Anxiety Community
Anxiety and Marijuana...

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Anxiety and Marijuana...

Hello, I think I've had anxiety issues for a couple of years, but I just didn't know what was going on until just this year. My job made me go through a bad episode. I quit that job, got help. I've been on meds for about 3 months now, and things are getting much better. I still wake up shaking, but it goes away after an hour or so after being away. I have other little things, I don't like them but they let me live my life for the most part.

Ok, here's my question. Does Marijuana make anxiety worst? And if yes how so?

I'm no pothead, but i used to enjoy a bowl or two. I hadn't smoked for over a year and a half. Just recently I had a weekend of fun. My husband and I spent all weekend at home and were nicely baked. For the whole next week I woke up and i wasn't shaking. I was more relaxed and in a better mood. I was able to concentrate in situations that usually drive me crazy.

I thought maybe pot can help me. I googled it and i got a lot of how bad pot is for anxiety, more in the long run then here or now. This throws me off. Why did i feel so good after, if it's supposed to be bad?
Really not sure to why you felt so good the following week. I have seen people be complety normal, and then smoke and they will have crazy anxiety. As for myself, I had to quit a while back, bc i would feel fine and when i smoked i felt like i was going to die from the anixety i was having. It ruined my dad, he grew up in the 70's and it still affects him. He is always shaking. So be careful. Its sounds like it affected you like a nerve pill would. I wake up shaking so bad, anxiety threw the roof, take half a nerve pill and im good to go. So not sure with you...lol good luck:-)

Kalie
I have done the reading too and I just dont get it! Cause I am like you, pot calms me down...but I have anxiety like CRAZY normally.  
Honestly I think it really depends on the person.  There cannot be one straight answer that applies to everyone...as there isnt in most things in life.  A agree with kalie that you should be careful...like...dont turn into a pot head, and dont smoke while having an anxiety attack, but once in a while it is not bad I guess.  
hello. YES WEED DEFINATELY CAUSES ANXIETY! im goin thru it myself rite now n its truly awful
Thanks everyone for your input. I can't turn in to a pot head. I need a clear mind for what i do for a living. I smoke once every few months if that. I agree not to go crazy on it. But it is nice to smoke, then have a week of calm normality. :D. Sorry sha490, I hope your doing better...
Hi.  I am a very anxious person, also, and have tried pot in the past.  For me, this was an awful idea, as being high made me literally crazy to the point where I needed supervision until it wore off.  I think everyone is different tho, but I do advise extreme caution if you choose to do this.  On a side note, I also must avoid sugar and caffeine, since these also make my condition worse.
Hi! Marijuana has actually been proven to help with anxiety, hence the medical marijuana (which is used for many things including nausea, anxiety, headaches, glaucoma, and cancer). Marijuana is not bad for anxiety, but can make it worse if you smoke too much, like anything else. If you get it medically in (pills form, food, or just in it's natural state), they obviously would not prescribe you to do in excess. For example, if you have a headache and take Tylenol, it can help. If you have a headache and take a ton of pills of Tylenol, you will be sick, feeling worse, and potentially overdosed. Which is another great thing about marijuana, you cannot overdose, ever. But, with that said, the reason you feel better, is because it has been proven to help anxiety. I would just keep doing it in moderation, find the right amount that you need to smoke to help you anxiety, and keep it at that level. Also, the strains (Indica's) that contain more Cannabidiol are better for anxiety. This is because the more cannabidiol there is, the more of a body high you will get, instead of the head high that could give you anxiety due to the psychoactive effects. This is why if you are getting different types of marijuana each time, you may experience a different feeling with your anxiety. If you know somebody that can get you an Indica strain (which there are a lot out there), then I think that would help you a lot! But if the one that you have now is working for you, stick with that =). I'm really glad to finally hear somebody using marijuana for their anxiety, and not downing it! It is one of nature's gifts to us, and people should really learn how they can benefit from it! Hope this helps, and hope you feel a lot better soon!!!
melimeli My anxiety is through the r... Comment
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
Please be aware of this!!!!!!
5 hrs ago by gymdandee
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms