ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
Anxiety medication and stomach problems????
by plomeli, Aug 23, 2011
Hello I have been taking zoloft for about 2 months then I had another anxiety episode so my doctor told me to go from 25mg to 50 mg anyhow since then my stomach is an absolute mess. I have heartburn I am constantly burping and I feel like my stomach is burning and it makes really strange sounds. Has this ever happened to anyone??? I'm just woried it might be stomach cancer or something!!! Please help. Thanks.
Member Comments (2)
by lynn57, Aug 23, 2011
I had the same reaction as you.  Remember there is usually a temporary increase in anxiety when a dosage is increased.  The increased anxiety can cause more stomach acid and therefore your symptoms.  I confess I take omeprazole for the heartburn.  The burping went away with the anxiety.  My stomach burned so bad I thought I had an ulcer.  You can get prevacid or prilosec over the counter.  Either one should help.  Good luck and excuse yourself!
by Persephone3576, Aug 24, 2011
I've just gone up to 25 mg of Zoloft, and my stomach is a mess also. It should be a temporary side effect that goes away as your body adjusts to the medication. I take Pepto when it gets bad. It's unpleasant, but I prefer to go through this temporary discomfort than live with the awful anxiety!