Anxiety Community
Anxiety and religion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety and religion

I develpoed new fear or phobia, , it is fear of God :-(
First religion helped me to cope with my depression, but now I fear of God, not that he will punish me, but fear that he exist!
I'm so freaked out and I don't know why I started all of sudden to feel terrified when I think about it. I feel anxious when I think about it, and the more I try to stop thinking about it, it get only worse. The fear is so strong that I think I will go crazy ? Is that possible that because of that fear I will go inase ?
Sorry for my bad English, I hope someone who is religious can help me with this.
Go to see your priest or minister.
GOD LOVES YOU, HE DOES NOT PUT FEAR INTO YOU,READ YOUR BIBLE PRAY,

THINKING OF GOD SHOULD BE A GOOD THING , HES HERE TO HELP YOU, HEAL YOU AND BLESS YOU , HE MADE YOU AND LOVES EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU .
Hello, Lana.  I am a 43 yo Christian woman.  I also suffer anxiety, and control it with meds and therapy.  Tell me how your fear of God works.  Is it that you are afraid He's real, or afraid that He's not?
Given the state of the world I would say this is a rational thought.  There are a lot of troubling things to think about in the world if you're the type who thinks and doesn't just accept things unquestioningly.  While being that type of person is harder, it also makes for new learning and new appreciation of the things you decide to believe.  
I'am afraid he is real, thinking that we are created by someone (God) make me very anxious and I get terrible fear. But yes,fbelieveing helped me about my suicide thoughts and gave me hope, but sometimes I still have that very strong pathological fear of him.
I fear also paranormal things, aliens etc...so maybe that's the case of my fear, because even when I believe in God and I know that he is good, I can't never know or even imgaine how he looks like, so when I start to question how he looks like and universe I freak out so badly.
But now I'm fine,fear disapeared, yesturday it was so strong that I thought I will go insane, so I'm afraid I will again be suffering from the thoughts of God.

Paxiled:I understand ,I'm very emotional person, even thought I believe in God, I would also get terrible fear if he doesn't exist and we are on our own. So, I'm fear that someone created us,and otherwise I would be also terrifed to believe there is no God out there, just we humans. Strange but true.

Heartfluttersflyalwaypls: Thank you for kind words.

I will go soon to psychotherapy to see if I'm going crazy of all these fears.
MY opinion is this has nothing to do with religion or God at all, but rather is an intrusive thought.  Intrusive thoughts are commonly seen in anxiety disorders, OCD.  Have you been diagnosed with anything like that?  Intrusive thoughts usually end up being nothing about the content at all, but just something a person cannot stop thinking about, it's a fear based thought.  People then become obsessed and trying to rationalize the irrational, trying to dissect the thoughts, when typically, there isn't anything to scrutinize.

It just sounds like with the range of your fears (God, paranormal, aliens) that this is an intrusive thought process, and that needs addressed with a professional.  As you've discovered, it's not easy to dismiss those thoughts, you get "stuck" on them and find it hard to stop thinking and "what iffing".

My advice is to handle this with a mental health professional.  At this point, I would handle it that way versus handling it as some kind of spiritual crisis.   In the meantime, you can help yourself by trying to distract yourself as much as possible.  When you're having these thoughts, get up, get out, and get engaged in something else to take your mind off of it.  Don't feed the thoughts by searching the internet about the topics, or trying to think deeply about the subjects.  That will only make the thoughts more prominent.

These kinds of thoughts and "what ifs" are very common and I would bet that almost every person alive has had these thoughts, but the difference is that people without an anxiety issue can think about it, then dismiss it.  People with anxiety can not, therefore it's not healthy to give these kinds of thoughts any credence.  

Best of luck, let us know how you're doing!
TinaR10 So I might have to go into ... Comment
37 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on veronica0808's status
40 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on Yanna26's status
41 mins ago