I noticed occasional fecal smell from my body and especially from rectum. Later I started having more flatulence along with intermittent constipation. I always felt my stomach was bloated.  Many a days I used to foul smell mixed with the odor of the food I had the previous night. Over the next few months and years it grew up to be more often almost every day and this severely impacted my social and work life.  I avoided people and situations.   Even when I couldn’t feel the smell, people around used to rub their nose or sneeze.  I experience several embarrassing moments and comments from people.  My social anxiety grew even more because of this.  I was very conscious about myself all the time.  The anxiety in fact increased my flatulence and only worsened my situation and feeling. My social life and work life was disturbed extremely from this. I lost being competing in my career. Later I started getting SEVERE growling from my stomach which was embarrassing at work place.  Few years ago a doctor diagnosed as IBS and put me on a prescription medicine and suggested GasX and Metamucil .  That never worked. Last year another Gastroenterologist did some blood work and said all the flatulence and the smell was from Bacteria overgrowth and put me on Xifaxan 200 mg once a day for 2 weeks ($100 for 2 weeks without insurance coverage).  It worked in the sense it stopped the smell and the flatulence to almost 90% but I always had a bloated stomach.  The doc then suggested taking the medicine 2 weeks every 3 months. Whenever I stopped the medicine, all the symptoms would re-occur.  

After being pushed to the extreme, I was determined to find a solution to my problems.  From observing my own food and lifestyle, and my web research, I began to believe many of the symptoms were related to digestion and stool problems.  As part of working on a solution for my problems, I started taking Papaya every night after dinner and before going to bed.  It greatly helped with my stools and the smell.  But people around me were still reacting strongly by rubbing around their nose and sneezing.  It also increased frequency of my stools in the morning. Finding, cutting the papaya and the cost were the downsides of this process and couldn’t stay committed with it. Encouraged with the improvement from the Papaya diet, my belief that everything I was experiencing was related to diet, digestion, stools and lifestyle got stronger.  So I decided to go on a diet that would help me with proper digestion and stools.  Here is what I have been following for the past few weeks and have had extremely great success.  I feel like I am my life back again.  

1. Used to take a lot of alcohol.  Completely stopped the alcohol
2. Used to take a lot of non-vegetarian.  Reduced to a day or two per week.
3. Used to take a plenty of chips and other snacks.  Reduced drastically.
4. Used to eat almost out everyday from fast foods.  Reduced drastically.
5. Used to sleep less.  Increased my sleep time.
6. Used to eat filling my stomach excessively.  I reduced to half or ¾ of my stomach and fill the rest with water.
7. Used to drink a glass of black coffee sometimes with cream that increased the stomach growling. I completely stopped taking black coffee.
8. Used to have pizza frequently and in big quantities.  The next day I would feel like a nuclear reaction was happening inside of my stomach.  Would generate lot of gas and growling.  So reduced pizza and cheese to a great extent.
9. After waking up and the next thing after I brush my teeth I drink 1 liter of water.
10. Later drink a glass of milk and may be a banana
11. After that for the drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
12. Used to go to bed shortly after having dinner.  Now I am giving a gap of at-least 3 hours before going to bed
13. Most importantly I drink a glass of Prune juice before going to bed every day. This was to replace the Papaya effect and the usage issues with the papaya.  Drinking the prune juice in the morning only increased my stomach growling and frequent loose stools.

These changes in my food and life style have eliminated all the symptoms I have been experiencing almost 100%. I don’t sense the smell and have been observing that people are not rubbing their nose or sneezing anymore. I do get the symptoms back when I violate my own code like eating more or something like that.
Its been a month and a half since started this and I am now getting back on my social and work life gradually. I can understand the feeling of other who experience similar problems and situations as mine.  I hope this will help at-least a few.
My sister found this forum for me, becuase I have a son who has this  problem.  He smells of fectual matter when he's in an environment he's not used to.  He's 10 and this has been going on since he was 5.  He's getting to an age that kids are being pretty cruel.  I thought about putting him on anti anxeity matter, to see if that helps.  I like the comment about changing the diet from I wantmyownlife.  It that truly helped than I'm willing to try it.  It's a sweet kid, I just hate that he'll be remembered as the stinky kid in school.  Does anyone else have any suggestions for my son???
I've done considerable lay research on this topic, so here's what I can offer.

First, you may have inherited naturally overactive apocrine sweat glands in your underarms. Apocrine secretions are odorless, but when naturally-present microbes feed off these secretions, they release a malodorous metabolic byproduct. What compounds the problem is your anxiety, which creates a feedback loop resulting in increased perspiration, higher localized skin temperature, greater smell, and on and on. The end result is the perfect storm for odor, as microbes love warm, humid areas, and you have conditioned yourself to be hypersensitive to peoples' negative evaluations.

First, consider getting a prescription antiperspirant. These are about 4 to 5 times stronger than the off-the-shelf type.

Second, start doing guided imagery/meditation/yoga *twice* daily, which will slowly retrain your sympathetic nervous system not to overreact to stressors. Doing this twice daily (20 minutes each) is important.

Third, you need in-vivo exposure therapy--basically, a therapist or friend who can help you face stressful environments without you freaking out. You have to work your way up a pyramid of fear-inducing settings, from minor to major. For a good read, check out Jerilyn Ross' book, "Triumph Over Fear."

Fourth, it's a good idea to avoid spicy, pungent foods, to exercise frequently, and to practice good hygiene.

My best guess as to why people sneeze and such around you, is that when you're highly anxious, your increased respiration essentially aerosolizes and intensifies the scents in your antiperspirant (even if "unscented"), thus basically surrounding you with an invisible cloud of allergens. The technical people at the Monell Center in Philadelphia about 10 years ago released a study indicating that we all have an invisible cloud, if you will, surrounding us, composed of microscopic skin particles, dust, fragrances, etc. Yours probably is stronger, and people react with the symptoms you describe. A respected, U of Penn. dermatologist told me about 10 years ago that some people's body chemistry sometimes reacts with antiperspirants such that it creates a very dilute hydrochloric acid--itself an allergic.

A last observation: When you mention your symptoms, people will read their own symptoms into it. You did not mention fecal odors. Other posters did. I have no information on the latter. But the key to your issue is to learn how to relax your hypervigilant mind and hyperaroused body, and perhaps find a cognitive-behavioral therapist who can work on your social discomfort.

I too get the underarm odor with panic attacks.  I brought this up to my doctor, and he assured me that I am only smelling the adrenaline.  It's like when you work out and get your adrenaline pumping and sweat flowing you'll experience underarm odor, but when you sweat on hot days, with low activity, you barely have an odor.  It made so much sense to me, and I stopped worrying about it.  Hope this helps!

Cori
As you can see, you are not alone. This falls into the category of "you'll have that," but the advice from Want to Regain seems good to me. Perhaps more than any other area of anxiety, the fragrance factor is one which is often solved with home and folk remedies. My favorite is parsley. Believe it or not, parsley is a key ingredient of some breath fresheners, so munch a bunch and see (or smell) what it does for you.

By the way, why not JOIN this group (instructions follow) and continue to report to us what you discover. Bad enough that we should have panic -worse that we should clear the room when we walk in. I think your experience will be very valuable to others.

Here's how to join: just click the Join Link -enter some profile information about yourself -even a picture if you care to- and anything you think would help us get to know you faster and better, and you can change this material whenever you like. You will also be accessible to receive private messages when other members click the name you've given yourself -sort of a "push to talk" feature. After you've done that, spend some time just using various features of the forum. For example, to see all the posts or responses that someone has made, just click their handle, go to their profile, click Posts, and read to your heart's content. You may also enter search terms -including member names- in the search box at the upper right of your screen and the system will retrun everything matching the term(s) you entered. This INCLUDES a drug database that will give you both user posts about drugs as well as the medical information about the drug. A great way to get quick answers about therapeutic effect, side effects, interactions, etc.

One of the profile categories is your mood, which you may change anytime you like.

Along the right side of your screen is a section of Recent Activity, which not only alerts you to new posts, but new ANYTHING, including journal entries and mood. This is a way to telegraph the community at large without actually creating a separate post. Thus, if you see a friend's mood has changed while you are working on a response or post, it can alert you to send them a private message to learn more or simply let them know you're thinking of them. Likewise, if you are going to be "out," you could enter something like "off line for the night" as your mood, and people would know you're away from the forum for awhile.

"My Medhelp" is where you'll find all the features you can deploy: messaging, lists of friends, photos, etc.

If you do this kind of exploring and experimenting right away, you'll be up-to-speed quickly. If you see the message you are reading now as part of a direct response I (or anyone) has made to one of your posts, it was probably copied and pasted from this journal. I hate form letters and auto-responses as much as anyone -but I also hate forgetting to tell people what they need to know, so this is my safety-net. Consider it as part of your "Welcome" kit. So -please join and try things out.

You might also want to read my entries for the "Right Click Trick" and "When in Haste, Use Copy 'n Paste" for some other convenient time-savers.

We're glad you are here!
Anxiety totally ruined my life! When i hit my puberty, i could smell this offensive odor coming from my armpit... i tried many kinds of deodorants to cover it. Since i was constantly worried about whether other people could smell me and what would they think of me, i developed moderate anxiety disorder. However, all the family physicians and dermotologists that i went to told me that i don't have b.o. problem that they can't sense anything from me... which is driving me nuts! Though none of my friends have said anything to me, i could tell that ppl around me are suffering from my b.o. (they sniff and rub their noses and look disgusted). i dont know why the doctors can't detect anything... maybe they simply don't care cuz it's obviously not a life-threatening illness and doesn't deserve to be treated seriously?
After second year of unversity, the offensive odour from my armpit disappeared; however, the anxiety disorder persisted... i get nervous very easily and when i'm nervous my body produces some sort of fecal smell from my upper chest and back, this has never happened before... i have no idea what the cause is for that and how to cure it.
so b.o. caused anxiety, and after b.o. was gone, anxiety causes b.o. seems like i'm going to live with these two problems for the rest of my life... how depressing...
this really works-Secret Clinical Strength Deodorant (it's sold in drugstores) there are other brands available, but I haven't tried them.
Im not pinpointing anyone with this but, If you dont take a shower twice a day that could explain why you'd smell like *** also. And i mean that in a serious way. I'v known guys that thought it was normal to shower once a week. Not cool if your expecting to smell clean.  
I have been struggling with this isssue of bodor odor since the beggining of middle school . I too have been teased , "like the lady said about her 10 year old son , kids can be cruel. "I remeber recieving indirect comments on things like : its musty , someone needs to bath, it stinks . I have had teacher's and students approach me about it . I reply with more anxiety than I did when i had the odor from their responses . I would tell them I have tried every kind of deodarant , and I bath more than most people . Yet when i get approached most people are quick to say that it is a matter of not bathing . This angers and hurts me deeply. I am now in college at Cal State Dominguez Hills. College should be an exciting time , meeting new people , new challeging subjects , me growing as a person. Yet I feel trapped by my bo issue . Because of this I never stand or sit close to people -even close friends for fear of having this problem . I recently particpated in a group discussion in Philosophy class . When it came for my part of the discussion even though i memorized and practiced the material , and knew it pretty well, I stumbled on most of the words,I sweated profusly , i think I emmited my bo from my anxiety . So I ran to the bathroom and freshened up becuase I thought I was having this problem after the presentation . Today even though class is over I can't help thinking about what happened . I talked to my mom about my concern , and she doesn't know what to say , she is so upset, she sees that it is over taking my life . For two reasons . Socially I do not be more open becuase of my fear of offending people with my bo, and secondly i bath myself raw . I constanly take three or more showers a day and in between i wash up with baby wipes . It is honestly taking over my immediate life-emotionally, and socially. I sometimes say if i had one wish it would be for my anxiety and my bo to go away , not even over money and riches . Just this ! I cry at night I think about it from morning till I sleep. Because of this as a College freshman I have not made many friends in the four weeks I have been here . I have had anxiety on my recent midterm , earning me a failing grade -even though I studied and new the material -My mind went blank with test anxiety . Finally I do not want to go the rest of my life worrying about this . Constanlty bathing myself raw, and not sitting close to people , or not being more sociable because of my fear of anxiety or my bo .I want to date , but I fear to becuase of these issues .  I do not want to offend him on my first date because of my anxiety and the accompanying bo. It is trully a life burden .
Hi Jessica, I really feel for you and can identify with your situation. I too have suffered from extreme sweating due to anxiety. I also thought I would never find a solution to this problem but a few months ago I was prescribed a special anti-perspirant by my doctor. You put it on at night then wash it off the next morning and hey presto!....no more sweating. Trust me on this, it really does work. I would never have believed it if I hadn't had first hand experience. Also, the more you use it, the less often it needs to be applied. I only apply it once a week now and I stay perfectly dry. I am sure there are many brands out there but the one I use is called 'Driclor'. Give it a try, I promise you it will work. Best of luck Jessica!
I really feel what your all feeling. I don't have bad BO, barely any at all, actually, but I do know I have more than others. I also think it is partly because of anxiety and my diet - even though I don't eat that many bad foods. I sweat at school - and never at home, it was a really puzzling situation but I did have a hint it was my nervousness and self-conciousness. I haven't tried barely any deoderants yet, but I have made up my mind that I will switch to natural. Aluminums can pick up the odour and are very bad for you if used for a long period of time. There are many other ingredients that you should watch out for, like parabens and glycols. Please I advise you to switch to natural. :) When you put on a deoderant you know your not contaminating youself with various chemicals. I google searched and found an article on natural deoderants that are safe.
Here is the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21208797/

I would suggest trying Doctor Hauschka or Weleda - also Burts Bees deoderant sounds effective. I haven't tried any of these deoderants but will be trying Doctor Hauschka Floral. I hope so much that this helps, and remember, you are NOT the only ones out there feeling this way. I have deep sympathy for those of you like Jessica who feel it is getting to the point where it is leading your life. I would feel the same way.
i have read ur comments. one thing u people r not considering and i am suffering too is the smell with effects others is high level of harmons which released with breathing and irritate others and cause them to sneezing etc.
I could not got any better suggestion but if any one has then let me know.
First thing is that as anxiety starts, the brain issues signal (chemicals) for the heart to beat faster. If anxiety lasts long, the harmons level remain very high. This heart specific harmon is volatile. As its levels become high, it is also spread in your room effecting other person's anxiety sensitive sensors located in nose.

Other people think that it is smell of smoke but it is actually my high level of hormons which also cause high heart beat.
This also initiates high level of enzymes released in stomach which cause bad smell
people to help me can contact me at ***@****
I get the same thing, if I sweat, no odor.  If I get anxious I get a really bad smell, like onions, in my armpits, mainly the left one.  

But again, no sweat, just smell.

Very strange!  But you aren't the only one. When you feel the anxiety coming, try to focus on staying calm and smile.  It helps.
I use the high strength otc anti-persperants and they've stopped the wet patches completely.  I shower every morning with a anti-bacterial soap. But whenever I come out of meeting, my armpits stink! (I haven't even realised I've been anxious but I do suffer with anxiety and sweat only in these situations before I started using the high strength anti-persp), I use alcohol handwash on them straight away but usually it's spread onto my clothes by then and nothing masks it. I overheard people at work talking about my smell, people I thought were close friends and I wanted to never face them again.  i struggle to look at them now as I know they're thinking that I don't wash or wear clean clothes but that's not true.

When I use the high strength anti-persp they make me itchy down below which I think is sweat related.  I asked my asthma nurse if the meds could cause it, she laughed and said she'd never heard that one.  No-one wants to know and I can't turn to anyone as I think I'd lose their respect.  I am miserable and slowly withdrawing from my friends.
I also have a terrible anxiety problem and B.O problem. Sometimes I feel like jumping off of a building. I left a great university. I gave up all forms of a social life because I just hate having people smell me, rub their noses, etc. It's just too much. When I went to the doctor and he did blood work, he said he found nothing. I was on anti-anxiety meds, but my insurance expired. I plan to get back on them though. They do not help all the time, but they do help sometimes.

My sweating and odor mostly occurs in the groin area. Before you ask, I bathe daily, and I do not have a venereal or sexually transmitted disease. I'm a virgin for the obvious reasons that I can't get even get close to a guy.

I just feel so hopeless sometimes. I have tried chlorophyll, deodarants....and just everything. I plan on getting some therapy soon because I think I might just put an end to everything. I am so unhappy and depressed. I can barely have a social life. This problem has affected me in so many ways. I gave up everything I had. I was going to one of the best universities in the country, but after my freshman year, I basically had no friends, I was severely depressed because of my anxiety, and everything in my life went downhill.

Doctors are not much help because when you go to them, they tell you that nothing is wrong. I'm just exhausted now. All I ever wanted in my life was to go to college, meet people, and be a normal 20 something year old young woman. I graduated at the top of my class in high school and now I'm resigned to just going to school online and not meeting anyone.
I also suffer to this cursed odor. 5 years ago I consulted a doctor and prescribed me one thing - DRICLOR. It's a roll-on specially formulated to reduce excessive sweating. It's effective for me for at least one week. I stopped putting it on because there was a painful effect when I applied it. But like I said, it worked! My underarm became super dry that I didn't have to put on a deo.
After a week, the sweat returned, 'till now. I just let it happen.

Try it. Hope it works for you guys.
I feel for you guys, I have been having this smell stuff for years, and It felt like there was nothing to do about it, and the more I tried the worse it got, but finally I have been having some success in this,

I have been doing chi gong- the 6 healing sounds and its healing my body and mind, as well as meditation and exercising (good to sweat out the toxins regularly) and it makes you feel better to! strengthens the breathing which also is one key factor, the oxygen supply to the brain is more balanced than my anxious breathing patterns.

I've also been cleaning out my stomach and eating healthy, see previous posting (no fast foods and alcohol and sweets etc) It could be a part of candida.

No deodorants and perfumes in the world would mask the smell....it was horrendous...but now finally it's getting better, sometimes it occurs but not everyday and all the time that is used to. There is hope, just keep trying different solutions and something will work for you too.
I have the same dam problem and it all started when I was in High School and the kids were so dam cruel. They would hold their noses, move away from me, and cough and clear their throats once I came in the room, and they would make these disgusting faces, crack jokes,etc. I was so scared about this body odor problem I would take deodorant to school and run in the bathroom to cake it on if I thought I was offending anyone, but it didn't matter it would not go away. For 10 years this would be my life, when I told my parents they thought I was crazy when I went to the doctor like a lot of you they said nothing was wrong. I was about to give it all up, when I realized that this is something that I am going to have to conquer or deal with so I can make something out of my dam self body odor or not, I knew it wasn't my fault and people fear and ridicule what they don't understand. While I still to this day have this body odor problem I know it comes from anxiety and just thinking that I smell bad. I plan to get counseling, and I am on medication and Xanax which helps a little bit. I notice it feels good to talk about it either to myself or to people who understand which would be you guys. I thought I was the only one and I really felt alone, but after hearing you guys stories I know that I am not and that feel good also. I am in college and failed a couple of semesters because of this problem, but I am bouncing back and I am trying to remain positive, but it still hurts that I know that society wont except me the way I am, that that beautiful girl might run away from me when I approach her, but you know what guys its going to get better I promise just stay strong and go out there no matter what and just try and live your life..... I am doing it and I am not going to stop until I get my degree and live the life just like everybody else we deserve it. Stay strong my friends and remember as I found out just today you are not alone. feel free to hit me up at charle198128@yahoo,com and well chat if you want.
I have been reading all of these posts. I have high anxiety, am on an antidepressant, see a Dialectical Behavior Therapist each week, and I experience body odor specific to stressful situations as well. Something I have noticed is, a few weeks into taking the antidepressant, I no longer felt the urge to smoke, and quit smoking. Suddenly, my body had no odor even in stressful situations! Has anyone ever considered that maybe things like smoking, drugs, and alcohol might affect our natural body scents? I wonder about this.
I want to say, also, that I believe the chemical in antiperspirant (aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly) Clogs up the sweat glands, making it almost impossible fr te body to release toxins and cool itself... And clogging up the sweat glands in the underarm area has been linked to Breast Cancer in men and women.... We are mammals, we are supposed to sweat! Try natural deodorant instead, like Tom's, which naturally deodorizes, and sweat like a mammal should!!
Back when I was 15/16 I as well noticed that I had a bad body odor. I never been able to smell it myself, but I know from comments that I smell bad. This has lead me to have anxiety/panic attacks in class, and also has lead me to live a much more isolated life. I am now 22 and I hadnt heard any comments about it for a while. A couple of months ago I was out drinking and several comments was mentioned, bringing me back to "good old times". During the last years I guess there has only been a couple of comments a year. I dont know whether or not I smell anymore, or if its those comments have been cause of other stuff (perhaps having a bad smell day...). I guess I dont get so many comments about it cause I live such an isolated/routine life (due to the body odor). All I know is it has affected my life greatly and I would just love to know if I smell or not; if so, what to do about it. Never asked the doctor cause I guess I felt to ashamed or something. Oh yeah...I am not comfortable about new social settings because of it...
I have an anxiety disorder - mainly OCD and social anxiety for which I am on medication and in therapy. I really empathise with all of you, because despite showering regularly, using deodorant, wearing clean clothes etc, I find myself smelling when I get anxious, which in turn makes me self-conscious and more anxious. The smell comes from my arm pits, but I also notice that when I am very stressed, I start to get abnormal vaginal discharge which smells horrible! Like several people above, I also worry people think it is due to a lack of personal care.

However, sweating is a normal response to a frightening or stressful situation, so I think if you experience high levels of anxiety it is normal to sweat and therefore smell more quickly than other people. Excessive stress can also lead to bacterial vaginosis and there are gels you can buy which can help and are effective for the latter...you can get them from your local pharmacy.

It's easier said than done, but don't give yourself a hard time...it's not your fault. Try to address the anxiety with therapy if appropriate, relaxation and breathing exercises, meditation, yoga etc. Recognise triggers for anxiety and work on those. When you are beginning to get anxious take a breather. There are some great suggestions in the posts above. I think I might give a really high strength anti-persp deodrant a try, until I get my anxiety problems sorted!
Put it in gods hands i had the same problem and after a asked god to help me out he did i dont have the problem anymore and my mind is not focused on it anymore i know how bad it ***** and just pray cuz god does hear us we just have to keep our faith in him and he will answer ur prayer good luck brother pray hard :)
how can i stop anxiety which is making me smell please email me at ***@**** for any advice
I have STOPPED using "deodorants" at all!! Yes, i've had the no you don't smell to the "dude, is that me?" reactions. I am a male and I use female anti-antiperspirant under these brands "Suave" or "Secret" thats ONLY lightly scented. ie: Powder, Shower Fresh and so on.

IMPORTANT: I have Irish bloodline from my dad's side and am very susceptible to harsh body odors. The Men's Deodorant's do NOT stop sweating and actually MIX with the sweaty bad body odors. With the ladies anti-antiperspirant I do not really sweat and if I do its not that bad. I use it on my underarms and my chest area. I also put a dab of GOOD Cologne on everyday.

I haven't had a issue in 15 years. I also use a Big Scuff Ball instead of wash clothes during bathing or showering. It scrubs the dead skin and odors away. Also I wash and scrub my feet too. Having Irish in me and if I neglect or skip ANY of these steps. I will or others will notice! Well I hope I helped the readers.
First of all, let me say that i am a recovering "body odor" anxiety sufferer. I am currently 30 yrs old, and have only been anxiety free from body odor for about 5 years. It started around 7th grade, with a small comment from a family member stating that i smelled. It was a downward spiral from there, which made high-school a living hell. I was convinced that i had body odor all day, every day after small amounts of sweating. It would only take me overhearing someone mention the words like "smell, stink, odor, etc" that would send me into a reclusive, introverted state. I assumed everyone thought i smelled. This anxiety only caused me to sweat more. I am by nature an extremly outgoing, and friendly person. However, anyone (outside of immediate family) who knew me back in the day would have told you i was a loner, loser, and very strange.
Currently, i own a business with 45 employees, which requires me to be very up close and personal with people on a daily basis.
Let me say this.....
I have no idea to what extent or severity of an odor that my body produces when i sweat. All i can say, is that now that i have conquered the fear of smelling, whatever smell i project doesnt seem to bother anyone as bad as i thought.
I think our minds start to go into warp speed when it comes to this disorder. Thats right, i said disorder.
This is how i got over it.......
I went on vacation to the beach for a week when i was 18. While there, i met about 8 other individuals who were there on vacation as well hanging out on the beach. I decided at that point that since i was 400 miles from home, and i would probably never see these people again, i would just be myself and get to know them, and just forget about body odor regardless of how offended they were by the way i smelled.
We all hit it off, and suddenly it occured to me that nobody was offended by my body odor. I started getting closer to people, and by closer i mean the space between how far i stand from them. Where before, a yard space between me and a person felt like inches, i suddenlu didnt care anymore. I left that trip with the conclusion that most of this body odor thing was in my mind. Sure, i may have had body odor, that is totally possible. I still to this day dont know if it was all in my head, or if my body put off a distinct odor when i got nervous. All i know is, the way you handle this disorder is contageous.
What i mean is...... If you continue to accept the fact that you smell, and that this smell offends everyone, you will continually get worse.
However, if you can find it inside of you somewhere, just to let go, and not care, if even for a weekend, i think that you will find that the results will be contageous in a positive way.
Sorry for the novel, but i just wanted to offer some encouragement. You can beat this. And the best way to do it is to just let go. Easier said than done, i know. It took me most of my life to beat it. Now, im well known in the community, and love to socialize.
             All of your ideas work. When I learned that sweat itself is odorless,( that the bacteria on skin causes the odor)  I realized I needed to change certain things.  I cut back on spices like cumin, curry and garlic.I shave and/or wax all body hair.  I started using antibacterial liquid soap to shower.And most important, BEFORE applying anti-perspirant/deodorant I spread a thin film of Neosporin or any triple antibiotic on both armpits, small of the back,and private parts. Worked like a charm. I still get a lil nervous about people getting to close to me, but I KNOW I don't reek or smell bad anymore. Hope this helps and works for you!
has anyone tried using apple cider vinegar on the skin before taking a shower?(10-15mins once a week)

they say it returns the natural acidity of your skins,ph balance, killing BO.

I've had BO problems since i was in high school,nothing worked. But this year has been the worst, giving me bouts of depression and anger, and asking myself why i am suffering from this. I really need some solution to this as i am losing hope..

**ive tried everything from chlorophyll, activated carbon, various deodorants,anti bacterial soaps,etc

Hey everyone,

I'm 33 yrs old and I am also one who falls victim to this. I'm writing ehre in hopes that someone will read it and shed some light in my situation. Although I have not yet been clinically diagnosed I get anxious around people because of a fear that i smell. My best of friends try to reassure me that I don't but I'm lead to think one of two things. 1) they're hiding the truth from me, 2) they're used to my smell. How could I think this way with my friends?

For about two years now when I'm around strangers I've been paying attention to the way people react after they look at me when standing close enough. I get more reactions to pay attention to when I speak. As some mention here, there are the varieties of touching their nose. What gets me most is when people actually say stuff like "smells like bathroom in here" or "what's that god awful smell?" when i'm just 2-5 feet away. As people approach me in as I stand in crowded areas, I'll notice people look right at me as if they can tell even in a sea of people that i'm the culprit of a nearby odor. Like many here I shower every morning before I leave the house and once more before I go to bed. The people I ask continue to tell me they don't smell anything. Yet the other reactions I watch out for continue.

"It's all in the mind" my friends insist. And after reading your comments I realized something that's been playing in my mind -- that there's a vicious circle with anxiety of B.O and B.O. itself. If anxiety triggers B.O. and bad odor is what you're concerned with in social situations, you're bound to have it. The only way to avoid it is to not think about it, right?

I definitely try not to think about it sometimes and most of the time I'm successful. Friends reassurance + shower / brush teeth before I leave the house have me thinking there's nothing to worry about and anything I notice should be coincidence and warrant no explanations. I'm a man of many artistic talents so I really have a lot to be confident about. I'm even a lead singer of a band. We're great. People love us. Unfortunately still, my walls get chipped at the sight of every nose twitch and my world turns upside-down the second someone says "what's that smell?"

I exercise regularly so i know it's not that. I don't drink alcohol often. My diet is quite good and consistent. I can only get stronger by continuing to not care what people think but sometimes I can't help it. But now i feel it's my only choice besides medication which I absolutely refuse.

So that's my story. Thanks for reading.
Please don't trivialize matters which you know nothing about.  I have had this problem for two years now.  I've taken two tub baths a day for a year, to no avail.  I've also switched to taking 3, sometimes  4 showers per day, which still didn't solve the problem.  I believe North American Man has it right.  I work with people who make me extremely uncomfortable (catty, petty,  'constantly in your personal space to see what they can detect' gossipy types).  That perpetuates my anxiety.  That nervous anxiety, maximized by warm skin (sometimes hot skin), causes serious problems for me. . .Problems a simple solution such as bathing more frequently can't /hasn't solved.  So, on behsalf of those like myself who struggle with this embarassing, self-esteem deflating problem, please refrain from speaking on matters in which you know absolutely nothing about.  I used to feel like a pitiful victim with this bizarre illness, but now I'm just angry.  When I read comments and questions from people who need so much help, and they receive comments like yours, I have to stand up for them.  Like many, resorting to online research for solutions is not our first stop.  It's usually what we resort to after we've exhausted all other means of assistance.  We decide to 'practice medicine' so to speak, and do our own research.  I've been to countless Doctors, Specialists, Therapist, dietician, even tried an acupuncturist. . .to no avail.  So, show some respect for the trials that others face even if you don't understand them.  The next trial may be your own.
P.S.  To add insult to injury, it's always great when you're told one of your illnesses, a byproduct of anxiety,  has been excluded from your insurance plan by your company. . .NICE.
Yea im 20 and im also going through this situation, its embarassing because the students inschool would rub there noses n whenever they sniffed in they would make the weirdest faces. I would always get negative comments like, "this kid stinks", "what's that smell", "dont get to close to him he smells like S***", and they would all laugh. Sometimes I would ask myself, why am i Still even living? But you know what im just tired of all of this, im going to start wit a new life. Just to let everybody know I take 2-4 showers a day, and put on deodarant, cologne or body spray, and I would still get the people rub there noses or make the weirdest faces. IM JUST TIRED OF IT, I WANA MEET PEOPLE AND BE SOCIAL!!!!! but I cant because i would just get a negative comment about me smelling the whole place up. :,(
We all are suffering from the same psychological disorder and I´m surprised that no one has mentioned the name so far. It´s called "Olfactory Reference Syndrome" and 'yes folks, it´s all in our mind'.
The solution is going to a psychologist and starting therapy (cognitive-behavioral or CBT) and definitely is not avoiding social situations.
Doing obsessive rituals (showering, applying deodorants, seeking reassurance...) takes your life away.
I´m still a sufferer to this day, but what I know is that my 'odor thoughts' are triggered in situations that give me anxiety and that´s what I´ve been addressing; the anxiety and not the body odor itself ofcourse maintaining normal hygiene. Now I have a normal social life thanks to professional help and my motivation to get my life back.
You can do it too. Once more, the problem is the anxiety and not the body odor.  
i have this problem 3 month's ago.. i'm a freshman in college.. yeah its must be excting , and enjoyable but there's a ground breaking happen.. first month of school i did'nt feel anything about this problem.. but when midterm is approaching , i observe something on my seatmates. every morning in the classroom (psychology class) i observe that my seatmate is always touching their nose.. and my sitting position is in row 1.. at first i did not think that it was my bo.. then a couple of days i observe that from row 2 they sneeze.. making weird faces!! i was very nervous of that. a weeks passed by i did not entertained that.. i observe to different places that i've been in school not only in classroom to verify my suspition. i found out that when i'm standing outside the campus waiting for a car.. i see people far away from me toucing their nose, sneeze and disgusted faces.. that day i consult my bestfriend and she said she dont smell anything then i was rejoice.. there's a time that we need to enter to the speech lab.. it was airconditioned.. that time i was late. when i entered the room.. my classmates gone wild in the speech laboratory..they said("stinks!, hey bo revolution!, "what a smell") that day my life sink.. i was thinking i did'nt do anything.. i take bathe 2 times a day ,, when weekends 3 times.. until now i suffer from this bo.. i consult my mother.. and my mother checks my clothes.. she smell it most especially my underarm.. my mother said: " theres no bad smell.. she said to me i was so very paranoid on thinking that.. when i read your comments i understand now.. huhu the latest news from me is that i fail major subject.. my bestfriend did not talk to me at all :(( and i'm still living with fear in social interaction with people.. most especially in crowded people.. i tried a lot of deo-antiperspirant, natural remedies like lemon, vinegar, baking soda and etc.. none of them work,,. I'M STILL HOPING TO REGAIN MY NORMAL LIFE.....
Hello!
After reading many of the comments I find that I'm not alone with these terrible problems, anxiety and B.O. I have tried every deodorant and antiperspirant, but nothing worked. One day I stumbled across a video on youtube, and it has been life-changing. At first I didn't believe it at all, a guy who said he could sweat as much he wanted and not get any odor, that he didn't even need a deodorant. This he had made through a drastic change in his diet; he had become a fruitarian.

A fruitarian is someone who just eats raw (preferably organic) fruits and vegetables. (Occasionally some nuts). This first seemed completely crazy to me, but I gave it a try. After only a few days on the diet, i noticed a reduce in body odor. It would come and go a little, some days I had no odor, other days a quite strong one. When the body produces an odor, it is because it is trying to get rid of toxins; body odor is actually the smell of your body detoxifying. When you stop eating toxins, you stop smelling. Of course, this takes time, and the odor won't be gone for several months after adapting to a fruitarian lifestyle. But it will eventually completely disappear! :)

This is no easy task. I think it has been the hardest change I have ever made in my entire life. I took i gradually, and went on and off several times. But if you are persistent and don't give up, this will change your life. This diet won't only help with odor. It also helps with anxiety and other mental disorders, it gives you tremendous amounts of energy and vitality, an immune system that will fight off nearly all sickness and a happy mood nearly always. As said before, this is not easy. If you want to try this, it is a good thing to take it gradually, or fast a couple of days before starting. A good thing to start with is to have some meals a day that is only fruit, and making the meals with other foodstuffs less frequent and in smaller amounts. Another good thing to know is that the biggest sources of B.O. is meat, cheese, dairy and eggs. In my transition period, I ate a vegan diet when I didn't eat fruit. This also really helps.

So good luck, I know exactly how terrible it is to be in your situation, where anxiety contributes to body odor, and body odor contributes to anxiety. Please give this a try. You won't regret it. :)
No, sorry, you're wrong
No, sorry, you're wrong
The underlying problem here to most of your cases of bad body odor is stress caused by anxiety or other causes..Therefore the most effective way to eliminate  this problem completely is to attack the stress problem not hide behind it with doedorant.Remember before you had this problem, remember those pleasant natural smells of yours. These present odors are not natural, and neither is stress. Stress is created by you. Noone else but yourself. This stress comes from negative emotions which come from thoughts you choose to have (even though you do not want or like these thoughts). So what needs to be done is to change these thought that bring about these negative emotions. Think in more self enhancing ways. Because when you really think about it it is an utter waste of time applying any amount of your energy to stressful thoughts and not doing the things in life you want to because of its effects (bad body odor amongst other things). you could die in two weeks, why not think in a positive way and live happy until the inevitable than think self defeating thought and live unhappy. These thoughts have nothing to do with YOU and these problems are just conditions that can be overcome. Just be aware of the undesirable thoughts that brings you the stress in your life and think differently about it and with a lot of practice you will be free off unwanted thoughts that bring about these stressful responses and in effect eradicating this bad odor problem. Hey, its your mind you can chose to either take control of it or allow yourself to think these 'stinking' and useless thoughts that bring about these horrible feelings. Its up to you.
I just wrote a whole discription and it didnt post so I will try to reiterate my plight. I am older than most of you that have posted concerns. My question is regarding diagnosis by what type of dr. I am a suffer as well but in my case it's intermitten. I will get stressed out and begin to emit a foul odor. I've been to my primary care dr, as well as 2 gyno. Bloodtest normal I'm on no medications. I even stopped taking my vitamins after this last incident, which was this week. I figured i would try to just give my system a rest. It started for me I would  say about 3 yrs ago...but not everyday. It's so weird because I too hear comments like what's that smell , it's like I'm rotting on the inside. My drs say I'm normal...my spouse says I don't smell..it's mainly at when I'm stressed at work and then it goes away. I don't think it's the olfactory blah blah blah ..if that was the case I'd try to think money bags to make that appear(haha)..anyway I just really want some guidance ...walking into a hospital and saying I'm here because sometimes I smell weird sounds like I'm crazy...it's a real anxiety problem as a whole and worse because I don't know when it's going to happen. ..other things I noticed was my perfume not working even on normal days......please help .......this situation is a hard one to bear..it's not only an affliction that you deal with medically but socially... I'm begining to feel like a hermit ~this *****!
The same exact thing happens to me Stressedout 2013!  I have never had any medical issues other than I'm low in iron. I was taking a multivitamin every day & was fine.  About 3 months ago..just about when I seemed to get a sinus/ear infection, I started emitting an odor.  I don't excessively sweat but I have noticed now, when I'm at work, once I get stressed, I smell even more & then It gets worse if someone comes by me because I know they must smell me because I smell myself.  I stopped taking the iron & the muti-vitamin, try to eat more fruit & vegs/day, only drink no caffeine beverages, don't eat alot of fast food as I thought maybe that's what was doing it even thought I've been taking the same muti-vitamin for 2 years now.  My primary did blood work, urine test & my gyno tested & did cultures too.  Everything came back normal.  I don't drink, don't smoke or do drugs. Primary says probably peri-menopausal & nothing I can do about it.  I take 2-3 showers a day w/antibacterial soap & Vagisil PH balance wash all over...it helps slightly but an hour or two later... starts again.  Started taking Re-Phresh pro-biotic supplement ($28 for 30 days worth) worked ~98% for ~3 weeks!... I thought it was my answer.  Now, back to smelling again even though still taking Re-Phresh. I dont know how much longer I can deal with this.  I don't want to be out around people & staying in after work & being a hermit..not going anywhere if it's not necessary.   Can anyone offer some help to me please??
P.S.... it seems to be emitting from my pores...skin...  not from my underarms
Have you still been experiencing anymore symptoms? It's been an issue for me every now and again .... I can't take that my perfumes doesn't  even work besides my coworkers asking loudly what's that smell?  Me  stressing out even more. I have plans to go to an endocrinologist soon. My insurance is changing so I have to wait for that to kick the next  dr I plan on seeing is a colon specialist someone wrote that it could be a fistula ? I just can't wait to have an answer because nothing is worse than you dealing with an odor problem and not being able to remedy the problem with  showers.
Tocldja Well I'm feeling better it'... Comment
1 hr ago
englishborn commented on A very inspiring colu...
1 hr ago
retta483 commented on photo